Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2015, 14:33   #16

Boat: FP, Eleuthera 60
Re: Boarding someone elses boat

Have done it and it has been done to my boat.....all is good, I can't see why anyone would object to helping in the welfare of a boat........oh, don't take offense, but lawyers looking at the problems with insurance and all. What a complicated world. Do the right thing for the boat.
MIRELOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 14:49   #17

Would have made sense to have videoed the flogging sail, and videoed your going aboard and securing the sail?
SailOar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 15:07   #18

The way I see it, it's quid pro quo. I've nipped aboard and secured the halyard to a shroud with a bungee cord, and got a good night's sleep. They, in return, have got a nice bungee cord for free. Can't say fairer than that. Now, if I nipped aboard the next morning to retrieve my bungee cord, that would be a poor show.
Old 03-02-2015, 15:09   #19

Boat: 38 roberts ketch

one of my neighbour's boat was in a rather different position indicating the mooring was on the move so i boarded his boat and threw out the anchor before contacting him - turns out the mooring had been lifted for inspection and they dropped it way out of place - but - no harm done. Other boats where i've never seen anyone aboard can fend for themselves as far as I'm concerned. I'd consider boarding a well cared for, well set up vessel if there was an obvious and simple problem and solution. Not too many of those on moorings around my way though.
charliehows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 15:18   #20

Boat: CS36T

I wouldn't hesitate to look after the problem if I could, what goes around comes around
Old 03-02-2015, 15:19   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

By all means, fix the problem. Lets not all worry about lawyers & what-ifs. This is also a good case for knowing your neighbors. We all look out for each other's boats. My dock mates have saved our bacon a few times & I theirs. We all help one-another dock & depart; share beers & dinners. Most of the stink boaters even turn out to be nice folks/

I always leave a few extra dock lines available at the mast in case someone needs one ASAP.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 15:29   #22
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

2 days ago an unattended boat dragged and was about 50 meters from disaster.
About 4 dinghys responded and we started the engines (cat) found the windlass remote... And then I asked each of the 4 people if they agreed it was the right thing to do to move it and reanchor it.
They all approved so we did.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 17:09   #23
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

At my old marine people would board each others boats because it may have had a better view of the sunset or more room to sit around and shoot the stuff..Then theres the place on the other side of the lake at the "Yacht club" where they would call the law if they caught you saving their sails from being shreaded in a gale force wind(must have a plan about how to get new ones and you interfered by securing them!Same people who blame a father for stealing a loaf of bread and saying that is why our insurance rates are going up!) A hum..
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 18:19   #24

Boat: Island Packet 40

On the slapping halyard problem.

I was in a marina once where one of the boat owners would not see reason on his rattling halyards. He came down to his boat one day and someone had removed the halyards from the mast and very neatly coiled them up on the deck in the middle of a dark night. His halyards were not a problem after that.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 19:57   #25

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Its a simple rule really... "Do the right thing." You know what the right thing is... don't second guess yourself.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 02:45   #26

Boat: Traditional 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkerfluid View Post
I was down working on our boat yesterday at the marina and the wind unexpectedly kicked up. I don't think they were really calling for any wind but I flipped the instruments on and saw a steady 22-23 knts with gusts to about 33.

A boat in a slip a few down from ours had their headsail unfurl slightly so that the wind was getting between the rolls of the sail and causing it to flog badly. I went up to the marina office to let them know so they could call the owner and was told they'd already called an hour ago and left a message. Not wanting to see their headsail get shredded I asked the office if I should jump on the boat and fix it. Their reply was that they'd left a message and it was up to the owner to fix it now. I was a little disappointed in their lack of caring if someone's boat is damaged, though I guess not really surprised.

Anyway, I walked down to the boat hoping maybe I could reach the headsail from the dock and could re-wrap it without actually getting on the boat (I couldn't). Ends up the owners had emergency contact numbers in one of the ports so I was able to get ahold of them, which was a good thing because they weren't even in the same state at the moment. I let them know what was going on and asked permission to board the boat and fix the sail, which of course they happily allowed me to do.

I was glad that I was able to get ahold of them, but I think I would have boarded the boat anyway to fix the sail. Does this seem like a reasonable thing to do to everyone else? I wouldn't go inside the boat (unless maybe if it were sinking), but walking on deck to fix a flogging sail seemed ok to me. I'd be much more upset if I found out that people stood by and watched my boat destroy itself than if someone jumped on board to perform such an easy fix.

Thoughts?
I would "prefer" to have you in my marina. Feel free to step onto mine for something like that anytime.
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 05:17   #27
cruiser

Stay off my boat, I'll stay off yours.
Jammer Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 05:41   #28
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer Six View Post
no problem, it can sort out those approaching rocks itself then
Old 04-02-2015, 06:32   #29

Boat: Island Packet 420

Quote:
Is this meant as you don't want anyone to come on your boat for any reason? Or is it meant as "If you're not willing to help me, then I'm not willing to help you"?
blinkerfluid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 06:39   #30

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Care to explain? It appears to say you would do nothing to help a fellow boater if it meant stepping onto their boat without prior permission. And conversely, you'd rather have your own boat damaged or destroyed than have someone to step on your boat without prior permission.

I hope this is not what you're saying