Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-01-2014, 04:47   #1

Bluewater SLBCC ?

I have a question that is rhetorical at first blush, but if given consideration I hope has practical relevance. Can a small, "lightly built" coastal cruiser be modified into a "bluewater boat?" Everyone chimes the mantra, go small, go now, so what if you had a small lightly built coastal cruiser (SLBCC)and were doing that and you decided you wanted to venture offshore and make a long passage. If, over a period of time, could you retrofit the SLBCC to be a bluewater boat. Knowing that the displacement can not change much, if you upgraded the rigging, rudder, pintles and gudgeons, deck hardware, sails, halyards and sheets, would you end up with a bluewater boat minus the extra displacement? Or is the hull and deck of the SLBCC just not capable of this task? Asked another way, is/can a small light displacement cruising sailboat be made "heavily built" without weighing 4,000 or more pounds? Was John Guzzwell's beautiful "Trekka" "heavily built" though of light displacement? I understand that if this is possible, it wouldn't ever be the "ideal" bluewater boat, but if possible, it would be affordable to someone who didn't have a large sum to spend initially, but could spend more modest sums over time as the need and desires arose. John Guzzwell said that if he would ever sail around the world again, he would only do it in another boat that he had built, so he would know her in the most intimate way possible. If possible, retrofitting a SLBCC over time while sailing would seem to approach in practice, the intent of John's wise advice. Thank you for your input!
justwannadoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2014, 04:55   #2
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410
Re: Bluewater SLBCC ?

maybe, yes, no, kind of

question has been asked and discussed already and a site search will provide whatever answer you desire
Old 26-01-2014, 05:08   #3

Depending how small you want to go. My view of the world is the smaller I was going to go the more displacement I would want because you need to carry "stuff" with you. In practical terms seems anything can sail offshore if you have the skill level or you stick to middle latitudes.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2014, 19:45   #4

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

To some extent maybe. I think alot relies on the design of the hull as well as the rigging. In any case, I really hope the term SLBCC doesn't catch on.
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2014, 05:32   #5
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

what is the make and model of this here SLBCC

dave

Tags
water