Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-08-2009, 13:53   #16
S&S

Boat: 48' 1963 S&S yawl
Bunch of UK boats around your requirements.

Take a peek ( they're not all FRP, but a number look pretty nice- get a good survey)
Here.
S&S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2009, 14:10   #17

Boat: O'day 322 "Southern Comfort"
What is the size range of boat that you have been looking at?

When I started to look, I had $38k US and was looking for something from 36 foot to 38 foot. All boats in that size that fell into my price range were as you described (old and rotten hehe). I dropped down to 32 to 33 foot and the boats tended to be newer and in better shape. I was amazed at what only a couple of feet in length cost.

One more thing-all boats for sale online looked far worse in person than in the pictures in the ad. Even the pictures of mine were from ten years ago during the last survey.

I wish you luck and keep us posted.
SouthernComfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2009, 14:12   #18
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
One more thing-all boats for sale online looked far worse in person than in the pictures in the ad.

That can go for online dating too........i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2009, 14:19   #19
S&S

Boat: 48' 1963 S&S yawl
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
One more thing-all boats for sale online looked far worse in person than in the pictures in the ad.

That can go for online dating too........i2f
Quoted for truth. (both)
S&S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2009, 15:24   #20

There is no accounting for the way some sellers maintain or fail to maintain sailboats which they presumably once loved.

OTOH, some of the best deals are boats owned by people who make a distinction between the boat part and the living part. These people are always single men or men whose wives/girlfriends refuse to set foot on the boat. The boats are characterized by: immaculate well maintained engines, newer rigging, clean fair bottoms, good sails and ground tackle, leak proof hatches and ports, etc. Plus, dirty laundry in the V berth, grease stained settees covered in shop manuals, hair in the sink, scuffed up soles, and 3 hamburger patties, a half dozen eggs, a six pack of beer, and a pound of bacon in the fridge.

Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2009, 16:10   #21

That Graham Roberts 35 appears to have a skeg hung rudder (?) cant tell for sure. A lot of boat for $30K Lb, year 2000?, must be a story there..... Never heard of a lot of those UK boats.....
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2009, 16:24   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
40 year old fibreglass...

There looks to be a theme running through some of the horror stories that we get from time to time that involves very old fibreglass boats. Any badly maintained 35 year old boat is going to be problematic. Most of them will be fibreglass.

You have some experience of boats but you may be underestimating by a wide margin the work and money needed to put a boat into good condition, and to keep it that way. Think at least double the boat value in money and 3 years (minimum) in time.

I'm only guessing but I would think that if you were to take the "improvement" money and add it to what you can save in the time it would take to upgrade one of these "projects" it might buy you the boat that you want.

The boats that you are looking at are in bad condition because the owner ran out of time and money and gave up.

I would strongly urge you to keep working, keep looking and when the budget gets to the point that you can buy the boat that you want look a little further.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2009, 02:08   #23

Boat: 36' Magellan "Steady Beat"
Quote:
Originally Posted by anjou View Post
Over the past 5 months ive viewed several boats.All are mid to late 70s built and all are gruby, dirty, run down, poorly maintained with no sign of home comforts, stained torn upholstery, faded yukky curtains, disgustingly dirty galleys and heads, cabins full of junk and crap, wires hanging down everywhere, water stained bulkheads, dirty brightwork, filthy dirty floors, hatches and ports that are hard to opperate or have broken fastenings.
When I first started looking, it was the same story - I quickly learnt that a favorable price/size situation would only work in my favor if the owner was desperate to sell. Looking at "attractively priced" boats otherwise is a waste of time.

Unfortunately, these situations tend to happen most often in the more exotic locales - but nevertheless will likely be featured online. Just keep your powder dry, search regularly and be prepared to act quickly. Plan ahead for importing a purchased boat from another country.

In the UK, the US East Coast and all European destinations should be on your radar.

Good Luck, BWS
BlueWaterSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2009, 04:05   #24

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by S&S View Post
Take a peek ( they're not all FRP, but a number look pretty nice- get a good survey)
Here.
I love the look and sound of the Hartley steel but Im sure theres a mis print of something wrong if its built in 2000 and only 28kAnyway, im going to be 50 miles from the marina this weekend so might pop along for a peek.
Old 14-08-2009, 07:40   #25

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Be very careful of used metal boats especially steel. There is an apt phrase "never buy used steel" with some major exceptions - A seized boat in government drug raid and a boat where the meticulous owner just died. You need to inspect carefully all the interior stringers and welds especially in the bilge areas. Any sign of internal rust (brown/orange water) and the boat is a no-no. Steel rusts from the inside out when not kept dry and well painted. Additionally if the bottom paint is copper based and there are gashes or exposed steel hull showing or insufficient primer between the steel and copper bottom paint - then the plates may be porous from electrolysis.
- - During 19 years in a boatyard I saw many a new owner of used steel sitting with tears running down their face after they found extensive porosity or rusted through stringers and plating. Also the steel should be "Cor-Ten" (or corten) which is a special alloy of steel use to build ships. Other mild steels will rust through with amazing speed.
- - There are "gems" out there, just be careful and know what to look for. Buying a used boat is a "buyer beware" situation - after the money is paid, the problems are all yours. You don't get your money back.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2009, 14:05   #26

I went to view the steel hull boat at the weekend but due to poor admin by the broker, its actually off the market while under offer, but not to waste the journey and day, I had a look at a Lohi 34. Built in 76, full sail locker and a Perky 4 108. She is in top condition, full maintenance records, immaculate and loved by an older couple. Centre cockpit with dog house and aft double cabin. loads of extras, gas water heater, shower, 2 WCs, eberspacher heat, gas hob, 12v fridge, 240v shore power, electric saloon heating etc. Many extras. Couple are retiring from sailing. Chatted to the marina buddy and he couldnt praise the boat or the owners highly enough.Now for the sad part, Its too much money for me at £35k. That would leave too little in the bank for my sanity and continued happiness/ peace of mind.So, is it the case that smaller 70s built boats were not designed to be liveaboards in those days, and the larger ones which do have enough room and are tidy, are still going to be out of my price range?One thing I have noticed is although there is a lot of storage on this boat, there is no where to hang wet clothing and having a separate aft cabin means you have to perform gymnastics getting in and out of the hatch and unless the cockpit cover is fitted to the dog house, the weather is straight in and soaking the bed.
Old 18-08-2009, 14:17   #27

35k less 30% = 25k :>) An aging couple who are extemely proud of their boat are probably the hardest to negotiate with though.... then again... if they really want to be rid of it and the related costs, and you convince them "you love her"..... Also if they bought it in '76 they probably paid a lot less than they are asking!
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2009, 14:21   #28

Boat: Jaguar 22 mono called Arfur.
Still searching then. If you like it make an offer you can afford. You never know. They loved their boat and will want to see it going to a good home, not to someone who'll park their motorbike on the foredeck so they can rebuild the engine in the saloon. And ask for a trial sail so they get to know you a little bit.
Eberspachers tend to be high maintenance but great when they are working.
A double berth deems small for a 34, is there room for temporary bunk in the saloon.
Batteries will only last five to eight years, receipt history for that sort of thing gives agood idea of NEXT major re-fit.
I have three batteries which can drive a 700watt 230V output thingy that charges phones, drives a slow cooker, etc etc. Mine came with seven Solar panels and give me all the electric I can use, but they are expensive to add.
Liferaft's are expensive too. Sails relatively cheap.
Wet clothes should be hung in the cockpit, it just depends on what hooks you add and what canopy you are prepared to leave in place for sailing. I bang my head on mine so it's down for sailing, and annoying in the marina. I prefer to do without it.
Allow for at least a one/two man dinghy and servicing of lifebelts etc. Good Luck.
Old 18-08-2009, 14:28   #29

If I could have her for 25k i would cease this analysis paralysis im suffering, get off the fence and take the plunge, - I think !!Ive had the money in the bank for several years and although its earning no interest at the moment, Its comforting to know its there, but i cant take it with me and im not afloat either.
Old 18-08-2009, 14:32   #30

Boat: Jaguar 22 mono called Arfur.
You know it doesn't make sense. Sailing never does!
So why haven't you done it yet?