Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: Open Ocean Sailing
survive it... 10 24.39%
Play in it... 31 75.61%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-11-2011, 15:18   #46

Boat: PETERSON 44
Bad " blue water" events are a culmination of issues/ failures. Good "blue water" events are crew overcoming issues/failures. A lot of a good blue water experience is attitude a bunch a whole bunch is stopping the issues before the water is "blue". Common issues that add up Bad fuel broken tabbing crap dumped all over the boat. No electricity failed steering fittings or life raft not substantially fastened. Take a head door slamming bam bam bam bam and your reefing jammed. No gps because you can't run your engine. Reeding is important but the head door us bashing away. A locker door opens and next weeks pasta is washing around with your dirty socks. Your Crew is sick your life raft just caught a wave and the canister is bobbing off with pieces of your deck. That's a culmination of a bad blue water experience. Your reeding shouldn't jam the door should stay put. Crap should stay in lockers etc.....
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2011, 15:46   #47
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: Blue Water Sailing

thread drift warning ......................... don't say cr** in you threads, some report this to the mods, please ensure you use proper technical terms only
Old 14-11-2011, 16:37   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
Bad " blue water" events are a culmination of issues/ failures. Good "blue water" events are crew overcoming issues/failures. A lot of a good blue water experience is attitude a bunch a whole bunch is stopping the issues before the water is "blue". Common issues that add up Bad fuel broken tabbing crap dumped all over the boat. No electricity failed steering fittings or life raft not substantially fastened. Take a head door slamming bam bam bam bam and your reefing jammed. No gps because you can't run your engine. Reeding is important but the head door us bashing away. A locker door opens and next weeks pasta is washing around with your dirty socks. Your Crew is sick your life raft just caught a wave and the canister is bobbing off with pieces of your deck. That's a culmination of a bad blue water experience. Your reeding shouldn't jam the door should stay put. Crap should stay in lockers etc.....
Maybe I'm slow. But what the heck are you talking about. I've read it twice and I think the rant may have something to do with reading by the light of the head????? But I agree that Cr@p should stay in lockers......

Mark Twain
knotnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2011, 16:38   #49

Sorry edit iPhone puts words how it wants. Your reeding should be fine the reef system see iPhone likes that term should nit jam. when I type old socks dog food and yarn remnants I phone says crap. It takes several minutes of back space and return hits to convince it I want to say old socks and yarn remnants. Even then it posts crap. I meant to say crappy old dog food and remnants of socks
Old 14-11-2011, 16:57   #50

Send a message via Skype™ to mdvick

Z has the idea. I want it, I want it ALL, and I want it NOW!!!
Old 14-11-2011, 17:19   #51
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: now skippering Syd Harbour charters

Quote:
edit iPhone puts words how it wants
mmm...true, but we prefer (and reckon it's probably more fun!) to blame beer fingers...
D&D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2011, 17:39   #52

Boat: Orca 38

What he said!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney View Post
The first time I got hit with a wave big enough to knock me on my a##, I knew I had found my calling. The sea had reached up and taken its first punch and now I knew that this was a beast that I must conquer.
Since that time, I spent countless hours watching the oceans every move, learning its habits, observing its strengths, its weaknesses. I understand now that this beast can never be completely conquered, but at the least it could be tamed.
Now, almost every waking minute is spent on becoming a better sailor. Learning seamanship, celestial navigation, weather patterns, boat design, and marine electronics, anything that can be used to arm myself for battle.
It has become an obsession. Practice, practice, and more practice In fact, at times it has become almost more of a battle with myself then a battle with the sea, but all the fears must be set aside. Now, the only time I feel truly alive is when I am battling the ocean one on one. Just a man against the sea..

Old 14-11-2011, 17:43   #53

Boat: Orca 38

Ha, Z you kill me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
-i have a formosa-- SOMETHING will break EVERY time....
Old 14-11-2011, 18:11   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by knotnow

Maybe I'm slow. But what the heck are you talking about. I've read it twice and I think the rant may have something to do with reading by the light of the head????? But I agree that Cr@p should stay in lockers......
No rant. If the boat is very well prepared. Checked out ready. Ie raft doesn't rip out of deck fuel tanks are not full of algae bulkhead tabbing is good, hoses replaced hardware is backed up bedded well chainplates have been checked,rigging in good order You will probably have a good experience if your up to it. If you leave this preparation to chance you are more likely to have a negative experience. we read often here.when the title is s/v abandoned It is so common the engine would not start so we dropped sail. Then with no lights we found a leek the raft was ripped from it's mountings by a wave etc... Just read about a Tripp design that was great except the batteries went flying floor boards were loose. The crew of three pulled it off with obvious experience. Crew of 2 could be in Trouble. Limit the liability. Then a great story about a gulfstar busting it's chainplates in a recent post . Small failures add up guess that is a rant. Very rare I hear this broke so we ditched it is common that we here a list.
Old 14-11-2011, 19:35   #55

Quote:
No rant. If the boat is very well prepared. Checked out ready. Ie raft doesn't rip out of deck fuel tanks are not full of algae bulkhead tabbing is good, hoses replaced hardware is backed up bedded well chainplates have been checked,rigging in good order You will probably have a good experience if your up to it. If you leave this preparation to chance you are more likely to have a negative experience. we read often here.when the title is s/v abandoned It is so common the engine would not start so we dropped sail. Then with no lights we found a leek the raft was ripped from it's mountings by a wave etc... Just read about a Tripp design that was great except the batteries went flying floor boards were loose. The crew of three pulled it off with obvious experience. Crew of 2 could be in Trouble. Limit the liability. Then a great story about a gulfstar busting it's chainplates in a recent post . Small failures add up guess that is a rant. Very rare I hear this broke so we ditched it is common that we here a list.
Easy my friend,

I think we’re on the same page here.
A great owner/delivery skipper would or should have handled all of the aforementioned concerns before slipping lines. I’m still a little confused about the contexts of your original post.

Piece

Rick

Mark Twain
knotnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2011, 19:57   #56

Not sure how I confused. Anyway no worrie. I'm amidst rebuilding fwd cabin. I saw some separation at interior Joinery. So I am ripping out the head liner and tabbing in bulkheads. So far pretty poor job by the original builder. 15years ago maybe it was okay but in the long haul these bulkheads should have been tabbed both sides it's a small detail but like old chainplates poor fittings it addes up. Culmination of irritations equals bad experience .
Old 15-11-2011, 06:32   #57
Armchair Bucketeer

Never done any (what I would call) Blue Water sailing. Nor had any great interest in doing so.

In my 20's and 30's would have been looking for the challenge end of things and doing it just for the fun ........nowadays with a 4 in my age would still be looking for "Fun", but that would be involving rather more comfort - although the challenge side would be a factor, just not the driver..........and I'd need a reason to want to get to the other side

Still no great desire to cross oceans by boat, but I hope to have at least one more Hurrah! in me...........maybe involving a boat, but there be other options for that
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blue water sailing, sailing, water