Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2007, 21:05   #1

Boat Hours Needed

I have taken a few vacation stye courses at Offshore Sailing School and I'm looking to make sailing into a full time career but before I can complete my 6 Pack I need boat hours. Are there jobs out there that will provide me with the hours I require? Any help would be great.

thanks
Josh
jaydub74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 21:13   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
There are lots of jobs out there on boats, they may not be sailing yachts, but they are out there. Google "maritime jobs" and you will find a bunch of links to employment sites. Professional mariner jobs are going to pay better and are more prevalent than the yachtie jobs. At least you will be able to get your 365 days of sea time this way. You will probably be able to get better than a 6-pack, like a 100 ton. BTW, getting a sail endorsement on a license is a no-brainer. So don't worry about getting sailing time.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 15:35   #3

BTW, getting a sail endorsement on a license is a no-brainer. So don't worry about getting sailing time.

Thanks - by sailing endorsement you mean finding a job that will give me the days/ hours I need to put towards a 6 PACk?
Old 06-12-2007, 15:41   #4
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydub74 View Post
BTW, getting a sail endorsement on a license is a no-brainer. So don't worry about getting sailing time.

Thanks - by sailing endorsement you mean finding a job that will give me the days/ hours I need to put towards a 6 PACk?
No, he means getting the part of your license that enables you to be master of a sailboat. It's a simple 15 minute test of basic sailing skills (written) at the end of your regular license (OUPV or Masters). It's like an "add on" that lets you sail (or tow or whatever else).

Otherwise, your license is good for power by default (without the sailing endorsement)
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 11:34   #5

I don't have my OUPV or Masters, I just taking some basic classes. In order to get a OUPV (6 pack) I need 360 days at sea or something like that. Is correct. Could someone lay out the career path or school path until I reach masters & requirements. I'm a little confused.

thanks
Old 07-12-2007, 11:43   #6

Boat: Tayana 37
Send a message via Yahoo to ughmo2000
Do a search on sea schools, you'll get all the info on the requirements you need.

Best of luck!
ughmo2000 is offline   Reply With Quote