Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: Ever boarded with bad intentions?
Have you ever been physically boarded by possible thieves, while you were onboard?? 20 74.07%
If so, was there a physical altercation? 8 29.63%
If so, did the possible thieves display weapons? 5 18.52%
Not boarded - but had a dinghy stolen from the water? 9 33.33%
If you were boarded, did it occur in U.S. territorial waters? 3 11.11%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2019, 20:01   #271

Boat: Catalina 470
Re: Boarded with bad intentions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen411 View Post
I appreciate and respect what you have to say. However, I never mentioned me carrying a GUN. That is a taboo subject for me. I've not mentioned nor will I ever mention what weapons I carry.

Obviously I do not believe in being completely HELPLESS in any cruising area where serious crimes have been committed. Fact seems to be that many if not most cruisers have taken at least SOME precautions to protect themselves....such as yourself, right? One doesn't necessarily have to be armed to be secure. For instance, you've reinforced your entrances to deter intruders. I think that's great...wise and responsible.

I'm curious...not to be combative or argumentative, but are you single handing?

Personally I would be A LOT less concerned about security if it were just me.
Hi Saleen, no I'm not single handling, my girlfriend has been onboard for quite sometime. All 3 times I've been boarded I've had a lady onboard. I do take security seriously, but truly the best thing to do is not provide opportunity, ie leaving stuff on deck, pull the dinghy up etc and lock the door at night.

Most dont lock up at night at all. Theft is the biggest concern, its opportunistic. A dinghy was stolen from the dinghy dock here at Bequia last night. Lock the dinghy, make sure your neighbor is an easier target, leave cockpit lights on.

I had dinner tonight with a couple that had their outboard stolen, well attempted theft as the thieves ended up dropping it in the water. It was locked up, they cut the locks.

This was the first incident they've had in 9 years.

My point is , it's easy to focus on the occasional bad stuff, the reality is it's very rare, there's so many of us doing this, just anchor in the popular Anchorages and you'll be fine. Chater boats come and go from st Vincent every single day.
Old 01-08-2019, 20:04   #272

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
Ok, without wanting to seem mucho, I've stated before on this forum I've been boarded 3 times, the last ended up in a punch up.

Here's my concern with the gun thing, all 3 times the people involved were on my boat to steal ,not inflict violence, the last time I was the one that initiated the violence, it was unnecessary, a simple yell" get off my boat" would of sufficed.

Here's the thing in hindsight I didn't need to punch that person, I reacted violently to someone boarding my boat, particularly as it had happened already 4 nights again. He would have run if I gave him a chance. These people were there to steal, nothing more, what if I had a gun, what if I marched out with my gun? what if out of rage and fear I shot this young guy? there lays the problem with a gun onboard, a mistake can be made and that mistake has serious permanent consequences.

The reality is very few people are boarded by people with intentions of doing you physical harm, its VERY RARE. All you Rambo types really have little experience regarding cruising and boardings, your fear is driving your imaginations and testosterone. YOU DO NOT NEED A GUN, PERIOD.

I understand you fearing for your families safety BUT use common sense and I assure you that you will be fine, sure there's examples of bad stuff happening BUT bad stuff happens at home ie car accidents etc.

In regards to the OP, st Vincent has a charter base as you know, anchor where they suggest, people do this all the time, do not let your imagination run away with you, you will be fine ,I'm absolutely sure of this.

Bad **** can happen, fate plays a role ,it is very unlikely you will encounter such a experience as the one you fear.

I know of people that have had violent experiences while cruising, I actually knew a guy that had his head cut off , BUT BUT BUT ,as said before it's incredibly rare, INCREDIBLY RARE.

Enjoy your cruise and stop worrying, anchor in the populated spots and pull the dinghy up........enjoy.

I’ll bet the guy who had his head cut off would have liked to have had a gun.
Old 01-08-2019, 20:05   #273

Just one more thing. Most cruisers take no precautions other than pull the dinghy up, most I know never lock up, certainly dont have bars like I do or any sort of alarm system. The only cruisers i know that have guns are Americans and even then it's not many of them.

Btw ,I wasn't suggesting you want a gun, it was sort of a reply regarding other posts.
Old 01-08-2019, 20:13   #274

Quote:
Originally Posted by Training Wheels View Post
I’ll bet the guy who had his head cut off would have liked to have had a gun.
Actually no. More guns introduced to the scene would of resulted in alot more deaths most likely, 10 guys turn up ,all armed and you introduce one more gun?I think that it may of ended even more badly, maybe not but a shooting contest probably wouldn't be the best thing, but who knows.Bad stuff happens rarely but sometimes, this was one of those really bad times, wrong spot at the wrong time for John, very sad.

I'm talking about the Samal island kidnapping, I wasn't there,I left two weeks earlier.
Old 01-08-2019, 20:14   #275

Quote:

Btw ,I wasn't suggesting you want a gun, it was sort of a reply regarding other posts.
No worries sir. Beers are on me should we ever meet.
Old 01-08-2019, 20:17   #276

Quote:
Actually no. More guns introduced to the scene would of resulted in alot more deaths most likely, 10 guys turn up ,all armed and you introduce one more gun?I think that it may of ended even more badly, maybe not but a shooting contest probably wouldn't be the best thing, but who knows.Bad stuff happens rarely but sometimes, this was one of those really bad times, wrong spot at the wrong time for John, very sad.

I'm talking about the Samal island kidnapping, I wasn't there,I left two weeks earlier.

More badly then having your head cut off? No offense, but I’d rather go down shooting.
Old 01-08-2019, 20:26   #277

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

For most of the popular cruising destinations discussed here you will not be permitted to enter with and/or carry your firearms while cruising.

Logically you would think that then means there not much point discussing it further, but after every few pages unfortunately we are soon back to this topic (and/or flame throwers...).
Old 01-08-2019, 20:28   #278

Quote:
Originally Posted by Training Wheels View Post
More badly then having your head cut off? No offense, but I’d rather go down shooting.
I'm talking about other lives,he wasn't the only one there, and knowing the guy I'm fairly certain he wouldn't want a gun. His unbelievable and terrible death didn't occur when he was taken ,it happened many weeks later. It's easy for you and others to "know what you would of done " but like me you weren't there, these things dont happen like you think they do. Personally in hindsight if I was there (which I was not) a gun is not what I would of wanted,I would of jumped in the water......real easy for me to come to that conclusion while having the luxury of contemplating about a event after the fact that I wasn't even involved in.

That's the thing with imagination, it's not real.
Old 01-08-2019, 20:29   #279

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen411 View Post
No worries sir. Beers are on me should we ever meet.
I'll most likely be here next year, let me know if your around. No offense is intended, I just get amused by the "I would do this " response by some, it's just not that simple.

Cheers Dale.
Old 02-08-2019, 00:19   #280

Boat: SY Wake: 53' Amel Super Maramu

Quote:
The only cruisers i know that have guns are Americans
Another layer of microprotection then: keep a nice clean US flag hoisted on your port spreader, whether you have a gun onboard or not, american or not. Most people I've met overseas do indeed think all americans are gun-happy, can't hurt to make potential boarders think twice about that too....
Old 02-08-2019, 00:30   #281

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
Another layer of microprotection then: keep a nice clean US flag hoisted on your port spreader, whether you have a gun onboard or not, american or not. Most people I've met overseas do indeed think all americans are gun-happy, can't hurt to make potential boarders think twice about that too....
Love it.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Old 02-08-2019, 00:32   #282

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

Yes although that could be counterproductive too since Americans can be specifically targeted at various times for various reasons.
Closed Thread