Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2012, 17:58   #1

Big Questions

i am new at all this and would like info like where to start i would like to sail in the carabbien for a couple of years all a lone where should i start thanks
bigbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 00:55   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: big questions

probably best to start in the carib,trinidad or grenada are good places to pick up 2nd hand boats
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 02:28   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Bob.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 06:13   #4

Pretty vague. Do you know how to sail? Have you ever owned a boat? Do you have a particular budget in mind? Do you know what kinds of boats you prefer and/or what kind of sailing you want to do?

If the answer to all of these questions is "no" then my advice would be to spend time (a LOT of time!) reading the threads on this forum and some of the many blogs of cruising sailors that you will find on the internet.

Do that and then you may be able to come back with questions that are specific enough to get useful answers.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 06:31   #5

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

agree with denverdon - but would add why do you want to do that - it is an important question - if you have been reading the cruising mags and think that life is like that down here well i got news and bad news
good news is sometimes and even lots of times it is
bad news is sometimes it is not and you will wish you were in a recliner someplace watching the americas cup on tv --
but over all think about why you want to come down -
please do not get me wrong it is a great life and we love it most of the time -

one other thing deverdon did not mention is where are you in you life plan - young, middle age, old (we are old both of us are in mid 60s) -- where is your money coming from -

and lastly read and read - beth leonards book is a good start

if we can help let us know - we do not do a blog but do newsletters to folks - if you would like on the list please send me a private message and i will add you
the next one is coming out fairly soon and will be on trini or what it costs us to cruise

good luck and let us know if we can help

just our opinion and thoughts
chuck patty and svsoulmates
in trinidad for hurricane season
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:15   #6

start the sail? start the learning process? start the search for a boat?

start what?

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:07   #7

Boat: 1968 Columbia 50

Welcome aboard the CF Bob.

Scott
SV Siren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:55   #8

Boat: a sailing boat

Reading this forum and doing some sailing in local waters can be a good starting point.

All the best, enjoy sailing,
barnakiel
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2012, 20:34   #9

thank for all the advice guys. what size boat would be good for the island and costal cruising? any kind boat in particuler. what should i stay away from?
bigbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2012, 21:45   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

A reminder, this is a forum, not a texting platform.

In order for readers to readily be able to read your posts, please conform to normal written English, which means capitalization when appropriate (especially at the start of sentences) and correct punctuation.

Thanks for your cooperation.

AVB3
Old 23-10-2012, 22:20   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

If I might add to what avb3 posted above:

If you take the trouble to actually write in English, you are showing respect for other members, so that they can readily understand what you are trying to say.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2012, 04:18   #12

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Big Questions

I think your choices are pretty countless: search online and see what your heart desires then check that your wallet is fat enough ...

Remember there will be some relationship between the size of the boat and the resulting costs of berthing, equipment upgrades, etc..

You will need some money for cruising each year, so do NOT overspent on the boat.

If you are handy (very) then you can get an older boat in less than perfect (still preferably good) condition and fix all and any non-critical/structural matters. This may come out cheaper and you will learn about your boat a lot, which in some cases may be a bonus.

If you are not, you will probably go for a boat in good / sail away condition.

Avoid old, heavy boats with plenty of peeling varnish outside and rusty motor inside, unless this is what fits your dream best. Some people find more pleasure fixing than sailing.

Some boats are easier to re-sell than others, if this may count to you, buy a boat with good re-sell market.

Do not limit your search to the Caribbean, you can easily buy a boat on the other side and sail her to the Caribbean.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2012, 04:39   #13

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Bob,

I think you need to add some specifics. How adept are you at sailing? For a very experienced sailor (which you probably aren't, looking at your questions), single-handing a bigger boat is not a problem. For the unexperienced..............

How long a passage will you be making? Will you spend most nights in marinas or on the hook?

Most of all - how much money do you have to spend and how much can you afford for upkeep? Are you handy with tools? Can you fix most of it yourself?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2012, 15:39   #14

If that is a solid requirement then you probably shouldn't have made a phone app, it's very difficult to conform to conventional typing rules while on a smart phone. Not impossible but very difficult.
DSDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2012, 16:36   #15
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbob View Post
i am new at all this and would like info like where to start i would like to sail in the carabbien for a couple of years all a lone where should i start thanks
Singlehanded sailing is for experts. If you are truly "new at all this" then you ought to focus on other types of cruising for a few years. Crewing for others is a great way to learn the ropes.

Caribbean sailing tends to be benign unless it's hurricane season. What most Caribbean-only cruisers look for in a boat is something with a shallow draft. This will open up twice as many cruising grounds and anchorages for you.

Step one: learn to sail.