Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-07-2013, 20:52   #211

Re: Block Island Anchor Drag/Tow $$$

Malbert nailed it.
Old 23-07-2013, 04:22   #212
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknav View Post
Maybe one of the MOD's can do us a favor and shuts down this thread.

no don't do that, we always need to have a good bitching thread active
Old 23-07-2013, 05:02   #213
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperbird View Post
After being shanghai-ed, sailors on Naval vessels would be provided with a sailor's kit: clothes, jacket, knife, etc. For a price of course. And then they would have to work off the price of their kit. At some point in the voyage, all the shanghai'ed sailors would have paid off their initial debt. They would build a straw horse, parade it around the ship flogging it all the way. After it was soundly beat and flogged, they would throw it overboard and celebrate that they would henceforth keep what they earned. So 'beating the dead horse' was the end of a painful lesson about not going into town and getting shanghai'ed.

You went to town, you got shanghai'ed, the dead horse has been soundly flogged. Now toss it overboard and get on with the rest of the cruise.

Yep.

PS
Hi Greg
Old 23-07-2013, 06:53   #214

Boat: 1962 28' Pearson Triton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
A huge number of experienced cruisers comprise this forum, people who spend a considerable amount of time at anchor.
Maybe. But keep in mind-there are also a huge number of members on this forum who spend a considerable amount of time just shooting off their mouths. And who never know when to quit.
1962 Pearson Triton, #318
Old 23-07-2013, 07:25   #215

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triton318 View Post
Maybe. But keep in mind-there are also a huge number of members on this forum who spend a considerable amount of time just shooting off their mouths. And who never know when to quit.
Stupid comment... people use these sites to share, learn and express themselves. Anyone who relies on advice from unqualified random messages on the www for important decisions and matters is not doing their due diligence.

we report... you decide
trust but verify
Old 23-07-2013, 07:26   #216

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Sure the other boat could have let it go...he never was obligated to stop the hazard in the first place....with no people aboard there is no "required" action...and all he had to do was let it go because it was "hazarding" his boat...do you people ever really tink this stuff through?

It's not double a "reasonable amount" because we have no idea what was actually done...the OP has said a few thing...hardly facts in any case...and the bystander e-mail doesn't mean a thing....and won't in a court of law or maritime court either other than maybe a "timeline" verification.
There's no obligation to do anything for another soul... why would anyone? Oh.. I forgot... money comes to mind.
Old 23-07-2013, 07:28   #217

Quote:
and I thought you said you were through...the dink story isn't even close and you are not in the business of marine salvage which you clearly don't understand as pointed out by me and others. Might be better if you stick to your statement in post #162 "I am not wasting more time with this. "

Just for those that never really read or understand maritime salvage...the reason the awards seem greater than reasonable is that the courts have long upheld that companies that keep vessels, crews and equipment read and willing to do maritime salvage deserve to be rewarded accordingly. If risk is involved...the greater the reward.

The basics of this case are in question..because we have not heard from the "other good sam boat" till then who really knows what happened and most importantly WHY. Till then it is very easy to call this case salvage and the $675 is dirt cheap. If you decide that it's not salvage...then the $675 is considered reasonable withing the scope of work...as been upheld again by the courts and many just regular joe boaters here in this forum...what else is there to be said?
blah blah blah blah... we know where you are coming from...
Old 23-07-2013, 07:30   #218

Quote:
I guess my interpretation of "take charge of" is different.

A boat blows down on me...I fend it off...and tie it off to my stern....

I wait to see if I get any help from the owner, harbormaster, Assistance towers, other good sams. I'm not required to call anyone...and maybe I tried and no one answered.

I feel like my anchor is going to drag...I can't jeopardize my boat with persons on board so I release the other boat and issue a PAN PAN or Securite' that maybe no one hears either.

ANY court would be hard pressed to even suggest that I would be at fault if I realeased the other boat.

