Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2015, 06:54   #31
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail
Re: Boarding someone elses boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkerfluid View Post
Does this seem like a reasonable thing to do to everyone else? Thoughts?
i think it is the right thing to do.
Old 04-02-2015, 07:01   #32

I think boarding a boat to "save" it is a perfectly noble and correct thing to do. Of course it might also be endangering other anchored boats and so there is a good Samaritan purpose and even a selfish one at times. I would be happy if someone "saved" my boat if I wasn't there to do it myself. This is a wonderful thing about sailors and good neighbors. They look out for each others' interests.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 07:01   #33
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer Six View Post
Stay off my boat, I'll stay off yours.
Got a plan and do not want anyone interfering?
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 09:54   #34

Boat: 1973 Easterly 36

I've been one of the knuckle heads with the slapping halyard before. I used to be on a mooring with a little 22ft boat. Prior I'd had catamarans that I trailered so slapping halyards were a new problem to me. When we moved up to our 29ft boat and bought a slip I was perplexed for all of 30 seconds at the then line tying my halyards to the shrouds. After that first time I'm not going to say I've been 100% perfect on securing my halyards every time, but its always been accidental... and I always feel really bad when I get back and see a new piece of string. Two of my neighbors live aboard all summer and I enjoy both of their company, I hate that on occasion I'm THAT guy. I do apologize and bring over a beer.

Now because of all this when a neighbors boat's stanchion got caught under the dock because of low lake water levels we didnt hesitate to get out the saws all and remove a board step of 2x6 that has the stanchion trapped on the other side. It was that or continue to let the wind pound it on the dock and put a hole in the deck.

On a side not that same boat owned by a family with young kids, had a family friend of theirs drown while they were swimming. When it was put back in the slip it was left in shambles understandably. Mud on deck sails unsecured hatches open only 2 dock lines tied ect. Again some neighbors and I went over and scrubbed the decks secured the boat and sails. The hatchway was open electronics left on and all. We set everything as right as we could plugged in shore power and closed it up. We haven't seen the owners since the tragedy and I doubt the boat will be launched this year, or again by them. I know if it happened to me it would seriously temper my desire for sailing, and I can't imagine how it has affected the kids.

Sorry for the sad story, I know it sure put safety in the fore front of everyone's mind at the marina.
Old 04-02-2015, 10:00   #35

We have to look after one another. Good for you.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 10:34   #36

Boat: Alberg 35

I live in Albany, NY, my boat is in Baltimore. If someone boarded my boat to fix a problem, I'd be grateful indeed. Certainly an occasion calling for a beer later. You did the right thing. All the legal stuff notwithstanding, kindness is still a good rule.
s/v Pendragon Alberg 35 #175
Pendragon35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 11:23   #37

Boat: Catalina 387

I'd definitely board to fix a unfurling sail. I wouldn't to stop a halyard clang. well........ because I'd need to board most of them in my marina and that takes too much energy. In the marina contract it actually states that sailboats are required to rig halyards to not clang, but nobody seems to do that.

I've saved a motor from a sinking/deflating dinghy - took it off the dink and put it on their boat. Would it have been better to let a dink motor go to the bottom?

My C0 sensor was going off once (making a heck of a racket in the marina), my boat neighbor got on, went below, and pulled the batteries. Called me to tell me he did it. It's why I told my neighbors the combination to the companionway (and we have each others's phone #'s).
jeepbluetj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 12:31   #38

Boat: Jeanneau 44DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
At my old marine people would board each others boats because it may have had a better view of the sunset or more room to sit around and shoot the stuff
This I would have a major problem with. Regarding someone boarding to perform a good samaritan action or to quiet a slapping line, I would have no issues.

And like Jammer Six illustrates, personally I wouldn't presume that I'm welcome on anyone's boat except maybe in cases of imminent major disaster and I felt like I could help.
Garrettw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 13:05   #39

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

I'm really liking hearing you guys' concerns for the other boats. It is definitely how I'd like the world to be.

But for those who would not want to be the recipient of such kind attention, let them learn the lesson. The furler line should be secured when they leave the boat, and rolled with at least two wraps, to help them stay secure. Let the one who does not want to receive the help learn by the sail's destruction, if necessary. Unpleasant experiences can be very educational.

Ann
Old 04-02-2015, 13:50   #40

Boat: a sailing boat

I am 99% against boarding somebody else's boat.

All other options absent, I would board and furl the thing too.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 14:16   #41

Given the full situation, I would probably board the boat also...

but it would be after exhausting other alternatives.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 14:33   #42

Boat: Lagoon 420 - Hull 52

Quote:
I would board any boat to save it or prevent damage... unless it was American.

Reasons:
  1. The very real danger of getting shot if the owner did actually happen to be aboard
  2. The very real danger of getting sued if things go wrong
Octopus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 14:39   #43

Boat: Burger 74' motor yacht, 65 foot 12 metre, Flicka and sailing dinghy

Let me post something contrarian. Both are true stories.

1. A plans to go out sailing one day and is about to untie his docklines and leave the slip when something comes up and he has to go home. He unclips the mailsail halyard and ties it off to the side, where it always is. Its not that windy so there is no halyard slap at the time.
B is a liveaboard in the marina and that night hear the halyard making noise on A's boat. He unties the halyard, wraps it around a spar then through a spreader, and reattaches it to where it was. Now, the halyard is quiet. But, unless you look very closely, you would think nothing has changed.
The next day A, unawares, attaches his halyard to the head of the mainsail,and leaves the slip. He points into the wind, and raises the halyard. Or tries to. It goes up halfway and gets tangled. A barely avoids crashing into the breakwater.

A had no reason to think someone would board his boat and move his halyard.

If you don't like the way someone has arranged their lines, and you take upon yourself to change it, have the courtesy to leave a note.

2. C is a relatively newer sailor. He cleats his docklines on his sailboat. But not exactly; he ties the dockline to the cleats with two half hitches. His neighbor D on the marina boards his boat to cleat the boat "properly. " C has no clue as to what has gone on and wonders what else has been changed. Why was this done? what mischief is up?
Old 04-02-2015, 14:46   #44

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
OK, you stay out of my anchorage, and I'll stay out of yours. Don't think I want you as a neighbor.

Jim
Old 04-02-2015, 14:59   #45
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Care to explain? It appears to say you would do nothing to help a fellow boater if it meant stepping onto their boat without prior permission. And conversely, you'd rather have your own boat damaged or destroyed than have someone to step on your boat without prior permission.

I hope this is not what you're saying
That is exactly what I'm saying.
Jammer Six is offline   Reply With Quote