Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-09-2013, 07:54   #31

Boat: Ed Hostman Tristar 38 Trimaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Hi, Boatman,

Nice selections to offer him.

Ann
I concur. The Pearson looks like the ticket. With the market where it's at a lot of "old" boats that have been functionally maintained are exceptional values an 15k isn't as crazy to ask as it used to be. Unfortunately the forecast for inexpensive maintenance looks pretty bleak indeed... Motor home makes a lot more financial sense for sure.
CapnBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2013, 08:39   #32

Re: Bluewater Cruisers for under $15,000

Quote:
So yeah, it's a tough group, and I see that as being as it should be. And I stand by my opening statement that there is nothing wrong with starting cheap and small to learn. Like how about learning on SF Bay with a Catalina 22? Learn about what that's like, then move up? The OP's idea of a first bite is really huge.

Ann

Pretty good advice.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2013, 09:00   #33
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Bluewater Cruisers for under $15,000

Quote:
Hi, Boatman,

Nice selections to offer him.

Ann
Thanks Ann... but its probably a Troll... very similar worded Newbie post on electric multihulls...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2013, 10:17   #34

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSloth View Post
If I were trying to do this I'd first look at a Pearson Vanguard. Then a Pearson Invicta and some Albergs. All mid-60s era boats.
Yep, I know of a '73 Alberg 30 (serial number 500 something) with a 1998 Westerbeke Diesel he can probably get for under $15,000. The interior is in awesome shape. Sails above average. New standing rigging.

The boat is out in the boonies on the Eastern Shore of VA.

Alberg 30 for sale - Yakaz For sale

Then there's another one on the same site: w/tiller steering

Alberg 30 for sale - Yakaz For sale
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2013, 11:05   #35

Boat: Nassau 42 SV Ceol Mor

Not quite 15,000 but I highly doubt he will find what he wants for 15,000. For 22,500 though, its pretty darned close.
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...wa-110628.html
Mimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2013, 11:12   #36

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

FWIW:

One sometimes sees Yankee 30's at that price point. I happily sailed mine in SF Bay, up and down the coast to the channel islands and eventually a round trip to Hawaii. They are a typical conservative S&S design, and one of the nicest boats to sail that I have ever been on.

He could do far worse...

Cheers,

Jim
Old 20-09-2013, 11:32   #37

Boat: S2-9.2 CC & IP40

We all know you can buy plenty of boats for the 15000 but the problem is a newbie has no clue what is necessary for long term cruising or how to evaluate a boat and truly know what repairs it needs to make it seaworthy enough.

Anyone can recommend a cheap 'blue water cruiser' but likely for the 15,000 it is unlikely to survive any kind of rough weather. It probably has big problems or issues.

Newbies also have no clue what the term " needs some work" means. Does it mean it needs some paint and elbow grease. Maybe an oil change? Perhaps the teak needs polish.... They don't have a clue that the 15000 boat needs thousands of hours of labor and thousands of dollars to make it into a seaworthy vessel again.
I think trying to explain all of this is what is frustrating.....that is why people need to read and research. Someone that has never owned a big boat has no clue as to how much it really costs.
WebWench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2013, 11:50   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebWench View Post
I will learn to fly later I just want to go ahead and find the plane now.
Good comparison. No one would be stupid enough to think that they should buy the plane before they know anything at all about flying. Not, at least, unless they have money to throw away. So why is it that we get SOOOOOOO many people here who think that buying the boat is the very first thing that they should do--before they even have a clue how they MIGHT use it, let alone having learned enough to have a good idea how they will REALLY use it?

And honestly, I mean absolutely no offense to the OP. You're not unusual. Not at all. This board gets questions like this every week. Hundreds, if not thousands, have tried to put the cart before the horse, which is what you're doing.

I'm just constantly flummoxed by why it is that so very many people seem to approach it this way. I guess maybe, as mentioned before, it comes down to the general public just has an amazing lack of understanding, and lack of respect, for what the sea can do to you if you take it too lightly.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2013, 13:14   #39
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

I used to read a UK publication called Practical Boat Owner back in the 70's early 80's before I bought my 1st boat.. a Pitch Pine on Oak framed bilge keeler from Hungary called a Magyar 7.
I spent 18mths putting her back in shape till my doctor said I was fit again (shattered knee cap etc) then went sailing for a summer in her.
The next season I felt a little bolder so took her across the channel from Poole to Alderney... my navigation was still a bit iffy then and it was pre GPS so got caught in the Alderney race... got a bit lumpy but made it through and spent a lovely w/end on the island... then headed back to Poole Sunday evening... all went splendidly...
Anyway a week later I bought the latest PBO hot of the press as usual and blow me... they wanted readers to send in stories of their trips for publication... Woo Woo...!!
So I spent the next week writing and re-writing my great adventure.. my 1st time out of sight of land on MY 1st boat...
I got a letter back from the Editor berating me for taking a 7metre boat with an OB across the Channel... was I some kind of damn fool...
I never bought that magazine again and my opinion of Denny Desoutter and other 'Yotties' went outa the window..
A bunch of superior 'stick up their ass' dorks..
Yup... I was considered to dumb to sail by the establishment...
But the school of hard knocks is a great school..

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 20-09-2013, 13:41   #40

Boat: Knysna 440

Ok so $15,000 is clearly too low for the size of boat the OP is looking for. What about double that to $30,000? Just wondering cuz I'll be looking for a boat of my own in approx. 19 months.
Lonestaralaskan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2013, 13:46   #41

Boat: 1981 Bristol 41.1
1. Buy an older boat and go though the Aches and pains of learning what works and what don't.
2. Get a competent survey.
3. Bristols come to mind. They hold value.
4. Enjoy the ride. It is wild.
Cap'n B
Bryan Hendrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2013, 13:51   #42
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestaralaskan View Post
Ok so $15,000 is clearly too low for the size of boat the OP is looking for. What about double that to $30,000? Just wondering cuz I'll be looking for a boat of my own in approx. 19 months.
Only in the opinion of those who want all the 'Bells and Whistles' and shiny rigging... the two GRP boats I posted I could take to sea with maybe 5K more than purchase for fitting out..
There's Slocum/Mottesier style then there's the Royal Yacht Club style... how much you spend determines whether your judged a derelict or... a yachtsman...
For example you don't need shiney new stainless swaged standing rigging... you can use galvanised and go down in size as its stronger, safer as its less brittle and will last 25-30 yrs to stainless's 10... and that's heavy use.. not piddling around doing 500 odd miles a year.
And the savings go on...

PS: Slocum and Mottesier were derelicts in their time... today they're famous..

Old 20-09-2013, 15:26   #43

Quote:
We all know you can buy plenty of boats for the 15000 but the problem is a newbie has no clue what is necessary for long term cruising or how to evaluate a boat and truly know what repairs it needs to make it seaworthy enough.

Anyone can recommend a cheap 'blue water cruiser' but likely for the 15,000 it is unlikely to survive any kind of rough weather. It probably has big problems or issues.

Newbies also have no clue what the term " needs some work" means. Does it mean it needs some paint and elbow grease. Maybe an oil change? Perhaps the teak needs polish.... They don't have a clue that the 15000 boat needs thousands of hours of labor and thousands of dollars to make it into a seaworthy vessel again.
I think trying to explain all of this is what is frustrating.....that is why people need to read and research. Someone that has never owned a big boat has no clue as to how much it really costs.

What is the cheapest that you could get a bluewater cruiser in good to excellent condition?
jhetfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2013, 16:15   #44
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

I know where there is a ct 34 that could be had for a few dollars more than 15,its been in fresh water for 25 yrs(83-84 year model) needs a little work on the samson post and a good cleaning...you can find a boat that will work for you for this kind of money,keep looking...
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2013, 16:26   #45
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

Yeah... Okay I'll leave it to an expert...

Tags
cruise, cruiser, water