At this point I don't know if I would love to see the OP take the towing company to court...after the black eye this and other towing companies have gotten from some of the "uninformed posters" here...it may be refreshing to see a careless boater REALLY stung for what has happened. Not because of his mistake...we all make them...but this thread and feeding a fire that is a common, every day occurrence.

I really don't want that ....but some of you guys just don't get it.....maybe seeing what the courts say about it may open your eyes.... I bet 100 to 1 in favor of the towing company based on what I know.
I am sure you would volunteer to testify for the defense.
Old 23-07-2013, 07:30   #219

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don L View Post
no don't do that, we always need to have a good bitching thread active
excellent point. lessons learned

we report you decide
Old 23-07-2013, 07:37   #220

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
Sounds like easily can be called a perilous situation. Boat ZZZZZ, I imagine, had appropriately sized and scoped anchoring gear for herself."
Anchoring includes a margin of safety. How else would you account for the rafting you see? (Idon't do it and I don't like it but for short periods when all boats are occupied) Admittedly the stresses on the anchor ARE increased as the windage etc. are added as stress to the ground tackle. But anchors set at 20 knots can hold in 40 and usually do and that way more than double the force. Anyone who sets an anchor AT the limit of their tackle and the bottom is incompetent. Conditions change. Be prepared.
Old 23-07-2013, 07:41   #221

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanksalot View Post
There's two "approaches" to discussing this topic. One is to look at my errors, look at the inconvenience and hazard I caused other boaters, and claim that whatever punishment I got was deserved. Make the charge $6750 and it's fair, because I made errors. The "salvage" aspect makes it possible to have the punishment match or exceed the crime.

The other approach is the "what does the law say" approach. I understand, clearly, that there WAS a salvage situation. The good Samaritan "salvaged" my vessel. He was inconvenienced, called the harbormaster, and Safe/Sea took my vessel away.

What I've yet to get clear is under what authority my vessel can get towed away when not in peril.

I am not disputing that I had no right to inconvenience the Samaritan. He was gone the next morning and the previous evening he (probably) called the harbormaster to pick up my boat because he wanted the peace of mind that he could leave when he planned. I am not saying that I shouldn't pay for my errors.

What I AM questioning is whether $675 is an equitable amount for (approx.) 45 minutes of towing time and whether there was a legal justification for taking possession of my vessel. Most people on this forum seem to feel the $675 is fair, but I've yet to get clarification on how, legally, the tower could take possession of my vessel and tow it away.

" I am not disputing that I had no right to inconvenience the Samaritan."

You had no right to inconvenience anybody in the anchorage! Time to get proper ground tackle, learn how to use it, take a boating course, purchase towing insurance AND GROW UP BEFORE YOU REALLY GET YOUR @$$ HANDED TO YOU BY SOMEBODY WHO WILL NOT PUT UP WITH YOUR KNOW NOTHING CRAP IN AN ANCHORAGE.
Old 23-07-2013, 07:54   #222

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

MR. MODERATOR--

This thread is not going to get any better. Many think it is time to shut it down
Old 23-07-2013, 07:59   #223
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggysail View Post
MR. MODERATOR--

This thread is not going to get any better. Many think it is time to shut it down

maybe, but I've learned something and it is that I've been right in passing Block Island by
Old 23-07-2013, 08:01   #224
cruiser

Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggysail View Post
" I am not disputing that I had no right to inconvenience the Samaritan."

You had no right to inconvenience anybody in the anchorage! Time to get proper ground tackle, learn how to use it, take a boating course, purchase towing insurance AND GROW UP BEFORE YOU REALLY GET YOUR @$$ HANDED TO YOU BY SOMEBODY WHO WILL NOT PUT UP WITH YOUR KNOW NOTHING CRAP IN AN ANCHORAGE.
please keep your tips private. i enjoy watching people fail on the 4th of july.
Old 23-07-2013, 08:10   #225

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

I will put it out of its misery. OK this one is dead.

Closed Thread

Tags
anchor