Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2015, 15:03   #46

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Boarding someone elses boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by dohenyboy View Post
1. A plans to go out sailing one day and is about to untie his docklines and leave the slip when something comes up and he has to go home. He unclips the mailsail halyard and ties it off to the side, where it always is. Its not that windy so there is no halyard slap at the time.
B is a liveaboard in the marina and that night hear the halyard making noise on A's boat. He unties the halyard, wraps it around a spar then through a spreader, and reattaches it to where it was. Now, the halyard is quiet. But, unless you look very closely, you would think nothing has changed.
The next day A, unawares, attaches his halyard to the head of the mainsail,and leaves the slip. He points into the wind, and raises the halyard. Or tries to. It goes up halfway and gets tangled. A barely avoids crashing into the breakwater.
Seriously? You say this is a true story? How can anyone attach a halyard and not see it is "around a spar then through a spreader." Sorry, but this makes no sense.
Old 04-02-2015, 16:09   #47

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus View Post
I would board any boat to save it or prevent damage... unless it was American.[/LIST]
You still haven't gotten over that 1776 thing?
Old 04-02-2015, 17:03   #48
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:

1. A plans to go out sailing one day and is about to untie his docklines and leave the slip when something comes up and he has to go home. He unclips the mailsail halyard and ties it off to the side, where it always is. Its not that windy so there is no halyard slap at the time.
B is a liveaboard in the marina and that night hear the halyard making noise on A's boat. He unties the halyard, wraps it around a spar then through a spreader, and reattaches it to where it was. Now, the halyard is quiet. But, unless you look very closely, you would think nothing has changed.
The next day A, unawares, attaches his halyard to the head of the mainsail,and leaves the slip. He points into the wind, and raises the halyard. Or tries to. It goes up halfway and gets tangled. A barely avoids crashing into the breakwater.
I feel A is kind of of a dumb s**t for not inspecting his rigging or being able to tell there was issue before he got into trouble. But of course if he really had secured the halyard to start there never would have been a problem.
Old 04-02-2015, 17:07   #49

Boat: Burger 74' motor yacht, 65 foot 12 metre, Flicka and sailing dinghy
Boarding someone elses boat

For not inspecting? Why would he have any reason to think that overnight someone would go on his boat and change things?
Would your answer be the same if he had only been gone for an hour?
Unless there is danger to life or property, if you board someone else's boat and change things, you have a moral and probably a legal duty to let them know.

Sent from an undisclosed location on the high seas or from the lounge chair by the pool, you decide.
Old 04-02-2015, 18:01   #50

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Care to explain? It appears to say you would do nothing to help a fellow boater if it meant stepping onto their boat without prior permission. And conversely, you'd rather have your own boat damaged or destroyed than have someone to step on your boat without prior permission.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer Six View Post
That is exactly what I'm saying.
Okeedokee. If that's what you want. I'm honestly curious though. Why would you take this approach? Is it fear? Loathing of others? Are you such an extreme disciple of Ayn Rand that you think that we truly are all isolated, individual souls? Is there something else my liberal mind can't fathom? As I say, I'm honestly curious.

BTW, I do hope you place a big sign on your boat saying "I don't want your help, no matter what!" Otherwise people might just help you ... despite what you want.

Quote:
For not inspecting? Why would he have any reason to think that overnight someone would go on his boat and change things?
Unless there is danger to life or property, if you board someone else's boat and change things, you have a moral and probably a legal duty to let them know.
dohenyboy, I don't understand how you can attach a halyard that is wrapped around a spar and a spreader and NOT notice this fact. It boggles the imagination. Even if you are the most negligent sailor, surely as soon as you grab the halyard you'd notice it is trailing from the shrouds, and not the mast.
Old 04-02-2015, 18:25   #51

I lived in the bay at Isla Majures for six months one winter. I was well anchored and dove on my anchor almost every day. There were a lot of boats that came and went and usually anchored out in the center of the bay. Quite often someone would come in, check in and go party. I stopped dragging boats so many times that I eventually kept a hundred ft of 1/2 inch line and a good Danforth in my dingy all the time. I had a good solid tag on the end of the line that said SlonEzy on it. that was the name of my boat. They always brought the anchor back and sometimes invited me to dinner. One thing about being a low income person is the most you can be sued for is your boat. They would have a hard time taking my SS check every month. I loved rag bagers. They were some of the finest people Ive met next to fly fishers. Mac
Hard Rock Candy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 18:36   #52

Boat: Jeanneau 44DS
Boarding someone elses boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Okeedokee. If that's what you want. I'm honestly curious though. Why would you take this approach? Is it fear? Loathing of others? Are you such an extreme disciple of Ayn Rand that you think that we truly are all isolated, individual souls? Is there something else my liberal mind can't fathom? As I say, I'm honestly curious.

BTW, I do hope you place a big sign on your boat saying "I don't want your help, no matter what!" Otherwise people might just help you ... despite what you want.

This isn't the first time on this board that you've gotten worked up over someone that doesn't act like you or have your same opinion. In fact you are even going so far as to try to denigrate him now because he isn't like you. Maybe you should be concerned with your own issues rather than than Jammer Six's? After all, his decisions have absolutely zero affect on you or your life.
Garrettw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 19:05   #53
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrettw View Post
This I would have a major problem with. Regarding someone boarding to perform a good samaritan action or to quiet a slapping line, I would have no issues.

And like Jammer Six illustrates, personally I wouldn't presume that I'm welcome on anyone's boat except maybe in cases of imminent major disaster and I felt like I could help.
I never had a "major problem" with the kids that would sit around on the boats at Waterpalooza and watch the concert on the floating dock in the middle of the lake,but I did get a little upset at the fellow that stayed on my boat for a week because he said it was the only one that didn't have a lock on it!..I now can watch my boat 24 hrs. a day on the internet camera at the Landing and call the police if I see anyone messing around..I did call once after seeing them on my boat, the police never showed up,guess it aint a priority as far as they are concerned, no big deal..
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 19:32   #54

Boat: C&C 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus View Post
I would board any boat to save it or prevent damage... unless it was American.

Reasons:
  1. The very real danger of getting shot if the owner did actually happen to be aboard
  2. The very real danger of getting sued if things go wrong

Really !!! And you came to this conclusion how ?? What decision making paradigm did you use to be able to correlate such a conclusion?
tightgroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 19:44   #55

Boat: Able 50

Quote:

Sent from an undisclosed location on the high seas or from the lounge chair by the pool, you decide.
I board 3 or 4 boats every summer and never let anyone know. Life is too short to be chasing dopes who can't be bothered putting their boats to bed properly. Mostly it's fixing slappy halyards. The boats are usually around 25 ft, in poor condition and rarely used. I saved one jib last summer but two others on a nearby dock were destroyed on the same night.

The owner of the jib still hasn't thanked me.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 20:04   #56

People who let their halyards slap NEVER spend a night on their own boat.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 20:19   #57

Boat: Able 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Sad but true
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 20:49   #58
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I'm honestly curious though. Why would you take this approach? Is it fear? Loathing of others? Are you such an extreme disciple of Ayn Rand that you think that we truly are all isolated, individual souls? Is there something else my liberal mind can't fathom? As I say, I'm honestly curious.
This doesn't strike me as honest curiosity, this strikes me as an agenda driven attempt at rationalization.

If it is honest curiosity, rephrase your agenda into one yes or no question, and I'll consider answering it, depending on the respect for others that I see in it.

Have a good day.
Jammer Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 21:00   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Amen to that! Everyone should, now and then. I found that my halyards clanked almost no matter what. I tried all sorts to quiet them. Even running them around the shrouds didn't quiet them completely.

At the rerig last year they were internalized, routed inside the mast. Ahhh, quiet bliss. And no more dicking about with bungee cords for 10 mins after every sail, and at night when the wind comes up.
Old 04-02-2015, 22:21   #60

Boat: Seawind 1200 TEC 3

I do.
However I can understand those who do not .
Yesterday we where getting 30knt gusts in the marina and from an unusual direction.
My neighbours boat on the other side of my finger was banging the corner of its duckboard against the finger .Its a bloody big power boat and bigger bangs.I saw that the line to prevent this needed a tweak and even though I knew I should simply go aboard and fix it I still stood back and considered for a while if it was right or not to jump on board.
I can't stand to see things damaged so I did it.
Now banging halyards that's a different story as someone else noted mainly with boats never stayed on at the Marina.Owners couldn't care less about others or a little on the dull side they should be fixed with a sharp....no hang on Ill stop while I am being nice.
Chris

Chris
Mirage Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote