Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: how would you classify your planned cruising boat
a full "blue water" boat in all regards 88 61.97%
a "coastal cruiser" that I never plan to blue water in 9 6.34%
a coastal cruiser that I will upgrade as needed and then blue water in 25 17.61%
can not classify but if I feel it is a safe boat I will take it anywhere 23 16.20%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-08-2010, 13:42   #16
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
Well the poll got low response, but of the 30 people who did make a choice
Let's hope that's because it's such a tired subject. "Bluewater Boat" is nothing more than a marketing term, something made up by a boat salesman to convince wannabe cruisers that they should purchase brand x rather than brand y. It's the ultimate attack ad, because the implication is that if you venture into blue water in a Brand Y boat, you will probably die.

I don't see the point in putting up another poll that only serves to upset owners of one type of boat or the other. This leads to a shallow sort of discussion that gets us nowhere as a forum. It's especially tiresome when variants of this shallow topic are proposed over and over.

The last thing we need here is another discussion of why BeneHunterlinas are not bluewater boats because they don't have full keels, or why boats with a certain number of hulls are better or worse than other boats, or why certain rigs are less worthy than others.

I look forward to the day when another of these threads (or pseudo-polls) is started and we all ignore it. We should be focusing on cruising, not on promoting one brand over another.
Old 24-08-2010, 14:08   #17
CLOD

Boat: none
The point was to get a poll for what people believed they have without ANY debate as to why it was or wasn't. I NEVER asked for what they had or why anyone else thought their boat was or wasn't. I have a feeling that regardless of the posts that get "discussed" is that most people believe their boat is capable, and if they believe so then I believe they are correct. I posted this as poll so that it wouldn't become a discussion.

But I did enjoy your response to me, Bash. You of course didn't NEED to post it or read the thread.
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2010, 14:16   #18
S&S

Boat: 48' 1963 S&S yawl
Ours is not a "bluewater boat"....

We've got an Ocean Racer!!! Woo hoo!
S&S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2010, 14:29   #19

Boat: Bristol 38.8
Any boat can be a "blue water" boat if you sail it in the right direction. As I said elsewhere, it's all about (1) comfort at sea vs conmfort at the dock, and (2) one's indoividual appetite for risk. Mine happens to be low.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2010, 15:38   #20

Boat: 1984 CS 36
i'm building a bluewater sunfish in my garage as we speak
kb79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2010, 15:53   #21
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
"my sweet Lord " was a catalina 27 that sailed around the world-i think they said the name repeatedly during the trip, but it did it--LOL....1990 i think..or 1991.....

is more the sailors than the boat......
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2010, 16:10   #23

Boat: Mason 53
G'day, mates. At the end of the day in regards to crew & what type of boat, it all boils down to "risk" and how much the captain is willing to undertake. Every captain does their own risk assessment (or not) and makes their decision to go to sea (or not). I did my risk assessment when I bought our Mason and have no regrets. Cheers.
matauwhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2010, 16:43   #24

Boat: Van de Stadt Victory 40 ketch
Send a message via Yahoo to kismet
how about green water?

I have an older (mid 70's) Van de Stadt designed 38' ketch that was built in S. Africa and sailed to Brazil then on to the windward Carib, the east coast of US then europe and back to the east coast via the islands. She needs lots of work, but has been there. So, I guess she fits the bill.
Old 24-08-2010, 18:02   #25

Boat: SJ23 1988
My SJ23... blue water.... yea NOT! Heck just in the PS, she can be a handful in increasing winds that blow up all of a sudden. You could call her "tender" and that would be an understatement.

I'm looking for my BW boat, still looking, lots of good choices out there, I've seen some Racers outfitted to BW capable.... heck some of them 21' Vendeglobe thingy's are ocean cruisers... But not with me aboard. Some of the pictures/movies online scare the (4 letter word) out of me!!!!
FxdGrMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2010, 18:11   #26

Boat: Bombay PH 31
As much as i can research my booat it had engine work done in spain when it was called searapith(sp) now i wouldnt take it ou in over 30kn if i could help it. id call it a coastal cruiser/liveaboard. a mear 480 mile run took me nearly five days, 1 mizzen,an outboard ,most of the dishes and all my nerves.
its lack of upkeep come to haunt me!
keyspc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2010, 18:34   #27

Boat: Orca 38
I just sold my non BW 26' shoal draft Laguna. I also just purchased my next to last boat, a 28' Ed Monk Jr designed, Shookum built sloop. Great boat to practice on both mechanically and sailmanship wise here in Puget Sound. I know after I'm done with her, I could go BW and trust her (and me), BUT in a few years I'll be ready to begin looking for MY BW last boat.
Strait Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2010, 22:02   #28

Boat: Seeker 42
Send a message via Skype™ to Underdog
I must say, I always have a chuckle at any boat shows where, it would appear (according to the sales pitch), every boat there is capable of blue water, ocean passage cruising. Personally I want a boat to be able to take it, and perform, when the most demand is placed on her, not necessarily the most social cockpit layout or "nicest kitchen" (words that raise the chuckle to a laugh........)
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2010, 22:11   #29

Boat: Amel Mango 52'
Amel 53' Been there, done that, crossed the Atlantic, through the Panama Canal, up and down the pacific coast three times and Hawaii and back. I'd call that Blue Water!
Mango Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2010, 00:08   #30

Boat: PETERSON 44
Peterson 44 good in most water colors. Then I wonder would Manry's tinkerbelle been looked upon as a blue water boat. Couldn't have been with that box like cabin trunk. Giles Virtue xxV certainly except for the narrow beam and well that house side. Heresshof alerion mostly no cabin no way a day sailor.Now shackeltons dinghy that was a blue water boat.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote