Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: Ever boarded with bad intentions?
Have you ever been physically boarded by possible thieves, while you were onboard?? 20 74.07%
If so, was there a physical altercation? 8 29.63%
If so, did the possible thieves display weapons? 5 18.52%
Not boarded - but had a dinghy stolen from the water? 9 33.33%
If you were boarded, did it occur in U.S. territorial waters? 3 11.11%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-07-2019, 13:08   #1

Boat: Catalina & Maycraft
Boarded with bad intentions?

The recent thread regarding the Windward islands alludes to some members having been boarded at night, etc. I know the specifics of some of these incidents are noted on some of the securitynet websites - but it would be interesting to hear how common that really is, just among the sailors that post here.

To me, having a dinghy painter cut would be a lot less threatening than having people actually walking around on deck at night, while the boat is obviously occupied.

Have many run into this, and is there anything you would have done differently, either before or after?

Obviously, the whole firearm-lethal weapon debate is never going to be agreed on by everyone, so that's kind of a dead-end for a forum. Outside of the U.S., it also seems legally impractical, just as an aside.

Are there any interesting incidents, advice or tips that can be passed on though?
Old 14-07-2019, 13:26   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: Boarded with bad intentions?

flare guns or flares in general. It would be terrible top accidentally spill boiling oil from cooking all over them. not to mention all the soap knives in the galley.
Old 14-07-2019, 13:31   #3
CLOD

Boat: none

flares and burning oil for defense

That's just crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In my nicest be friendly opinion of course
Old 14-07-2019, 13:40   #4

Even aside from any defense issues - if you were boarded, was there anything that you learned from the whole experience, i.e. what the heck do you plan to do differently, if anything, in the future?
Old 14-07-2019, 13:41   #5

Boat: Sailboat

large fire extinguisher with a hose&nozzle to point at the target
Old 14-07-2019, 14:00   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Boarded with bad intentions?

I like the boiling oil, so do you keep a pot on to boil, or do you ask the perp to wait awhile, maybe 10 minutes or so until it’s just about to burst into flame

Way I see it go down is like someone told me, he thought he heard a noise so he got up and went into the salon, where he was face to face with apparently a naked and oiled down thief.
He said he tried, but there is no way to hold onto a guy oiled up that wants out.
Old 14-07-2019, 14:18   #7
CLOD

If you are going to have a weapon try to think of something practical.

Like a short spear
Old 14-07-2019, 14:31   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
If you are going to have a weapon try to think of something practical.

Like a short spear

It is comes to that - you could beckon them with a fish gaff. Probably not going to time out that way in real life though. I think the incidents come by surprise probably.
Old 14-07-2019, 14:45   #9
CLOD

The only time (thank God) I've been boarded was someone trying to steal my dinghy off the boat (it was on the davits) at 4am. Yelling at the guy worked to chase him away.

But back to the short spear. Think it though for someone coming down the hatchway or through the narrow door into a berth. If there is someone with a short spear your are going to really get it unless you have a gun and it is ready to get a clear shot off. You don't want knife as that's getting too close to the intruder. Sprays, flares etc are just pissing them off and what do you plan to use then? The goal really is to get the person to LEAVE not kill them etc as now you are the foreigner who just killed the local.
Old 14-07-2019, 14:49   #10

Boat: 2004 Steber 2200 Persuader

Security on board is no different from security at home.
The boarding is done by surprise at night therefore the first defence is an alarm system that deploys when they board. Lights going off outside and even a sound alarm.
Second, bar the entrance with a cross bar you take off in the morning.

The weapons of choice can only be the one you are familiar and trained to use in a stressful situation. If you think it is easy to stab someone with a sword or hit with a machete when you have never done it, think again. And flares have one shot, erratic direction and only to be used outside.
There is no substitute to a shotgun. have it loaded with non lethal shots like rock salt or rubber, and hope you never need to use it. And if everything fails and they get into your cabin at night, your pussifooting around gun ownership may cost you your life and the life of your family. A hidden handgun even if only a 22, 45 is my choice, is the only thing to have by your bedside if you are in the wilderness out there.
Old 14-07-2019, 15:06   #11

Boat: Catalina 470

You want to avoid physical conflict. The last incident unfortunately ended in a punch up, I never want this to happen again. Fortunately I was not hurt BUT theres no guarantee that next time this would be the case.

As mentioned I now have a nice stainless steel bars in my companionway and hatches, lots of ventilation and no ones getting in.

Remember mostly people don't come onboard to attack us ,they come onboard to steal stuff and a physical altercation takes place when the intruder is discovered. I surprised the last guy and that's why it ended the way it did, if I'd given him time to go once he was discovered maybe there would of been no violence.

The first two times I had a border they came into the boat while we slept and stole phones and money, we did not hear a thing.

The bars in the companion way now stop this happening, also the bars take a little time to come out and make a noise while doing so, this combined with deck lights going on should give an intruder a fright, hopefully they leave. The bars don't only keep people out they also slow me down while getting out.

Also cockpit lights on all night.

As I said in another thread make sure you aren't the "low lying fruit", I make sure that's not me. Make yourself a hard target.

Also now have a cool tazer.

Boardings are not common, 3 may seem alot, and is, but most I know that have sailed the world haven't had any issues.
Old 14-07-2019, 15:13   #12

Boat: Catalina 470

If you are going to bring out a weapon remember that it could be used against you!

Approx 10-12 years ago in langkawi/ Butang island area a cruiser disturbed 2 boarders, he went out with a hammer, they got the hammer of him and killed him.

Thinking you can and will use a weapon is different from actually using a weapon.
Old 14-07-2019, 15:26   #13

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc1 View Post
There is no substitute to a shotgun. have it loaded with non lethal shots like rock salt or rubber, and hope you never need to use it. And if everything fails and they get into your cabin at night, your pussifooting around gun ownership may cost you your life and the life of your family. A hidden handgun even if only a 22, 45 is my choice, is the only thing to have by your bedside if you are in the wilderness out there.
How'd that work for Sir Peter Blake?
And all this gun talk when you are supposedly Australian?
Old 14-07-2019, 15:27   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
You want to avoid physical conflict. The last incident unfortunately ended in a punch up, I never want this to happen again. Fortunately I was not hurt BUT theres no guarantee that next time this would be the case.

As mentioned I now have a nice stainless steel bars in my companionway and hatches, lots of ventilation and no ones getting in.

Remember mostly people don't come onboard to attack us ,they come onboard to steal stuff and a physical altercation takes place when the intruder is discovered. I surprised the last guy and that's why it ended the way it did, if I'd given him time to go once he was discovered maybe there would of been no violence.

The first two times I had a border they came into the boat while we slept and stole phones and money, we did not hear a thing.

The bars in the companion way now stop this happening, also the bars take a little time to come out and make a noise while doing so, this combined with deck lights going on should give an intruder a fright, hopefully they leave. The bars don't only keep people out they also slow me down while getting out.

Also cockpit lights on all night.

As I said in another thread make sure you aren't the "low lying fruit", I make sure that's not me. Make yourself a hard target.

Also now have a cool tazer.

Boardings are not common, 3 may seem alot, and is, but most I know that have sailed the world haven't had any issues.
Wow, did all 3 happen in the Seychelles?
Old 14-07-2019, 15:28   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
The only time (thank God) I've been boarded was someone trying to steal my dinghy off the boat (it was on the davits) at 4am. Yelling at the guy worked to chase him away.

But back to the short spear. Think it though for someone coming down the hatchway or through the narrow door into a berth. If there is someone with a short spear your are going to really get it unless you have a gun and it is ready to get a clear shot off. You don't want knife as that's getting too close to the intruder. Sprays, flares etc are just pissing them off and what do you plan to use then? The goal really is to get the person to LEAVE not kill them etc as now you are the foreigner who just killed the local.

All good points have been made. Also, like stated above - if it really gets to be a serious, defensive situation, as long as you are in the cabin, and the intruder is out - the typical companionway or hatch is a pretty narrow point to repel someone from. Of course - if they have guns, you're probably under their command.

If I was in a situation where I though I was at risk, I'd really look hard at what kind of security systems are available to detect someone on board, and set off an alarm/light. With so much motion around a moored boat, it would seem difficult to set an alarm though. You would think the typical, non-brazen, thief would decide to leave if an alarm was going off. If there was no chance of anyone else hearing/seeing the alarm though, it might not be a deterrent at all..
Closed Thread