Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-10-2015, 08:34   #1

Boat: 2005 Precision 23
Boat Insurance

So I'm closing (hopefully this weekend) on a Hallberg Rassy 35 and am looking for insight on sailboat insurance. I used Progressive on my Catalina and they seem an OK provider for the recreational cruiser around the bay, etc. but have some limitations on Bahamas, caribbean, etc. I'm in NW Florida but expecting to head to at least the Bahamas within the next 14 months, so I'm looking at other providers that support that. One I found is Seaworthy that will cover down to Turks Island; they do require a survey (fortunately I just had one done); their coverage is nearly identical and only an additional $125ish per year. Has anyone used Seaworthy? Any really good experiences with Insurance providers that you recommend?Mike
mhansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2015, 08:51   #2

Re: Boat Insurance

I haven't used Seaworthy. Get a few quotes though, it usually pays. For auto insurance, contrary to their advertising, Progressive was pretty much the highest I got a few years ago. By a big margin. This was recently confirmed by a Consumer Reports investigation, Progressive was the 2nd highest of all they did.
If you are not a full time live aboard, it's possible you can get reasonable insurance from your auto insurer and an "add-on" for when you go to the Bahamas if you request it. This can be very reasonable sometimes.
The policy I had many years ago thru my auto insurer covered with in 75 miles of the coast. In theory I could sail down the west coast to san diego and be covered!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2015, 09:00   #3

coming from an ignorant person here.. whats the use of insurance ? i read a bit. and it seems they dont cover this and dont cover that..so?

what does it actually do for you?
BeOur3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2015, 09:10   #4

Boat: Nonsuch 30

Many marinas require at least liability insurance or you can't stay there. We use IMIS's jackline policy and have had no problems to date, but we have not made a claim. Their basic policy covers from the Turks and Caicos to Newfoundland. You pay more if you want to go further. For example they want $385 to cover one month of cruising in Labrador, which is something of a high risk area I suspect. They provided coverage for us around the world.
Old 16-10-2015, 09:11   #5

Liability,....... oil spill, hitting another boat when anchor drags, or when docking. Boat repairs run into thousands fast. Marinas most all require liability now also.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2015, 18:03   #6

so what kind of price are we looking at average??

40 foot catamaran say as an example.
BeOur3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2015, 19:18   #7

Boat: Passport 40

B,
Depends on the boat, the company, where you are sailing, level of experience etc. best thing to do is contact a company and get a quote.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
brookiesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2015, 03:05   #8

Boat: 2005 Precision 23

All,
After getting many quotes I did end up going with Seaworthy, the price was one of the best (not THE best, but close enough) and they cover the Bahamas to Turk Island in the policy. I'm waiting for the actual policy, but according to the broker they also cover 50% of a haulout during a named storm threat. Most of the others only covered out to 75 miles, which impacts even direct trips from Pensacola (home port) to the Keys. On these planned sails I certainly could just pull into Tampa to stay within the 75 mile limit and have a rest, but I want that to be MY decision, not my insurance provider's. I have found a couple marinas that don't require insurance, but I think not having basic liability insurance is taking too much of a risk (just mho).
Bringing Whish up from Tarpon Springs next weekend; looking forward to the trip.
Mike
mhansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2015, 12:34   #9

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

I use Seaworthy. Got a great quote from them that allowed me to keep the boat in FL and sail to the Caribbean.
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance