Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-01-2005, 01:34   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Blew out the Genoa

Awwwe Nuts!. I blew out the new Genoa today. It failed along a seam. I haven't pulled it down off the Furler yet. Will try and do that tomorrow if it ain't too windy.
However, I need some advice guy's/girls. I suspect the seam failed due to wear, as the Genoa runs past the stays during a tack. It is a No2 and I have ended up furling it into a No.1 size, so as it doesn't come around the stays. So is it a case of getting something like baggy wrinkles on the rigging or what is the best scenario here. I notice wear in the fabric along the foot. So I need to protect it urgent. And it would be a pain if I have to furl it every time I tack. Especially when sailing in the Sound. It is an infuriating piece of water, as the wind shifts all over the place.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2005, 19:37   #2

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Blowing out a seam isn't too bad. As long as the cloth is in good shape, a restiching would be a good cure. As well, you could have the whole thing inspected for other possible weak pionts.

If your getting chafing along the foot you may want to install shroud rollers. I plan to make up a set for mime. I have a 150% genoa and the foot is 26' so every time tacking she drags about 12' around the shrouds.

I found letting off the sheet and feeding it out a lot before tacking helps keep down the stress on the cloth as well as the sheets. Avoid back the genoa when she's still sheeted in. I seen an upper spreader go right through a genoa.

If your getting wind shifts you must be close to shore. That's what I hate about (small) lake sailing. Your always close to shore.................._/)
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2005, 23:55   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Yes about close to shore. It is 40Nm down the sound before open sea. So it is a long way under motor bfore you can start sailing in "open sea" conditions. So the temptation is to sail in the sound. I motor sail actually. It's too frustrating otherwise. One second you have a mill pond, no wind at all, then you see a shift coming and it will blow 30knts and more for maybe 30secs then back to mill pond smooth again. Sometimes you can have a good blow for awhile and you think, yippeedoo, where off, but then the wind will start to come about and you have to tack.

Anyways, the Genoa is 22ft along the foot. And as we are a Ketch, I guess the Main mast is closer forward than a sloop? is that correct. So we also get about 12ft of it wraped around the shrouds. Including the sheets/shackle at the clew of tha sail. And it is a pig to get it to come around. When it finally does, we are so far around in the tack that it goes to the otherside with some real force.
It is close to new, so the fabric is in excellent condition. I got it down this morning and was relieved to see only a seam failed and no damage to the fabric at all. So I will get that sorted this week.

Now to these shroud rollers. I have seen a professional system that clips on to the wire, but so ridiculousely expensive here. So what about useing say a PVC pipeing?? Would that do the trick??

Old 23-01-2005, 03:04   #4

Boat: Privilege 37
Try the following

The following data was provided from the same link:
Does your Genoa clew get hung up on the forward lower stay whenever you tack ? The solution is easy. You need a shroud roller. West Marine has a pair of five foot length rollers for $55.00. But you don't really need a five foot length so cut them in half and share the cost with a fellow sailor
Talbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2005, 08:29   #5

Here is an artical from sailnet where this guy made his own. I plan to do the same. $55-65 seems a bit steep for pieces of plastic tub. I paid that for a complete vinal window for the house.

http://www.sailnet.com/collections/a...yd0072+&tfr=fp

................................................_/)
Old 23-01-2005, 09:42   #6

Boat: 34’ Marine Trader
A piece of plastic pipe from the hardware store and some tape will give the same results or bamboo if it is available. No tools needed other than a small saw and some time.
Jim

We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
--Aristotle
Jentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2005, 10:25   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thanks all. From all the thoughts supplied, I have come up with a great idea. I still have some bearings left over from my Furler install. I had way more than enough foil and bearings. I will look at making something up with the bearings inside to swivel on the shrouds.

Old 23-01-2005, 21:03   #8

Boat: Saugeen Witch, Colvin design vessel name: Witchcraft
Of course this might not be the most popular idea, but one could always make baggy-wrinkle. Uses up materials , boaters already have in abundance. Also harkens back to days of yore.
Fair Winds
Witchcraft
witchcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2005, 21:42   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

A yacht came into our Marina a few months back. It was so covered in Baggy wrinkles, it looked like it was a fury monster in the middle of a Mult. I guess they work, but my thought when I saw these, was it must be havock with windage.

Old 24-01-2005, 09:19   #10

Boat: Saugeen Witch, Colvin design vessel name: Witchcraft
I certainly agree, they are odd looking. I suspect that while they do work, they likely do add to windage. Anything we put on our standing rigging adds to windage.
Certainly uses up time on long watches, or when becalmed, this making of baggy wrinkle. Perhaps that is one of it's biggest benefits.
Cheers
Witchcraft
witchcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2005, 20:52   #11

Hmmm, Are you perhaps releasing to late? Some tacking force is to be expected, but not slamming! Helmsman should be quick but smooth & slow-up at the upper degree of the tack to eliminate a helms-a-lee situation. Lake sailing is always a challange. Be lucky that you blew on a seam. Repairs can be done and be very sturdy. Your shrouds look well protected, some lakes can be very fickle. Suggest a fore crewman to clear any hang-ups.
Old 24-01-2005, 23:20   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Yes Joyce, it is releasing too late. It is releasing too late because it gets caught. I can't afford anyone up the front as she is too big. Anyone in the way, with lack of experieance (and we have plenty of that) will at best, go for the ride of there life, at worst, will get seriuosly hurt. We can often get gusts of 40 to 50knts. That is just common and you have no way of knowing the exact direction. You do get some prior warning if you have a little sea room between you and the gust. The water will wisp away of the surface of the sea in great swirls and they are called Willywars here. Although I don't know how you spell that. The wind gusts are because of a Catabatic type situation. Not true catabatic, because it is not cold air falling as such, but just strong winds being forced up the slopes of the hills sourrounding the sound and then racing back down the other side at tremendouse pace and turbulance.
The sail went to the Sailmaker today, so I will hear from him in a day or two I guess.

Old 25-01-2005, 20:26   #13

Willywars

I kind of like that name.

It pretty much discribes the wind. Here in the PNW we call it turbulance or rising air.

When you get close to shore here in the sound the wind will start to excellerate. And as you get closer it will then die down. The racing groups take advantange of the rising air to try and out manuvor their opponants. But have to tack before getting too far into the dead air.
Old 26-01-2005, 07:55   #14

Boat: Viking 33 Tanzer 8.5m Tanzer 22
Williwaw

Williwaw has been used as a boat name. The spelling obviously varies. Michael
BC Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2005, 10:36   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Now that is probably more accurate spelling. So is that a NZ name, or old sailing term, thus a name used to call the phenomena all over the world?
So Mike, how is the boat scouting going? Need a crew for the trip home? or are you thinking of returning to these lovely shores?
Wheels

Tags
Genoa