Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-09-2013, 16:21   #91

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: Bluewater Cruisers for under $15,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
Here you are, only $5000, so you've got 10K to play with. a buddy of mine singlehanded a sister ship across the Atlantic three times.
Hughes 35 Sailboat 1976.

I think Fatty Goodlander had a Hughes that he salvaged for $3,000 and sailed thousands of miles on maybe a couple circumnaves. Either way, he can tell you how to do it on the cheap:

Fatty Goodlander, S/V Wild Card - Home
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2013, 16:34   #92

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42

Just a plus side to the "looking for a Boat" as they are out there..
close friend just bought a Cal 34 on a lien Sale.. did some swapping to get the motor running, I made him new sail covers and interior for around 12 hundred and he's pulling out next month.. total investment is less than 7 thousand... and you wont find to many people to bad mouth a Cal 34..
Not alot of extras, but sutable for any ocean voyage..........
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2013, 12:33   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyonr3 View Post
close friend just bought a Cal 34 on a lien Sale.. did some swapping to get the motor running, I made him new sail covers and interior for around 12 hundred and he's pulling out next month.. total investment is less than 7 thousand... and you wont find to many people to bad mouth a Cal 34.. Not alot of extras, but sutable for any ocean voyage..........

I should try something like that!
jhetfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2013, 17:05   #94

Boat: Yamaha "Mylady" 25 ft

What about this one (for example)?

1968 Tartan 34 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Yowieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2013, 06:49   #95

Boat: Hughes 38
When I sit down at the dinner table with my family and I bite in to a piece of home made cake I immediately start telling my kids how disgusting it is and that they should at all costs avoid eating it. More for me .
Maybe that's the case with all the naysayers around here...
Old 30-09-2013, 06:52   #96
cruiser

Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yowieboy View Post

that is a nicely laid out little boat.
if i enjoyed bobbing like a cork, i would own it!
scoobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2013, 08:33   #97

Boat: Avon Rib, 65hp

Yes, I suppose all the hulks of the world are listed here and not ONE of them is fit for sea. Note: this is only one search.
Boat Search Results | TheYachtMarket
True value of a boat is in its condition not its price tag, there are plenty of multi thousand dollar unseawothy PsOS for sale.
Anyone who states that a basically good seaworthy boat can't be found in the OP's price range hasn't done much research of late, IMO.
To the OP, listen to the likes of Boatman61 and you won't go too far wrong, although I'd use an AIS! LOL
Cheers,
Mac
Old 30-09-2013, 09:21   #98

Boat: Ericson 27

I have to say that reading this thread has taken the wind out of my sails somewhat. I've been looking all summer, and I was close on a a couple of boats, but still had some hope that I could find a nice little (28-30) coastal cruiser. Now I'm starting to think that anything I buy in that price range (and not the top of the range) may appear worthy in my eyes, but any one of the "blue water" sailors on here would look at it and roll their eyes... except Boatman61 of course!
Come on folks, is there no hope for those of us with small budget and big dreams? The snow is coming and I need that winter fantasy!
Tomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2013, 09:50   #99
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomi View Post
I have to say that reading this thread has taken the wind out of my sails somewhat. I've been looking all summer, and I was close on a a couple of boats, but still had some hope that I could find a nice little (28-30) coastal cruiser. Now I'm starting to think that anything I buy in that price range (and not the top of the range) may appear worthy in my eyes, but any one of the "blue water" sailors on here would look at it and roll their eyes... except Boatman61 of course!
Come on folks, is there no hope for those of us with small budget and big dreams? The snow is coming and I need that winter fantasy!
First, why should you give a shirt what someone else thinks about you or whatever boat you buy. If it does what you want and it's what you can afford then great. Then while you're anchored off the beach watching the sun set over Caribbean you can laugh at the guys with the fancy boats.

BUT!!!

Unless you get extremely lucky like I mentioned before, a widow or even better ex-wife who just wants the husbands boat gone and doesn't care about price, or an abandoned project at a boatyard, you are not going to find a well know, super-duper, heavy duty "bluewater" (boy do I hate that term) ready to sail >30' boat for $15,000.

You might get lucky and find that ex-wife (maybe marry her for the boat ) but until you do, be willing to compromise. Buy the best boat you can afford and put some sweat equity in it. Worry about the essentials and leave the fancy wood work. You can find a boat for $15,000 and go sailing. Maybe not a boat to sail around Cape Horn in the winter, not a boat to get you through the Perfect Storm, but certainly a boat that will take you to the Bahamas. After all, refugees get here from Cuba on inner tubes. Guys in south FL take Hobie Cats to Bimini, jet skis even.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2013, 10:01   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
First, why should you give a shirt what someone else thinks about you or whatever boat you buy. If it does what you want and it's what you can afford then great. Then while you're anchored off the beach watching the sun set over Caribbean you can laugh at the guys with the fancy boats.

BUT!!!

Unless you get extremely lucky like I mentioned before, a widow or even better ex-wife who just wants the husbands boat gone and doesn't care about price, or an abandoned project at a boatyard, you are not going to find a well know, super-duper, heavy duty "bluewater" (boy do I hate that term) ready to sail >30' boat for $15,000.

You might get lucky and find that ex-wife (maybe marry her for the boat ) but until you do, be willing to compromise. Buy the best boat you can afford and put some sweat equity in it. Worry about the essentials and leave the fancy wood work. You can find a boat for $15,000 and go sailing. Maybe not a boat to sail around Cape Horn in the winter, not a boat to get you through the Perfect Storm, but certainly a boat that will take you to the Bahamas. After all, refugees get here from Cuba on inner tubes. Guys in south FL take Hobie Cats to Bimini, jet skis even.
Thanks a lot for that. aside from my momentary lapse of faith, I still think that I'll find a decent little boat, and while money is tight, I have sweat to spare! Saw a nice Tartan30 recently, but the bulkhead appeared to be wet and one of the port chainplates was lifted up 1/2 inch. so, still looking. A Cal34 sold in Chicago for less than 10K - very clean looking.
Not giving up! Maybe I should be stalking the divorce courts.....
Old 30-09-2013, 10:05   #101
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomi View Post
You get what you deserve when you ask someone you dont know "which boat is best for me"...To many variables, to many boats, and to many experiances that dont match your wants or needs,when someone says you cant get a boat for that price its because they couldnt and be damned if you will..I think you are going at it the wrong way,seek out the "Free" boat(there are lots and lots of them out there)that someone has grown tired of or some such thing and then you will stumble across a nice one that is ready for you to take over,ask me how I know....The guy that owned mine was asking for 32 k ,two years later he wanted 18 k, 6 months later he just wanted me to have it because I was the only one of many people that he talked to that didnt bad mouth him or the boat when I talked to him about the boats future..good luck
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2013, 10:08   #102
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post

BUT!!!

I didnt read this before posting...:thum b:
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2013, 10:12   #103

Thanks all and good luck OP! There's a GWC boat out there! (green water capable)
T
Old 30-09-2013, 10:14   #104

Hey! 2 stars! Thanks to all for keeping me coming back for more!
Old 30-09-2013, 10:44   #105
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

asi said i found my nicely newly derelict formosa fully equipped for 10kusd''so ihad to change out some instruments whil eunderway'¡'i updated garmin gpos from 182 to 498, i added a nother transducer andf put y 3000 miles on this boat before doing much other than changing out dead engine for another one and reinforcing bow deck by changing out the backing plate which supports the windlasses and sprit and ...
so..let them say you cannot find a decent basic bluewater boat for under 15000usd--it is possible
you wont die--just fix it a bit and go. then fix it some more and go.until it is fixed enough to your liking, then GO....
might be a bit of a project, but they are out here. happy hunting.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, cruiser, water