Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-02-2015, 04:17   #196
cruiser

Re: Boarding someone elses boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Would you or not board a boat to save someone's boat?
I've answered that question. Pay attention.
Jammer Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2015, 04:43   #197
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer Six View Post
I've answered that question. Pay attention.
You didn't answer the question. But lets just say I'm too stupid to know so what was it Yes or No?
Old 18-02-2015, 09:32   #198
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 37' Oyster Heritage

Would you piss on Jammer's shoes if his pants were on fire? Probably not, as he would assume it was a trespass.

What a knob...
Old 18-02-2015, 11:28   #199
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by sestina View Post
Would you piss on Jammer's shoes if his pants were on fire? Probably not, as he would assume it was a trespass.

What a knob...
That's not fair. I would do it and would even be willing to walk across the street in order to do the good deed.
Old 18-02-2015, 11:52   #200

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Stepping back a bit, I think this is a critical point that folks like Jammer seem unable to comprehend. No right is absolute. All rights, from free speech, to the right not to be killed, are tempered by other rights. And all rights come with equal levels of responsibilities and duties.

In the case of clanging halyards, your right to have them flapping around butts up against other people's rights not to be abused by excessive and unnecessary noise. You have a right to leave them flopping, but you have a responsibility to respect other people's rights regarding excessive noise. And you have a duty to act reasonably depending on the situation.

In the case of not wanting any assistance no matter what, this is so far outside the norm of community behaviour that some special action is required to tell people (i.e. a sign). But even here, this would not be absolute. If Jammer's boat is drifting towards others, then his private property right goes out the window. Probably also the case if it's going ashore. The impact of a destroyed boat is felt by the community which has to deal with the cleanup. I would respect his right to have his headsail flog to death IF there is a sign telling me to stay off -- unless there was a serious risk to others around from flying debris. My right not to be hit by flying crap supersedes your right to not have me step onto your boat.

There is no such thing as an absolute right to anything.
Basically this. I noticed Jammer didn't respond to it - probably because there isn't much to say against it.

I have no idea why you are so resistant to leaving a note. But this whole thread has meant that I don't think I'll be adjusting peoples fenders in a big storm anymore - the same people who would object to you saving their gelcoat/hull from damage are the same people who wouldn't leave a note and then would sue, prosecute or attack you, so it's just not worth the risk.
Old 18-02-2015, 12:15   #201
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by alctel View Post

I have no idea why you are so resistant to leaving a note.
The problem with the note is that there are people so crazy about this "don't step on my boat" thing that it just opens up a can of worry worms.
Old 18-02-2015, 12:16   #202

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Jammer, you have made your desires quite well known now, and while I don't agree with them, I will accept them as being what you truly want.

Now, would you be willing to explain to those of us who hold different opinions WHY it is so important to you that no one step foot upon your boat? It is difficult for me to understand your extreme reluctance to allow this simple and generally harmless act. I am not arguing that you don't have the right to prevent this sort of trespass, I am wondering what causes you to exercise the right so vigorously.

Jim
Old 18-02-2015, 12:19   #203

Boat: Leopard 40 Catamaran

If Jammers boat had sprung a leak, his bilge pumps weren't working, and his boat was slowly sinking... would a 'No Trespassing' sign really stop you from saving the boat?

If Canibuls boat caught fire - empty berths either side, and you were standing next to the high pressure hose... would the rapidly heating 'No Trespassing' sign really stop you from putting it out?

If an ambulance driver arrives at a scene and a person has DNR scribbled in felt marker accross thier chest, do they walk away?
Is it different if DNR is tatooed?

I dunno, where I come from, when some is drowning, you swim up to 'em, punch 'em in the face, then get them to safety. If they are screaming 'leave me alone, i want to die', it makes no difference... except they now get to go to a special place in the hospital.

Sensibilities reign over signs.

(But Jammer should still put up big signs to ward off do-gooders who may do-good in less serious situations)
Old 18-02-2015, 12:39   #204
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by alctel View Post
Basically this. I noticed Jammer didn't respond to it - probably because there isn't much to say against it.
I see. You haven't read the thread.
Old 18-02-2015, 12:42   #205
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Now, would you be willing to explain to those of us who hold different opinions WHY it is so important to you that no one step foot upon your boat?
No.

People aren't reading what I write now, or, as a couple posts have noted, insist that they would walk right past any sign I posted to "save" my property for me.

In the face of such "there is only my way" sentiment, there is nothing to be gained by explaining my reasons.
Old 18-02-2015, 12:46   #206
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
You didn't answer the question. But lets just say I'm too stupid to know so what was it Yes or No?
Someone tell him.
Old 18-02-2015, 12:51   #207
CLOD

Quote:
Someone tell him.
Gee Jammer why can't you just answer the question with no extra words? It is either Yes or No? Come on you can do it all I've asked of you is a straight no extra words answer.

Yes or No, come on now I'm rooting for you.
Old 18-02-2015, 13:01   #208

Quote:
I see. You haven't read the thread.
I absolutely did, and you didn't post any answer to the 'as well as rights, you have responsibilities' he posted, except waffling on about some 'unalterably american right' which wasn't relevant, either to the real world or the discussion at hand
Old 18-02-2015, 13:12   #209
cruiser

Ah, I see.

You statement that I didn't respond was inaccurate, so you changed it to I didn't respond to a specific portion of his post.

I saw no reason to respond to the portion that got you ramped up.
Old 18-02-2015, 13:22   #210

Quote:
Ah, I see.

You statement that I didn't respond was inaccurate, so you changed it to I didn't respond to a specific portion of his post.

I saw no reason to respond to the portion that got you ramped up.
This... doesn't actually make any sense?