Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-06-2005, 16:16   #1

Location: Winters - Out Cruising / Summers in the NC mountains
Boat: Brewer 42
Boat in Distress in Belize Waters

Has anyone picked up on this thread concerning a boat in Belize waters and the gov't response to his critical situation?

http://www.renegade-cruisers.org/bb/...pic.php?t=1656

Roger
rleslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2005, 16:10   #2

Boat: Privilege 37
That is incredible. Belize is definitely off my itinery.
Talbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2005, 10:25   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
S/V (Trimaran) “Choupique” (Robert Smith):

Aground at: 18 degrees 10.31 minutes North x 87 degrees 49.74 minutes West
On Ambergris Cay Reef (Belize), about 1.5 km south of Xcalak, Mexico*.

Map:
http://mapserver.maptech.com/homepag...latlontype=DMS

* I've read elsewhere that
"... Xcalak is the most southern town in the state of Quintana Roo, 7 miles by water from Belize ..."

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2005, 10:30   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The rest of the story ...

From choupiquebob @ Renegade Cruisers Forum
Page 7 of the thread “Boater In Distress -Pon Pon Pon!”
http://www.renegade-cruisers.org/bb/...er=asc&start=0
Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 4:31 am
Post subject:
”Thanks Folks...................
.....there's not enough space on this sheet to write all the thank you words to express my very humble appreciation to all you folks...had no idea this was going on during the eternity that I spent ont on the reef on the Choupique
....and special THANKS go out to the lady who guessed my age at 50, try 69
........the best way to sum it up is to simply say EVERYTHING that my new found friend Cliff has written is correct to the letter concerning the sequence of events............
...the Mexican Navy, Port Captain, and citizens of Xcalac have been great
...I have never been contacted by the authorities of Belize at any time during the entire (5) days on the reef
...The damage to the Choupique was minimal and easily repaired if done in timely manner
...I was supposed to sail to San Pedro to meet my daughter and son in law who I had not seen in over two years. They were vacationing there. I had made arrangements with the Mata Chica Hotel to dock on their pier. When I arrived outside the reef at San Pedro I radioed Mata Chica. They had said before they would send a boat to guide me through the reef when I got there. I got there at about 4pm. Somebody at Mata Chica said it was too late to get a boat to come out and help me through the reef. I decided to tack back and forth outside the reef till morning when they would help me get in. I was pushing my known limits to stay at the helm without sleep while single handing, my mistake
......some time around 3:00 AM I dozed off to wake up to the dreaded sound of fiber glass grinding on coral....while on the reef I was approached by a young Belizian, of questionable character, in a kayak who only wanted to know if I had whisky, pot, cocaine, or cigarettes, all the time circling the boat in his kayak, then he went away...next day another belizian in same kayak with similar questions
....it's obvious to me now that I was being watched closely.....no help was offered ....they knew that I would eventually have to capitulate and leave the boat ( the old girl was weakening fast and they knew it)
...............it is now very obvious that after my 5 days of being the only spectator in an on-going drama, the conclusion was reached that told the whole story
......the Mexicans were there immediatelly and ready to help get the Choupique off the reef...the Belizians denied them that offer
....the boat was left with no assistance......but watched closely for the next five (5) days (of ferocious pounding from the sea)
.....I finally was forced to leave the boat to seek help from private sector (remember, Mexican officials were officially banned from helping) and Belizian refused
...I left the boat around 10:00 PM in dingy in storm paddeling to Mexican shore (5) miles away...reached Mex Navy base around daylight
.....Commandant personally took me in tow to the Port Capt office and woke him up
.......that's when I finally met the mysterious Portillo (Cliff)...who immedialely took me to his home and proceeded to cram scrambled eggs and Bacon down me
......after he finally got my eyes un-crossed we went in search of a panga driver to take me back to my boat to retrieve my personal belongings
...we arrived back at my boat around 3:00 pm...To find it completly ransacked (in only (6) hrs! ! ! ..everything that I owned and was dear to me was in that Live-aboard trimaran
....check the time frame , this was the same (6) hrs that Ms Gregg stated that the Belizians had safely removed the Choupique from the reef!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I just recieved on VHF a mesage from one of Cliff's friends that tha Choupique is still afloat ( in three pieces) with two Belizians on board franically removing the mast and diesel.
...I plan to spend a great deal of my time at the computer for the next several months expanding this thread to ever corner of the net that will allow me
......and please take my advice.......Stop off in Belize ONLY IF YOUR LOOKING FOR A LITTLE CRACK (but don't leave your boat)...Sincerely and may you have fair winds and following seas....................................
Bob Smith”

Old 03-07-2005, 11:57   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

From ‘choupiquebob’ at Renegade Cruisers http://www.renegade-cruisers.org/bb/...1656&start=135

“Hello all the sailor-girls and sailor-boys out there who so graciously supported me in a very difficult time during the eternity that was spent on the reef.....Although my new-found friend Cliff was such a great host during my stay in Xcalac, providing a safe haven with a room and bath with a view of the beautiful Caribbean......but still listened to the relentless sound of the sea breaking over the reef (another one of those bad four letter words) all night long as if it́s reminding me of what happens when you fall asleep at the helm!!!!!!! Last night was the first nightśsleep for me since I left Punta Allen, Mex. on June 10-́05......funny we dońt appreciate the wonderful things like a night́s sleep!!!!! Am gradually learning to accept the loss of all my "stuff" and beginning to also begin making plans for another boat...a bit of advice here ,don't EVER make the remark that "some things on my boat I just couldn't do without", you can!!!!
My original desire was to be a naval architect but had to settle on back-up.......One thing that I enjoy almost as much as cruising is re-cycling older "character boats"...the Pique was a 20 yr old trimaran, a buc 33, designed by Lock Crowther, of Australia (deceased) and built in Ontario, Can.....I converted her from a very fast week-end type cruiser to a great little pocket- cruiser for serious cruising for two people.
My request from you is to help me locate another of my favorite designers, James Wharram, and his series of Wharram Cats...the renegade-cruisers would be a great "search-engine" to assist in locating a 32 to 36 foot Wharram cat with sound hull and in need of TLC, and affordable to me.....I still have to wait to see if I get any settlement from the Pique..I doubt it.................I'm presently holed up in a great little hotel in San Cristobel, Mex. writing inter-net mail to every one I can to get the word out about the latest deeds of the Belizian Authorities...............................sincerel y and thanks again, and again.............Bob”

Tags
Belize, distress