Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-08-2009, 11:17   #1
Registered User
 
anjou's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Malvernshire, on the sunny side of the hill.
Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
Posts: 1,905
Boat Hunting

Over the past 5 months ive viewed several boats.All are mid to late 70s built and all are gruby, dirty, run down, poorly maintained with no sign of home comforts, stained torn upholstery, faded yukky curtains, disgustingly dirty galleys and heads, cabins full of junk and crap, wires hanging down everywhere, water stained bulkheads, dirty brightwork, filthy dirty floors, hatches and ports that are hard to opperate or have broken fastenings. Not to mention cracked and faded gel coat, rusty deck fittings,screws missing from fittings etc. All the boats havent had any updating or TLC since they were launched and as such made me feel seasick even though they were all on the hard.In contrast, ive spent so many hours looking at the pic galleries on CF and seen so many stunning and beautiful immaculate boats. Therefore I can only conclude some owners are dirty barstewards. Im losing the will to live and wonder why some people are happy to live and sail on boats that make me want to puke.Putting aside the lack of hygene, I also have an aversion to the outdated style and materials used, the lack of thought in design and asthetics etc.Are there certain makes of boat which are worse than others for poor styling and construction, is it a case of you only get what you pay for?Are these boats all of a certain era like the 70s and therefore more modern boats are generaly better quality.I was a quality auditor with Sealine boats, and as part of the Brunswick leisure group, we strived to make good quality boats. I got used to seeing new, clean tidy boats but now im looking to buy my own, all im finding are boats that leave me feeling depressed.So, to sum up, ......are these boats like they are because of - AgeCertain type of previous ownersPrice rangemanufacturerWhen you go boat hunting, do you find the same things or do your vendors look after their boats and make an effort to present them for sale.
__________________

__________________
www.amy-artimis.blogspot.com
anjou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2009, 11:33   #2
Registered User
 
Eleven's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Southampton UK
Boat: Jaguar 22 mono called Arfur.
Posts: 1,220
Images: 3
I suggest you try MultihullWorld at Emsworth, nr Portsmouth.
I got my thirty yr old boat there and wasn't allowed to view it until the owner finished his tidy up. (Didn't stop me peering through windows of course).
There are usually a few cats there of many makes, all fit for cruising.
If you are stuck for sailing time PM me for day/weekends ON the briny. I'm Southampton based, and in need of working crew until work becomes available again.
__________________

__________________
Ex Prout 31 Sailor, Now it's a 22ft Jaguar called 'Arfur' here in sunny Southampton, UK.
A few places left in Quayside Marina and Kemps Marina.
Eleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2009, 11:35   #3
Moderator Emeritus
 
Pblais's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Hayes, VA
Boat: Gozzard 36
Posts: 8,700
Images: 15
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
Im losing the will to live and wonder why some people are happy to live and sail on boats that make me want to puke.
Old boats over 30 years don't last long neglected. Once neglected, the owners want to lose them like a kid sister on Saturday night. Some of the problems in old designs were Dark wood and dark fabrics (popular if you can believe that). Narrow beams with few ports are always going to look dark too. They didn't have the materials to make the nice big ports they make today.

You can change things .Fabric and upholstery on a boat does not do well after 15 years - even the good stuff. The modern fabrics and foam are now better than ever and come in all colors not just navy with white ticking. That alone changes the interior look. Quality lighter colors help a lot on older dark wood interiors. Adding updated LED light fixtures can help too. These are things you should expect to need in an older boat unless redone in the past 8 years. Some boats have the really nice closed cell foam and those can be recovered without replacement.

As far as other issues, you should expect a fair amount of work in a 1970's boat. It really won't get much better until late 1980's. I think for the money the late 80's are far better than the 70's for older boats in terms of cost up front plus cost to repair.

You need to reset your price range to match your wants or get used to what you see for sale. You can always keep looking. Have you done any looking t the US boats on Yachtworld. Not that you should buy one in the US but it has the largest number of boats and can give a lot of pictures to view and see what types of boats are out there for sale.

Quote:
Its better to regret something you have done, than to regret not having done it.
I think you would prefer to have a boat that was yours. It changes how it looks.
__________________
Paul Blais
s/v Bright Eyes Gozzard 36
37 15.7 N 76 28.9 W
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2009, 11:46   #4
CF Adviser
 
Intentional Drifter's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Pac NW
Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
Posts: 1,283
I second Paul's comments. Anjou, I know you're in the UK so this might not apply, but you might want to look at some of the boats that are in local sailing clubs. I know that one of our local clubs has a fair number of older boats, but they work hard at keeping them in good shape. Occasionally, one of them comes on the market. For example, here's this very nice CS 30 that is a real gem:
Windworks Sailing And Powerboating, Inc (Seattle, WA)

I agree with your sentiments - if the boat looks and smells like a pig pen, lord only knows what's wrong with those things you can't easily see.

ID
__________________
Intentional Drifter

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2009, 11:48   #5
Eternal Member
 
imagine2frolic's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Las Brisas Panama AGAIN!
Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Posts: 4,508
Images: 123
This boat hunting thing can be quite difficult. I have been lucky both of my searches went well. Frolic took about ten looks at other boats until I ran into her. Imagine was a one stop shop. I saw her on the computer, and then in life. With a couple of weeks she was mine.......BEST WISHES in the search......i2f
__________________
SAILING is not always a slick magazine cover!
BORROWED..No single one of is as smart as all of us!
http://sailingwithcancer.blogspot.com/
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2009, 11:55   #6
Senior Cruiser
 
Cheechako's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Skagit City, WA
Posts: 19,369
Anjou.... I've forgotten what your budget is, also where are you willing to buy? UK only? With this info more could help...
__________________
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2009, 12:11   #7
Registered User
 
anjou's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Malvernshire, on the sunny side of the hill.
Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
Posts: 1,905
Once I reveal my budget, some will laugh and say 'what do you expect for the money' but i disagree.I drive a 7 year old wv golf. its done 147000 miles and is immaculate condition with the service schedule stamped up to date.My appartment is in pristine condition with no clutter and you could eat off the floor.So why am I expected to accept that when something is a few years old, its ok for it to be trashed and completely f**ked?I used to have a fetish for William Garden, Formosa type ketches, probably because of the Capt Ron factor. They have at first glance, the old world romantic sailing charm about them. The reality is different, so ive become more realistic and would rather a boat which needs some work, not a total rebuild.You might well knock tupperware but Ive been looking at beneteau's and they have a good compromise of size to space, design, affordability, etc.Ok, so im looking at about 30k Sterling, 32-36ft lOAPreferably Uk based for ease of viewing,transfer both delivery and taxation/paperwork
__________________
www.amy-artimis.blogspot.com
anjou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2009, 12:11   #8
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
Posts: 2,439
What type of boat are you looking for, Anjou? If it is a cat (as Eleven suggests, above), then what you are likely seeing in the UK from the 70's will be Prouts, Catalacs, Iroquois/Cherokees and some Solaris. All made use of (eventually) saggy vinyl headliners (or even painted, rough frp) and are bound to look tired inside, to some degree, if they have not had a major refit. Ratty rigging and hardware, however, is inexcusable and should steer you clear of any boat.

If you are looking at monohulls, then you are likely to find a number that made use of molded frp headliners and interior pans, which hold up better over the years even if they are initially more austere. On the other hand, the exterior gelcoat on any 30 plus year old boat is bound to be rough unless the boat has been awlgripped (or painted with some other 2 part polyurethane paint) - again, something requiring a substantial 'reinvestment' in terms of both time and money.

It is trite to say that, if you are lucky, you get what you pay for. I am unsure of your budget, but to find a boat in bristol condition may require you to go to something smaller (and newer, or at least substantially upgraded) than you have been checking out, to date.

Brad
__________________
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2009, 12:12   #9
Registered User
 
Allan S's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Lake Ontario, Canada
Boat: Seafarer 38 cutter rigged
Posts: 263
Images: 5
Send a message via MSN to Allan S
Quote:
Originally Posted by anjou View Post
Over the past 5 months ive viewed several boats.All are mid to late 70s built and all are gruby, dirty, run down, poorly maintained with no sign of home comforts, stained torn upholstery, faded yukky curtains, disgustingly dirty galleys and heads, cabins full of junk and crap, wires hanging down everywhere, water stained bulkheads, dirty brightwork, filthy dirty floors, hatches and ports that are hard to opperate or have broken fastenings. Not to mention cracked and faded gel coat, rusty deck fittings,screws missing from fittings etc. All the boats havent had any updating or TLC since they were launched and as such made me feel seasick even though they were all on the hard.In contrast, ive spent so many hours looking at the pic galleries on CF and seen so many stunning and beautiful immaculate boats. Therefore I can only conclude some owners are dirty barstewards. Im losing the will to live and wonder why some people are happy to live and sail on boats that make me want to puke.Putting aside the lack of hygene, I also have an aversion to the outdated style and materials used, the lack of thought in design and asthetics etc.Are there certain makes of boat which are worse than others for poor styling and construction, is it a case of you only get what you pay for?Are these boats all of a certain era like the 70s and therefore more modern boats are generaly better quality.I was a quality auditor with Sealine boats, and as part of the Brunswick leisure group, we strived to make good quality boats. I got used to seeing new, clean tidy boats but now im looking to buy my own, all im finding are boats that leave me feeling depressed.So, to sum up, ......are these boats like they are because of - AgeCertain type of previous ownersPrice rangemanufacturerWhen you go boat hunting, do you find the same things or do your vendors look after their boats and make an effort to present them for sale.
Anjou, you just described ALL the things I seem to be looking in a boat. I wish I could get excited over a turn-key boat but I look and find these homeless , decrepit lonely hulls and I want to take them home and lavish the attention on them that they deserve. I am sick.

Allan
__________________
Our Coronado 25, Not named yet!
http://coronado25.blogspot.com/
http://sheppard1961.blogspot.ca/
Allan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2009, 12:23   #10
Registered User
 
anjou's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Malvernshire, on the sunny side of the hill.
Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
Posts: 1,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan S View Post
Anjou, you just described ALL the things I seem to be looking in a boat. I wish I could get excited over a turn-key boat but I look and find these homeless , decrepit lonely hulls and I want to take them home and lavish the attention on them that they deserve. I am sick.

Allan
Maybe we should swap as all i want to do when i go aboard one of these grotty boats is wipe my feet and wash my hands. I cant understand how someone can own and neglect or worse, live in squallor and filth.I appreciate design and customer expectation have improved over the years, a lot of 70s stuff we thought was hip and cool is actually crap and naff, so saggy head linings, dark stained wood and slit windows, gally counter tops done in tile that cant be kept clean, drapes that dont work, cushions are so thin they compress to nothing when you sit on them etc, go with the 70s territory. i could go on but im sure youve seen it too.I want something thats easy to keep, cheap to keep, makes me feel happy, not depressed by the work that needs doing.
__________________
www.amy-artimis.blogspot.com
anjou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2009, 12:28   #11
Eternal Member
 
imagine2frolic's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Las Brisas Panama AGAIN!
Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Posts: 4,508
Images: 123
Have you thought of looking outside of England? If I hadn't bought Imagine I would have gone to Thailand for a Hans Christian Christina. It was 60% of the cost of the same boat in Calif. There was no cruising gear, but $20k would've solved that problem, or less.

There are deals to be had, and in many destinations where they lay. Places where the dreams don't equal reality. Divorces occur, or the boat left behind. I once had to leave Frolic in Cabo to return to the states. There were a half dozen boats in the yard for sale for these very reasons. There are always boats in the northern part of the Sea of Cortez, I think San Carlos?

What about down under where the lb is strong against the Aussie $ ? Then again markj went from downunder to the Caribbean to purchase his boat. The internet is a great tool. You found all of us..........i2f
__________________
SAILING is not always a slick magazine cover!
BORROWED..No single one of is as smart as all of us!
http://sailingwithcancer.blogspot.com/
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2009, 12:33   #12
Senior Cruiser
 
Talbot's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Brighton, UK
Boat: Privilege 37
Posts: 3,579
Images: 32
Anjou

Suggest you go to Multihullworld in Emsworth and have a look at some of their boats - condition ranges from in need of major refit, to those that have recently had a major refit .

The brokers are very knowledgeable about multis and they definitely have boats in your price range - My recently refitted 9m Catalac went for less.
__________________
"Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors - and miss."
Robert A Heinlein
Talbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2009, 12:59   #13
Registered User
 
anjou's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Malvernshire, on the sunny side of the hill.
Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
Posts: 1,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
Have you thought of looking outside of England? If I hadn't bought Imagine I would have gone to Thailand for a Hans Christian Christina. It was 60% of the cost of the same boat in Calif. There was no cruising gear, but $20k would've solved that problem, or less.

There are deals to be had, and in many destinations where they lay. Places where the dreams don't equal reality. Divorces occur, or the boat left behind. I once had to leave Frolic in Cabo to return to the states. There were a half dozen boats in the yard for sale for these very reasons. There are always boats in the northern part of the Sea of Cortez, I think San Carlos?

What about down under where the lb is strong against the Aussie $ ? Then again markj went from downunder to the Caribbean to purchase his boat. The internet is a great tool. You found all of us..........i2f
I hear what your saying and it makes sense. One guy told me Gibraltar is a good place for divorce and marriage saving boats. The loving couple cruise the Med, but she eventually wants to go home and spend time with the grand kids and becomes dissolusioned, then at Gib, they have a day of high seas and bad weather and thats the last straw. He has to chose between wife or boat, ...........poor boat gets advertised and left at the marina.All I can say is, poor guy is with the wrong woman.
__________________
www.amy-artimis.blogspot.com
anjou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2009, 13:08   #14
Eternal Member
 
imagine2frolic's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Las Brisas Panama AGAIN!
Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Posts: 4,508
Images: 123
All I can say is, poor guy is with the wrong woman.


This is exactly what I was describing, and your last sentence is so right. I have been through a marriage, and several girlfriends, but always kept the boat! I told Melanie when I met her. The boat will always be #1, and she would be #2, as I would be #3. Her, and I are easily exhangable, but not the boat. To some the boat was a threat. For Mel she understood my desire, and passion for what I do is unshakable.....i2f
__________________
SAILING is not always a slick magazine cover!
BORROWED..No single one of is as smart as all of us!
http://sailingwithcancer.blogspot.com/
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2009, 13:11   #15
Registered User
 
Eleven's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Southampton UK
Boat: Jaguar 22 mono called Arfur.
Posts: 1,220
Images: 3
Please don't start that discussion all over again. Lets just hope it never happens to any of us.
__________________

__________________
Ex Prout 31 Sailor, Now it's a 22ft Jaguar called 'Arfur' here in sunny Southampton, UK.
A few places left in Quayside Marina and Kemps Marina.
Eleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone Converted a Racing Boat to Cruising ? videorov Monohull Sailboats 43 10-05-2014 15:52
Boat Registration for German Partner in Brit Boat wassermann44 Rules of the Road, Regulations & Red Tape 0 30-03-2009 19:57
powersailer, diving boat, trailersailer, fishing boat, sailboat, powerboat, 12"draft BernieOdin820owner Fishing, Recreation & Fun 1 04-12-2007 18:56
Treasure Hunting Article GordMay Fishing, Recreation & Fun 2 28-09-2006 09:04



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 21:56.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.