Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-09-2017, 15:32   #31

Boat: BLock Island 40 Yawl S/V Honeymoon
Re: Boat Destroyed Now What?

But about 3 or 4 years ago somebody brought an old 40ish foot long wooden fishing boat and motored up the Penobscot River

Jtsailjt
I sailed past that just last weekend.
Old 13-09-2017, 17:22   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Being responsible for cleaning up your own wreck. This for US boats only, I don't know anywhere else.
Way I see it, it's a catch 22. By that I mean that likely the ones at the most risk are the people that live on a boat because they can't afford to live on land, their job doesn't pay enough. Likely smaller, older vessels that may not have all the fancy oversized new gen anchors and all chain rode with new snubbers, chain stoppers etc.
They are the most likely to have to ride it out at anchor, yet are least likely to carry the kind of Insurence to clean up a wreck, and only a very few of us can afford the clean up costs as I have seen some quotes that are to me way overpriced.

Way I see it is the most at risk are the least likely to be able to afford it.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2017, 17:32   #33

What happens to all the reusable parts, ?
Even motors not been underwater etc
PeeWee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2017, 17:33   #34

Boat: 1978 Cabo Rico Tiburon 36 "Isabella"

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeWee View Post
What happens to all the reusable parts, ?
Even motors not been underwater etc

eBay!
Old 17-09-2017, 22:27   #35

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Did no one notice the change to Delancey's avatar? Where it says boat, he has written: sunk in Irma

Sorry for your loss, Delancey.

Ann
Old 17-09-2017, 22:27   #36

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Did no one notice the change to Delancey's avatar? Where it says boat, he has written: sunk in Irma

Sorry for your loss, Delancey.

Ann
Old 17-09-2017, 23:09   #37

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

I missed that too. Hope you are ok, Delancey. Let us know how you are pulling it together. Always good to reach out for help if you need some.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2017, 01:06   #38

Boat: a sailing boat

Indeed. Very sad news.

Hey Delancey, what happened?

What's your plan next?

Hugs from me and my crew,
barnakiel
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2017, 03:49   #39

Thanks guys.

I know that my strong opinions and the sometimes-less-than-warm-and-fuzzy way I express them make me not the forum's most popular participant, so your kind words mean a lot and are appreciated.

Yeah, she's gone. She was our home for more than five years and took us on many great adventures to far away places. And now she is waiting patiently for a big crane on a barge to pull her from the water and deliver her to a garbage dump somewhere. It breaks my heart.

The first year we moved aboard we had Sandy in NYC, last year we were living in Savannah for Mathew, this year we had five amazing months in the Bahamas before we moved to Miami to get jobs again and work on building the kitty. Now Irma comes along. Third times a charm I guess, or in this case a curse.

I purposely never kept track of the money or hours I put into her. New engine, new prop, new shaft, new seal, new fuel tank, new exhaust, new hoses, new battery bank, new 12v cabling, new galley cabinetry, new stove, new refrigeration, new sink, new Corian counter tops, new nav station, new VHF, new EPIRB, new cabin sole, new head, new cushions, new dodger, new sail cover, new sheets, new halyards, new, new, new, new....

Not that I minded, it made me happy (well, sometimes it really pissed me off, mainly when doing boat yoga or working on the head or skinning knuckles working on whatever). She was a great boat with a great cockpit and a joy to sail. She always took good care of us. And now she is gone. We are both in a bit of a fugue state.

But hey, we are safe and sound and have a roof over our heads and most of our stuff. There are many people out there who aren"t so fortunate. We'll get another boat someday....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RIP.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	449.5 KB
ID:	156305  
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2017, 03:54   #40
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Digging into the archives of my mind.....

I grew up in South NJ. Dad was a clam digger, 32' Garvey, a bit of tumble home to the transome. We NEVER went out, if just for milk, without checking on the boat. She sank twice. IIRC both times the ice froze fast to the hull and dock at low tide and held her down as the tide rose.

Those were tough hits for a poor man with a family. He ponied up and had the motor replaced. Small Grey Marine gas engine. Not much else in those boats to hurt. Just white cedar.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2017, 04:06   #41
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Delancey,

We cross posted.

Sorry to hear of your loss. I know that we have become very attached to our boats, too much sweat equity and sweet memories.

Time heals.

Good luck.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2017, 04:30   #42

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
Thanks guys.

I know that my strong opinions and the sometimes-less-than-warm-and-fuzzy way I express them make me not the forum's most popular participant, so your kind words mean a lot and are appreciated.

Yeah, she's gone. She was our home for more than five years and took us on many great adventures to far away places. And now she is waiting patiently for a big crane on a barge to pull her from the water and deliver her to a garbage dump somewhere. It breaks my heart.

The first year we moved aboard we had Sandy in NYC, last year we were living in Savannah for Mathew, this year we had five amazing months in the Bahamas before we moved to Miami to get jobs again and work on building the kitty. Now Irma comes along. Third times a charm I guess, or in this case a curse.

I purposely never kept track of the money or hours I put into her. New engine, new prop, new shaft, new seal, new fuel tank, new exhaust, new hoses, new battery bank, new 12v cabling, new galley cabinetry, new stove, new refrigeration, new sink, new Corian counter tops, new nav station, new VHF, new EPIRB, new cabin sole, new head, new cushions, new dodger, new sail cover, new sheets, new halyards, new, new, new, new....

Not that I minded, it made me happy (well, sometimes it really pissed me off, mainly when doing boat yoga or working on the head or skinning knuckles working on whatever). She was a great boat with a great cockpit and a joy to sail. She always took good care of us. And now she is gone. We are both in a bit of a fugue state.

But hey, we are safe and sound and have a roof over our heads and most of our stuff. There are many people out there who aren"t so fortunate. We'll get another boat someday....
Very sad mate, im sorry for your loss.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2017, 05:30   #43

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Oh, that sucks. The next one will be even better.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2017, 06:09   #44

Boat: BLock Island 40 Yawl S/V Honeymoon

Sorry to hear about your boat. Good news you are not stranded some where with no support.
\\
Godspeed in your choices keep us posted.
Old 18-09-2017, 06:20   #45

Boat: 1978 Cabo Rico Tiburon 36 "Isabella"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
Thanks guys.

Delancy
It's a punch in the gut I know. But keep in mind my earlier posts.

This can be a great opportunity to pick up an insurance salvage boat with minor damage for not a lot of money. Find out where the salvage companies are taking the boats, go to the boatyards and ask around. It'll take a few weeks/months before the insurance companies get things sorted but you can turn this into a positive. Good Luck!
jhulmer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat