Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 16-09-2014, 03:24   #31

Re: Bilgeaphobia: Fear of Bilges

Bilges are a good thing and there is no need to fear them. Keep em clear of debris and check the pump strainers once in a while. I have a 12 volt, 110 volt, and the hand pump in the cockpit.

No worries

Old 16-09-2014, 03:52   #32
Certifiable Refitter/Senior Wannbe

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Van DeStat Super Dogger 31'

I'm with Old Snipe
I love my bilge; it's my first line of defence in keeping my feet dry.

All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2014, 04:02   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Maxi 77 - Relax Lah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karma_Killz View Post
Morning all, let's begin with an apology up front, for fear is at times a very silly thing.

Now on to legitimacy. In all my research & minor experience in sailing there is one tiny itty bitty thing that keeps me up at night. The horror story's I have heard about neglected boats with bilge pump malfunctions as well as current operational boats with bilge problems.

This scares me to no end, in doing research on my future boat I plan on purchasing and equipping 1) bilge pump 2) back up bilge pump 3) back up back up bilge pump 4) manual bilge pump

Clearly this is borderline insanity. What can be learned to remedy this fear? Knowledge must be the answer!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
I don't think you fear the bilge, you fear water in the bilge.

So here is the religion of bilge pumps on CF -

Religion 1 - You will have enough bilge pump / thrash pump to stave of any leak, including the boat being cleaved in half... And if you don't you are an idiot.

Religion 2 - The bilge pump is an automatic or manual device designed to extend the time from leak starting until breach is fixed or crew has abandoned ship.

Atheism - Bilge pump? We don't need no stinkin' bilge pumps. I have a bucket cum bailer cum crapper
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2014, 05:21   #34

Boat: Wauquiez Amphitrite 43

I'm just scared of my bilge I can't see or touch the bottom. It's under the engine bed and if I'm near it I worry about a hand coming out and grabbing my ankle!
Old 16-09-2014, 05:45   #35
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat

My take:

- electric pumps - as many and as powerful as you el system can take,

This entails at least one per each bilge run between watertight bulkheads.
This entails at least two in a boat without bulkheads.

- manual backups - depending on number of crew.

This entails one manual pump as a minimum. Go big and quality.

b.
Old 17-09-2014, 11:06   #36

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon-C22 Chrysler Sunpiper- 19 Potter-Preparing to cruise w/my girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnno View Post
Having spent 23 days with the 'toy' electric bilge pump fitted to a production Beneteau running and still having to pump around 50 litres an hour by hand after a mid Pacific disaster, I speak with authority in saying;

1. fit a 'Y' valve to your main engine water intake with one end fitted with a strainer and running to the main bilge. This way you can use your main engine as a secondary bilge pump. Mighty fine WELL KNOWN idea that has small returns on investment and performance...
A) volume of a raw water pump it pretty dang small, only good for maintaining a small constant influx
B) Block the intake with debris, or suck up all the water... And you burn up your impeller... making you now totally screwed when you really need your powerplant...

2. Don't depend on Diaphragm type bilge pump! they all fail after 24 hours continuous use!
3. Get a couple of West Marine stirrup pumps and a couple of stout buckets. In an emergency pump into the buckets and empty them into the galley sink.
4. Fit a 'real' electric bilge pump capable of moving serious water. +1OR cascade pumps... My working pump is 1", and handles the everyday stuff... The "stacked" secondary is 1-1/2, and empties 10 gal in less than 15 seconds... It only operates when the primary can't keep up...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warby12 View Post
I'm just scared of my bilge I can't see or touch the bottom. It's under the engine bed and if I'm near it I worry about a hand coming out and grabbing my ankle!
Long way down there in the dark ain't it???
Boooooo.....

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bilge

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: