Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-02-2015, 12:09   #106
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Boarding someone elses boat

Thing is I'm not a cruiser yet, I know pretty much everyone on my dock, so yes in those cases I'd go aboard to protect their boat from damage, and not anything silly like termites, I'm talking imminent damage, such as the jib being torn.
I don't live there, but the folks on my dock that do, I've given them all my Business card with my cell # on it. I've had one call me to tell me we had strong winds that had blown my boat close enough to the dock box to where the anchor was trying to chew a hole in it.
He tightened the lines for me, I'd do the same for him, but these are my neighbors, I know them, they aren't strangers.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2015, 12:34   #107

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Well, it seems to me that there are community standards operating here, and that they represent a continuum ranging from, "mi casa es su casa", come aboard and fix the halyard, furler or whatever, to come on board only at my invitation--no exceptions.

Maybe a small town attitude (we're all neighbors, except strangers, and damn few of them) compared to a big city, where you have no reason to trust strangers, and you are lacking in "neighbors".

FWIW, relative to the posted phone number, there are a number of people in Tasmania (a relatively unpopulous State) who do post their cell phone number in their cockpit. The ones who do this are people who sometimes leave the boat at anchor for extended periods (hours) while they go hiking. If their boat comes into trouble, they want you to phone them, and let them know. I'm not saying this is the way life should be, merely remarking that it is a known behavior.

Ann
Old 16-02-2015, 13:19   #108
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badsanta View Post
I had someone secure a loose sail for me and they saved me $thousands and would only except my thanks. If I have a slapping line please secure it. I would be very embarrassed to have kept everyone up all night. If yours slaps and your not on the boat I will secure it for you. You can thank me later.
Old 16-02-2015, 13:32   #109

Very interesting read this thread with it's theme and variations.

The thread articulates how people have different expectations and values, and whereas it's not often easy to know the value and possible action of others wouldn't it be wise to help inform others? For example, if one wished not to have boarders then post a sign. It's simple to do.

The argument of throwing the responsibility to the boarder knowing may be sound, is it too much to ask to place a sign?

I have seen many parcels of land where a "no trespassing sign" had been posted. Folks are not allowed to be walking on other's land yet the sign is there as a courtesy reminder. Is there harm in placing a sign?

Ann indicated the opposite sign whereas folks who leave phone number. In this example the idea is owners of boat receive a call should someone board their boat for a reason.

Now if a boat owner knows that most folks find it acceptable to board a boat then they should take some responsibility in preventing boarders; hence a sign helps.

Another analogy; a child is apt to take cookies out of the cookie jar. The parent expects the child to not do so yet leaves the jar unopened at a location for the child to have access to the jar.

Of course the parent could take measures to better mitigate against a breach of the jar.
Why not have a boat owner do the same; again back to the sign.

Give people a chance to respect one's property.

As for my judgement? I'll way each decision based on conditions presented at the moment.
Greatketch33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2015, 19:17   #110

Boat: Havsfidra 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Okeedokee. If that's what you want. I'm honestly curious though. Why would you take this approach? Is it fear? Loathing of others? Are you such an extreme disciple of Ayn Rand that you think that we truly are all isolated, individual souls? Is there something else my liberal mind can't fathom? As I say, I'm honestly curious.
Yes, there is. You can value individualism while empathically valuing others. I am a big fan of Ayn Rand (I'm naming my boat "Dagny" for crying out loud!) and always willing to help a fellow boater, or anyone else for that matter. There is nothing in Rand's philosophy that promotes isolation or loathing of others. The one thing it loathes is theft. Anyone who respects private property and other people's lives is in agreement with Objectivism.

Sailors, especially cruisers, are pretty individualistic, always challenging themselves and learning more. That does not make them anti-social, on the contrary. Most also value their property and their time, because they have worked hard to enjoy both. For that reason they also respect others' time and property. From the little I have observed, they are also a pretty helpful bunch. Just the type Rand would highly regard and write about.

We are unique individual souls. It does not mean we want to be isolated or shouldn't like each other. Again, there is nothing in Rand's philosophy suggesting anything of the sort. There is nothing wrong about uniqueness and personal achievement. If there was we would all be going to our 9-5 jobs and never even dream of taking on oceans.

Personally I would step ON someone else's boat to reset the anchor for example, protecting their property and other's, but I would not step IN someone else's boat without permission. I would buy dinner to anyone saving my boat from disaster. Actually, I did something pretty stupid last month... Painted my deck and cockpit, and forgot to remove the masking tape from the cockpit drains My neighbor called the dock owner who then called me about rain water filling up the cockpit. I need to bring him something next time I go there...

Gil.
gilgsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2015, 21:49   #111

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
The legal view of it must be pretty clear, I would think. Any legal eagles here have a definition of trespassing?
In the US it seems a boat doesn't have the same protection by law as a land build home or property or even your car (USGC, Homeland security boardings) so who knows..
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2015, 23:02   #112

Boat: Pearson 28.1

Except to board with a fire extinguisher to suppress a flame, I can't think of other instances that would prompt me to board another boat uninvited. I'd simply call the harbormaster, maybe lend a fender or rope to the cause. A worst case scenario, I might check for a manual bilge pump in the cockpit if a boat started to take on water, but I'd still call the harbormaster first. Perhaps more experienced sailors have stories and examples they'd care to share.
Kenichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2015, 00:11   #113

Boat: Seawind 1200 TEC 3

As for phone numbers on boats I seem to remember when I lived there that all boats registered and moored in Western Australia needed to have a contact number displayed on the vessel.
Chris
Mirage Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2015, 01:07   #114
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilgsn View Post
I am a big fan of Ayn Rand (I'm naming my boat "Dagny" for crying out loud!) and always willing to help a fellow boater, or anyone else for that matter.
There. The world is a big place. There are opinions that cover all sides of all issues.

Real respect for others is not to assume that they believe as you do, even if both of you own boats, baseball caps or companies.

Now I count three of us that don't want you walking on our boats, and who would pay you the respect of believing that your boat is tied to the dock / set up / torn down / awash to the gunnels / drifting exactly the way you want it.

If you need our help, you need to ask for it, every time you need it.
Jammer Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2015, 02:45   #115

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer Six View Post
Now I count three of us that don't want you walking on our boats, and who would pay you the respect of believing that your boat is tied to the dock / set up / torn down / awash to the gunnels / drifting exactly the way you want it.

If you need our help, you need to ask for it, every time you need it.
Respect, it's your choice, but the problem lies behind the fact that it's impossible to identify your boat when there's nobody on board. Think it's a bit naive expect others to respect that if you stay stealth ..
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2015, 03:05   #116
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyDiver View Post
Respect, it's your choice, but the problem lies behind the fact that it's impossible to identify your boat when there's nobody on board. Think it's a bit naive expect others to respect that if you stay stealth ..
My best defense is to leave you without a clue that would help you solve that problem.

Respecting my property is your duty. It's better for both of us if it's also your choice.

Taking care of my property (or not taking care of it) is my prerogative, not yours.

Expecting you to do your duty towards my property is within my rights.

Trespassing on my property is not within your rights.

Therefore, it's naive of you to think that it would be okay to board anyone's boat except your own, but it is not naive of me to expect you not to trespass on my boat.
Jammer Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2015, 03:59   #117
CLOD

Boat: none

Just what is going on in some people's boat to make them so paranoid of people seeing it?
Old 17-02-2015, 04:23   #118
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

doesn't matter. It's none of your business, any more than what goes on in my home is your business. You don't have to agree with it, or like it. Other citizens do NOT have the legal or moral right to grant themselves permission to access my boat.

Stay off my property and I will return the respect. If my halyard got loose somehow ( doubtful) and bothers you, tell the marina to send one of their trained, insured, professional hands on board to secure it and charge me the hourly rate for that guy for the five minutes it took him. Private citizens? Keep your hands and feet to yourself.
Old 17-02-2015, 04:43   #119

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

If my sail or Bimini is flogging, please board my boat and secure it. I'm at times days away from the boat. If I leave a light on inside....let me know, but it'll be fine without interference. I'll do the same for you. I don't know anyone whom has intentionally let a furled sail grab the wind and flog itself to ribbons!!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2015, 04:58   #120
cruiser

Boat: OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer Six View Post
No chance. I'm not advertising anything, and there's no valid reason for it. I don't post my phone number on my car, my home or in rest stop restrooms.

If you saw my home burning or my car was hit by bus, the authorities would contact me.

My boat is no different.

If you "saw smoke billowing" from either my home, my car or my boat, call the fire department, or just watch. It takes a certain kind of fool to run into a burning building with a fire hose or a fire extinguisher. My children were taught at a very early age not to do that.

"I can help, I see smoke, and I have a fire extinguisher!"

More of that arrogance I was talking about.
I'm sorry but it is most definitely not arrogance that leads someone to see a situation that may cause loss of life or loss of property and want to help. That's called many things .... a sense of community, compassion, a willingness to help and often risk their own lives to help ... your response to me is astounding.

In taking this view you must be aware of how radically different it is to the majority of cruisers. That's totally cool, your choice and all that. You must know that most people feel the opposite, even if it's taken this thread to point that out to you, in which case if you want your wishes to be observed then you'd best take some responsibility for making your own views known. You, at least now, know full well that people may step on your boat to save it, secure a halyard, or something against your wishes but through a desire to help.

It would be a huge communication failure, and a big disappointment to most, to see a 'situation' escalate because you haven't taken responsibility for communicating your views when they are the polar opposite to most. And, quite frankly, unreasonable.

Put it this way, if someone was securing my halyard and I gave them a mouthful for doing it I'd expect a mouthful of knuckles in return. I'm in no way suggesting that this would be your chosen course of action but I hope you understand my point about expectations and reasonable behaviour.

Amazing.
tp12 is offline   Reply With Quote