Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-12-2007, 05:02   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Amanda Faye 61' Custom Irwin aftcockpit ketch
Boat boys and harbor masters with their hand out.

I have read a little that cruisers deal with may people with their hand out in port. And that if you do not take care of them bad things can happen. Is this true??
Old 21-12-2007, 05:04   #2

Boat: none yet but looking
hey Gunner,

were you ever a Marine?
jack7382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2007, 05:45   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
I have read a little that cruisers deal with may people with their hand out in port. And that if you do not take care of them bad things can happen. Is this true??
Bad things can always happen. In many parts of the world there are lots of hands out. It's easy - you just stick it out there and see what happens.

1. As a general rule plan ahead and don't do things that really are a bad idea.

2. Being nice fills a lot of hands and starts you out with the right idea. Doing just the opposite is your best source of trouble. No one feels sorry for a rich jerk that is insulting. That is true in all parts of the world. Everyone around the world likes nice people no matter who they are.

3. Criminals don't work for a living and people that work are generally honest. It's not 100% here in the US but I think it works better almost everyplace else. Boat boys are independent business people. It's small world economics. Pay for things you need and don't buy things you don't want.

4. Handing out a little money now and then can be good or bad. Handing out money to any one that asks will draw a crowd asking for some too.

5. Knowing who is who matters. Some times how people dress or appear can fool you. Insulting the chief of police's cousin could be a hard time most any place around the world. You really can never tell - See rule 2.

6. Being nice to most people generates favors, local knowledge, and builds a reputation that you don't have and they do. You can have a good one or a bad one and it's all your option. There are far more of them than there are of you. You may have to come back that way another day and it sure is nice having local friends when you touch land. Make as many as you can!
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2007, 05:57   #4

Staying away from boat boys all together is honestly a little dumb; just as dumb as giving them all your money. There are really deals that you won't be able to beat, so in your quest to stay away form the local "ruffians", you might end up missing out on potential good connections.

It's just another culture and another group of people try to get by.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2007, 06:32   #5

Boat: C&C 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
Staying away from boat boys all together is honestly a little dumb; ... you might end up missing out on potential good connections.

It's just another culture and another group of people try to get by.
Good point. There was a good thread a few months back where a cuiser discussed using boat boys and a taxi driver in the DR to get a part for his boat that would have taken weeks to find otherwise. Personally, doing business with the locals is a big part of the fun.

Some countries expect their officials to augment their income with tips.
Pura Vida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2007, 11:26   #6
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pura Vida View Post
Good point. There was a good thread a few months back where a cruiser discussed using boat boys and a taxi driver in the DR to get a part for his boat that would have taken weeks to find otherwise.

Personally, doing business with the locals is a big part of the fun.
I believe PV is referring to the post of Geoff S, post #34 in the thread, http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...boys-8105.html

TaoJones
Old 21-12-2007, 16:49   #7

When I was the captain of an 85' sailboat in Golfe Juan, France (on the west side of Cap d'Antibes) we were required to change berths several times. There were always dock boys to help handle the lines. I never tipped them though it was common practice. After all, the Port Captain told me to move the boat, why should I tip his underlings? But even though they were not going to receive a tip they were always courteous and efficient. The girls at the Captainerie were always very pleasant when I went to them to have something faxed to the States. I never tipped them, either, though I had seen others do it in my presence.

Now, I don't want to give the wrong impression here. The day before we left Port Camille Rayon after a year's residence I sought out each of the dock boys and the girls in the office and I gave them each $250 dollars. I told them how much I appreciated their assistance and wanted them each to have enough of a "TIP" to go and do something fun with it. I told them if I'd given them a few francs at a time they wouldn't even know what happened to it. Gone with a glass of wine at a small little table on a sidewalk somewhere. With this money could go out and buy something they'd been wanting for a while but had been putting off buying because of the cost.
oldsalt_1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2007, 17:03   #8

Boat: C&C 27
Now, that is noble.
Pura Vida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2007, 17:46   #9

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42
I spoke to a guy from OZ awhile back and he said you could always tell an American, no matter where in the world you were, as he was the one running up and down the dock with a hand full of money, wondering who to give it to...
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2007, 01:45   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
I always tip in advance with some "advice" regarding the service level I would like. Then if I like the service I tip again.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2007, 09:22   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Amanda Faye 61' Custom Irwin aftcockpit ketch
So If I understand this, I should be nice. Do some business with only one of them. I should not need much in the way of service at the dock because I can not afford to stay at the dock very much .

Anything else that mite be helpful?