Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-10-2014, 18:04   #1

Boat: Catalina 30 in PVR
Boat Cover

Need some advise. We're after a cover for our 1979 Catalina 30 as we leave it in Puerto Vallarta in the water for the times we are away from it, usually the summer hotter months. Rain and bird droppings are the issue and yes the sun. I got a quote from fairclough.com and it seems reasonable but when I asked for a sample of the cloth they never responded. I don't mind spending the $2000 for the cover if it's of good quality and last for a number of years. The old cover we had was made from sumbrella material and this seems to last. cost to make one of these is quite a bit more so I was told. I had thought of making my own and buying the materials but if the Faircloth cover is worth it then I'd go that route. Any thoughts from you sailers.
dnimigon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2014, 18:56   #2

Boat: 2000 Searay 380 Sundancer
Re: Boat Cover

Get a detailed specification for the project.

There are lots of good fabrics, Sunbrella included.

This reply has links to specifications for all marine fabrics, detailing the characteristics of each material.

Ensure the cover is made w/ PTFE thread, so the sunlight does not disintegrate the thread.
wingless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2014, 19:04   #3

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42

just did a little figuring, as I owned a marine canvas shop for a number of years.. your cover would be made up of three sections and use about 40 yards of material, not counting zippers and re-inforcement material.. My cost befor mark up would be around 1000 to 1200.... and about 30 to 40 hours of work ..
My rates were on the low side but I would guess somewhere around 3000 to 3500..
A standard bass boat cover of 18 feet would sell for about 700 to 750 depending on features....
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2014, 19:19   #4

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2

Contact Jim Welinski at Shipshape Products inc in Duluth, Minnesota. They specialize in boat covers and have the patterns for hundreds of boats. I have no affiliation but Jim is a good friend of mine. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

Steve.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2014, 19:46   #5

Boat: Cape Dory 31

I have a Fairclough cover. Three years so far, not including this year. Real quality stuff. I'd try them again and ask for a cloth sample. Your request may have just fallen through the cracks. I know someone who has had seventeen seasons use from one of their covers and it is just ready for replacement. My cover had a small hole where it had chafed on an anchor roller. They fixed it for free and added reinforcement in the area. Doesn't get better than that.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote