Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 14-09-2014, 12:47   #16

Boat: Irwin 40
Re: Bilgeaphobia: Fear of Bilges

Yep 30 min on bilge pumps. Everything you wanted to know and then some. Yeah its a little dull but what can I say it is hard to make bilge pumps exciting lol. I have been surprised by the positive feedback though.

sailvayu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2014, 12:51   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailvayu View Post
Yep 30 min on bilge pumps. Everything you wanted to know and then some. Yeah its a little dull but what can I say it is hard to make bilge pumps exciting lol. I have been surprised by the positive feedback though.

Bilge pumps 3: high tide
A film directed by Michael bay

*gets popcorn*

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Old 14-09-2014, 12:53   #18

Boat: csy 37

[QUOTE=sailorboy1;1627884]
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post

You pour them in the sink. If the sink is already below the waterline, it is too late.
Best to bucket it out through the companionway hatch. Bigger target and the cockpit scuppers should drain faster than the sink.
Old 14-09-2014, 13:09   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

I share the OP concern with bilges, I am always cleaning ours with the vacumn cleaner and then polish.

Have a what of this and see how slowly the water actually comes in and some of the ideas they try out.

Yachting Monthly's Crash Test Boat is holed Part 1 - YouTube
Old 14-09-2014, 13:33   #20

Since you asked...

My experience was a literal dark and stormy night in the Med. Boat was a 60-ft wooden ketch with 5 crew, a hole in the bottom and a LOT of water inside. The two engine-driven pumps had both failed due to crap such as can labels and cigarette butts clogging their intakes. (The butts got there way before we did, since no one on board smoked.) Yes, we were unclogging them regularly, but it was a harrowing experience. Boat was rolling heavily, accentuated by water sloshing from side to side, and when it rolled to port, the water sloshed over the batteries and touching anything metal gave you a shock. So you'd wedge yourself next to the Jabsco pump with another guy beside you, and carefully take out each screw from the faceplate and hand it to him. His only job was to hold the five screws until you got the impeller out and cleaned out the intakes and then he'd hand you each screw, one by one, and you'd put it all back together. (We didn't know if the pumps would run with one screw missing, thus the extra care.) The pumps were engaged by a little clutch lever. As I recall, you'd get maybe 5 minutes or a bit more of pumping before the pump would clog again (you could tell because the face of the pump got hot). And then you'd do it all over again.

In the meantime, we had a bucket brigade going. No companionway to deal with - the engine room was under the main salon and had its own hatch. But it was about a 7 or 8-ft climb down a ladder to get there. So we had several buckets on ropes. One guy was at the bottom dunking them full and two to three people were up top hauling them up and dumping them over the side. In between all this we had to search for and plug the hole. It was about 2 inches in diameter and maybe 4 feet under the waterline.

It was a long night. We discovered the leak about midnight and had finally dewatered the boat by dawn. I spent hours at both ends of the bucket brigade and my arms have never been so sore before or since. And I should give due credit to the two women aboard - they were flinging more buckets than any of us.

All this said, that was the only time in 40-some years of sailing that I really worried we might lose the boat. And with all the problems we had with the pumps, I think the bucket brigades did make the difference in saving her. FWIW, we did have our 12-ft Boston Whaler unstrapped and ready to go.
Old 14-09-2014, 13:43   #21
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

[QUOTE=sailorboy1;1627884]
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post

You pour them in the sink. If the sink is already below the waterline, it is too late.
Of course, boat sink drains are typically 3/4" and drain about 4 gpm at best. But that is probably the best alternative you've got.

And with heavier boats, not far above at all. You've got to figure that the the head rim is typically below the water line. On some boats the sinks are BWL, at least on one tack.

Writing full-time since 2014.
Bookstore:http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/20...ook-store.html
thinwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2014, 13:50   #22
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

killz, you've been misinformed.

Bilge pumps don't malfunction. Ever. Rather, they are disposable, consumable, pieces of equipment. Like a bar of soap, they can be used so many times and then, they are gone.

There are some games you can only win by not playing them. So it is with bilge pumps.

Now, on the other hand, if you are concerned with water getting into your boat, what you want to do is find a trash pump, or wastewater pump, which is powered by a small gasoline or diesel engine, and capable of pumping huge quantities of "trash" water. Rigging up your high water switch to an electric starter is a piece of cake, Rat Shack does sell the necessary parts, although they may be hidden in the rear, behind the curtain, in the Adult section away from all the toys.

No need to worry about alarms, since the throaty roar of a trash pump will wake everyone onboard, and in the next slip at any marina.

One pump, that's all it takes. But not a pump form the toy store. Aim your sights just a little higher.

TSURUMI Dewatering Pump,Centrifugal,8 HP - Utility/Dewatering Pumps - 20LR10|TE2-100HA - Grainger Industrial Supply
Old 14-09-2014, 14:30   #23

Boat: 1976 32' Downeaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailvayu View Post
Oh wow, this was such a great video for a newbie like me. Thank you so much for sharing it.
Old 14-09-2014, 21:50   #24

Boat: Catalina 30

That thirty minute video only took me
15 minutes to watch. Still understandable
at 2x speed.
jongleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2014, 08:43   #25

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karma_Killz View Post
Morning all, let's begin with an apology up front, for fear is at times a very silly thing.

Now on to legitimacy. In all my research & minor experience in sailing there is one tiny itty bitty thing that keeps me up at night. The horror story's I have heard about neglected boats with bilge pump malfunctions as well as current operational boats with bilge problems.

This scares me to no end, in doing research on my future boat I plan on purchasing and equipping 1) bilge pump 2) back up bilge pump 3) back up back up bilge pump 4) manual bilge pump

Clearly this is borderline insanity. What can be learned to remedy this fear? Knowledge must be the answer!

Does not sound like borderline insanity to me.

Old 15-09-2014, 12:17   #26

Boat: Tayana 58 DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
One pump, that's all it takes. But not a pump form the toy store. Aim your sights just a little higher.
uh oh, now I'm scratching my head wondering where I can stow the 16,000gph trash pump I've been mistakenly storing in the barn...

I never had bilgeaphobia before
Old 15-09-2014, 12:35   #27
Don't ask if you can't handle it

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by accomplice View Post
uh oh, now I'm scratching my head wondering where I can stow the 16,000gph trash pump I've been mistakenly storing in the barn...

I never had bilgeaphobia before

What, doesn't a T58 doesn't have a barn?
Old 15-09-2014, 12:43   #28

Boat: Tayana 58 DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
What, doesn't a T58 doesn't have a barn?
I suppose I could put it in the aft sail locker. But I'd have to pull it out every time I went to get something. I wonder if my crew would think I'm safety-minded, carrying it just in case -- or if it would prove to them that I'm nuts.
Old 15-09-2014, 13:31   #29

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Morning all, let's begin with an apology up front, for fear is at times a very silly thing.

Now on to legitimacy. In all my research & minor experience in sailing there is one tiny itty bitty thing that keeps me up at night. The horror story's I have heard about neglected boats with bilge pump malfunctions as well as current operational boats with bilge problems.

This scares me to no end, in doing research on my future boat I plan on purchasing and equipping 1) bilge pump 2) back up bilge pump 3) back up back up bilge pump 4) manual bilge pump

Clearly this is borderline insanity. What can be learned to remedy this fear? Knowledge must be the answer!

I had replied that I didn't think it was insanity. I'm an advocate of a pump per compartment, even if the bulkheads don't go to waterline height. Have a bung for the limber holes. If the pump can't handle the compartment a bung can be removed. The talk about trash in the bilge is insanity. Keep bilges painted white and clean enough to eat out of. Just my father's view and I'm a believer.
Old 16-09-2014, 02:56   #30

Boat: Cheoy Lee 43 Pilothouse Ketch

Having spent 23 days with the 'toy' electric bilge pump fitted to a production Beneteau running and still having to pump around 50 litres an hour by hand after a mid Pacific disaster, I speak with authority in saying;

1. fit a 'Y' valve to your main engine water intake with one end fitted with a strainer and running to the main bilge. This way you can use your main engine as a secondary bilge pump.
2. Don't depend on Diaphragm type bilge pump! they all fail after 24 hours continuous use!
3. Get a couple of West Marine stirrup pumps and a couple of stout buckets. In an emergency pump into the buckets and empty them into the galley sink.
4. Fit a 'real' electric bilge pump capable of moving serious water.

Quote:

Tags
bilge

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: