Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-08-2009, 14:37   #31

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
Scared of doing something wrong or making a big mistake. Im all ive got in this world, so I need to be careful and cant afford mistakes
Old 18-08-2009, 16:37   #32

Boat: Seafarer 38 cutter rigged
Send a message via MSN to Allan S
Being scared is natural, don't let that fear rule you though. We are going to make that huge jump within the year to be livaboards, at 47 that is a huge leap, but my wife is so supportive and eager so that helps.

The military has a policy, "Do something, do anything", not to act in a situation just bring heap of crap down upon you. You'll survive a good action, you'll survive a bad action but the Navy will crucify you for not doing anything. I think it is as good as a mantra as anything I've come across.

Just remember Anjou, no matter what the outcome of any decision you make, it will not, nor ever be the end of the world. Just making a decision, any decision, will make you a better and more interesting person.....Allan
Allan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2009, 16:44   #33

I think in light of my lack of experience, its prudent to postpone this decision for a year while i do some fundamental groundwork and then if i feel the same, im in a stronger position to make the right decision
Old 18-08-2009, 17:24   #34

Boat: Far From Turtle: 1980 Pearson 424 cutter rigged ketch
Anjou

I feel exactly the same way as you except we've been at it since October of 2007. We keep raising our budget and finding larger filthy worn old pos boats.

However, twere I you at this point! I would check out Croatia - much closer to you than to me. Seems to me the planetary cheapest place to buy a large boat is there!

I despise old filthy boats. you know the spousal unit thinks you'll clean up the filth while he works on the engine. please - just sink these nasty worthless....oh sorry - I'm losing control. I need a drink.
First Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2009, 18:02   #35

Boat: Seafarer 38 cutter rigged
Send a message via MSN to Allan S
Quote:
Originally Posted by First Mate View Post
Anjou

I feel exactly the same way as you except we've been at it since October of 2007. We keep raising our budget and finding larger filthy worn old pos boats.

However, twere I you at this point! I would check out Croatia - much closer to you than to me. Seems to me the planetary cheapest place to buy a large boat is there!

I despise old filthy boats. you know the spousal unit thinks you'll clean up the filth while he works on the engine. please - just sink these nasty worthless....oh sorry - I'm losing control. I need a drink.
I feel faint!...lol
Allan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2009, 19:24   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
If I could have her for 25k i would cease this analysis paralysis im suffering, get off the fence and take the plunge, - I think !!
OK, you got pretty close. You get there by walking docks and learning lessons of boats that didn't make the grade or blew the budget. It means when the right one comes along you won't just think it's the one - you'll know.

The boat has to work and the money has to work. You get there as best you can. You say if you could have had that price all those other problems go away. The bigger question is why? These are things you can sort out looking at boats. When would a little extra money put you over the edge and kill or close the deal? It's a theoretical question that you'll answer when you close on a boat. They all come with the good and bad items. I think it's less about waiting a year than dealing with those hard questions only you can answer. Staying in the hunt I think helps. It brings focus to real boats for sale that you can see and crawl around in.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2009, 20:12   #37

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
- - Hey, don't disparage filthy old boats - - remember "My Fair Lady" the movie, there are some incredible gems hidden under that dirt. You just have to know where and how to look. That is why rushing to buy something now, anything now is IMHO a big mistake. Take a couple of years at least to look around and more importantly - every time you look you learn!
- - However, that being said - after about a year you need to be able to act. Some incredible hidden gems occasionally pass under your nose and if you are ready to strike, you will end up with one of them. But remember, the first boat you own is always a wrong one unless you have incredible mojo (or karma). Kind of like the first spouse, generally the wrong one but I have met cruising couples who have married after high school and have such incredible love and understanding for each that you want to cry with happiness. Just like the hidden gem under the "filthy old boat" exterior you may just find your dreams there. If not, keep looking some more. Some do it by luck but the safest way is educating yourself and looking at everything.
- - Spend some time hanging around boatyards for Do-it-yourselfers, and you will learn tons of good information about how boats are made and what goes wrong over time. You will see a lot of used steel owners crying but a few smiling ear to ear after finding one of the truly cared for boats. IMHO steel is the first choice, but finding a good one, I believe is really like winning a lottery.
- - The vast numbers of FRG boats is daunting, but you have a statistical better chance of finding an acceptable vessel. But you need to learn what to look for first.
- - Besides all the places mentioned, Trinidad or any "end of the cruising line port" should not be overlooked. There are a lot of new cruisers who after bashing and crashing and living on the tilt or living without shopping malls that fly home to land and put the boats up for sale. As the boats sit there the prices lower and you can find some "gems."
- - Buying old boats with the plan to sail the oceans can often be a "double deal" - You pay for the boat (remember "asking price" is normally 1/3 higher than selling price) and then you pay an equal amount again to make it ocean ready, ready for safe navigation and living full time on. Nothing is cheap anymore. There are ways to save significant money but still end up paying the same amount by just buying more things.
- - Safety and survivability for ocean sailing is half skill and experience and half the amount of wise money you put into preparing the vessel.
- - Luckily for the serious newcomers to cruising, there are increasing amounts of people who should not be out there on the oceans. The lucky part is that they get quickly scared or disgusted and more good boats go on the market.
- - It is a very steep learning curve of self education to get to the point of knowing or having a good prospect of finding a good boat. After that the education continues but in between you are floating in an incredible bay or harbor sipping rum punches or fine wine watching incredible sunsets and green flashes. And with you are folks from other boats sharing the joy and reveling in the "good life."
- - But do not kid yourself, you can kill yourself out there on the oceans and islands very quick. The education never stops. I spent a career - half a century - above the ground and learned that the old saying is true. Aviation is hours and hours and hours of shear boredom punctuated by a few moments of stark terror. With sailing/cruising it is more like, months and months and months of boredom punctuated by a few days or a week of stark terror. The trick is to outlive your mistakes and the joy of accomplishment comes in the style in which you did it. Sharing great sea stories (of actual experiences) is part of the bond between cruising sailors. Maybe it is what makes the community so unique, we have faced the ocean and all that Mother Nature has thrown our way and survived to tell the stories.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2009, 23:04   #38

Thank you to you all for saying the things i need to hear and for helping to enure i see things properly.
Old 19-08-2009, 01:37   #39

Boat: Privilege 37
Anjou

Have you seen this one

Clicky

Might be worth a visit. Nice looking boat, and the interior is good.
Old 19-08-2009, 01:42   #40

Too long, too much money and isnt fero like a can of worms?Thanks for looking though.
Old 19-08-2009, 03:15   #41

ferro has had bad press due to a lot of very badly amateur made hulls. A professional build in ferro is a much better investment than one in steel.

Because of the bad name, a ferro build tends to be a lot of boat for the money - however, you then have the resale problem, so ferro is not a short term investment.

I would certainly recommend that you do not just dismiss ferro, and it may be feasible for a hefty price reduction.

Shortening it would be a little more difficult

Old 19-08-2009, 03:53   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talbot View Post
Shortening it would be a little more difficult

Its easy enough to knock down a wall and rebuild and at least there are no footings to worry about on a boat, but I guess the damp proof course needs close attention.I spose your right from a buyers point of view but a problem when it comes to resale. My first introduction to ferro was seeing sunken wartime barges when i was a kid. I couldnt understand how something as heavy as concrete could float.Some silly people cant understand how a glider doesnt fall from the sky without the engine to keep it there.
Old 19-08-2009, 04:05   #43

There is a concrete wartime barge on the Norfolk Broads that has been afloat for most of the 60+ years since it was built. The construction gets stronger as it ages for the first 2 or 3 years. As far as weight is concerned, I think they are actually lighter than a steel boat of equivalent size.
Old 19-08-2009, 07:05   #44

Boat: 1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch "Lady Catherine II", 1973 Bristol 34 - "Our Baby"(RIP), Catalina 22
Still available..

Anjou, this one I showed you in NY is still available and has been for a while. Maybe someone here who lives in the area would be willing to go give her a look-see and report back? (hint hint!)

1977 Formosa 41' Formosa Ketch sailboat for sale in New York
and peace and tranquility reign forever!
1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch
Fishman_Tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2009, 07:29   #45

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
- - Just a suggestion on the 41' Formosa, wooden masts and a lot of wooden deck and cabin top. Unless it is being maintained constantly you might just be in for a serious amount of money to bring it back up to ocean ready.
- - As I mentioned in this or other similar threads - note the final words of the description - "Sold as Is." That is normal in almost all used boat sales agreements. It translates to once you pay your money you don't get any of it back. All hidden and even obvious problems are now your problems. That is why education/learning about how to inspect a boat is so cruicial to help avoid a heartbreaking experience.
- - Surveyors are normally only there to do "insurance" write-ups and rarely want to or even know how to really inspect a boat. And for insurance purposes you really do not want them to be too diligent so unless something is obvious they will overlook it.
- - A good friend who has been in the boat repair business for at least a decade or more can give you a much better report on what the boat is really like. Hanging around boatyards and learning and then getting to be friends with the better craftsmen can lead to avoiding some serious oversights or problems. Buying used boats is the peak of the "Buyer beware" experience. Look at everything reasonable if only to learn what you do not want.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote