Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2009, 12:25   #1

Boat: naver 29
boat capabilities

something i've been wondering,but felt a bit stupid asking is what makes one boat more capable of crossing oceans than others which are meant for inshore/coastal sailing.

from what i've read it doesn't seem to have anything to do with size-that just seems to be related to comfort- so is it equipment aboard, crew capabilities,design of boat or something else?
martinworswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 13:37   #2

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Mostly Build quality..ie..how it was built not with what...is it nice and stiff or all flexion and oil canny..are their sufficient tabbing on bulkheads or are they glued in..is the hull to deck joint riveted on or machine screwed and through bolted...on and on..but it can go overboard like anything else..

bottom line as I see it...

You can go to sea and succeed in anything yourself..but what would you in good conscious recommend to others to do the same in.

I may some day go to Hawaii in my Irwin 41 Ketch..I would not recommend you buy one to do It in.

I hope that helps..

Comfort is in the mind of the comforted..some like a jerky motion some like sedate that has little to do with capabilities...

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 14:00   #3

This fellow sailed the boat pictured below from Hungary to the South Pacific, proving that Captain (and Crew) are the MOST important element. After that; comes a solidly constructed vessel, then ample (and redundant) communications a navigation aids, then lastly would be creature comforts suited to taste. So the most important element is to first become the most competent skipper you can be. Everything else will survive the normal. A well constructed vessel will survive the worst, and a well appointed vessel will provide for relaxation.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	L.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	6661  
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail. - (George Carlin)
Aussiesuede is offline   Reply With Quote