The other day I was in our cockpit
locker and I saw something odd. Our engine exhaust
hose exits the boat here and looked to me to be in excellent condition.
As I was sitting there I saw these sparkles of light playing on the two hose clips holding the hose on. Amazed, I suspected fairies but then maybe an electrical
issue as there were two sets of wires resting lightly against the hose clips. Remove the wires and they sparkles remained. Static electricity? It was actually a bit creepy.
Well you know what? As I reached forward to grab the hose to pull myself in for a closer look it came off in my hand at the skin fitting. Virtually turned to powder! The sparkling light was the sun reflecting off the water
outside and up through the skin fitting and then through a crack in the hose. I had previously noticed a small amount of salt water
here but didn't twig.
Eventually while motoring this hose would have broken fully off flooding the boat with exhaust
gas and water
. As it's a centre cockpit
, when heeled the exhaust outlet is under water, so even better, we might have collected an enormous amount of water. So beware nice looking hoses. Age gets them all.
I had already replaced all of the other valves, hoses, clips but not this one as it was inaccessible and looked good (and maybe I knew it would cost a lot to replace)