Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2017, 05:21   #16

Boat: Nauticat 52
Re: Beware

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Yet you invited everyone on a public forum to PM you, with the offer that you would share all these details.

Sorry, but I just do not "get" the thinking behind going onto a public forum, offering a very vague (though fairly damning) criticism of a company, and then saying that you will only share the details in a PM.

I'm really not trying to "pile on" here, and I hope you don't feel like that is what I am doing. Nonetheless, if you have details that you would be willing to share in a PM with a complete stranger, then why not just post them here? Once again, the whole point of a forum like this is to share information. Why not share?

The number of people who might PM me does not compare to the number of views by forum browsers. Seriously. What is the big deal?

It appears to me that Cruiser's Forum really has turned into more of a "Critique Forum" wherein trolls can freely criticize the OP in myriad of ways.

So, you don't like that I'd prefer to keep many of the details of this particular experience somewhat candid. Then just move on. I'll try to do a better job of including details for you when/if I post in the future.
Raven Odyssey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 06:03   #17

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Don--

With all due respect, it seems to me that Raven's post was simply meant in the sense of '...I made a dumb mistake, don't do the same...' including the URL of the vendor he/she mistook/misunderstood. FWIW I think the vendor's formatting of the URL is/was intentionally formulated to create the impression of an 'official' website, 6 point--or whatever--script disclaimers not withstanding, and more likely than not, more than one unwitting person has been misled. For the moment, lets give Raven the benefit of the doubt that his/her post was well meaning, eh? Sometimes we're ahead by learning from others mistakes which, in my view, is preferable to making our own.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 06:16   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
Don--

With all due respect, it seems to me that Raven's post was simply meant in the sense of '...I made a dumb mistake, don't do the same...' including the URL of the vendor he/she mistook/misunderstood. FWIW I think the vendor's formatting of the URL is/was intentionally formulated to create the impression of an 'official' website, 6 point--or whatever--script disclaimers not withstanding, and more likely than not, more than one unwitting person has been misled. For the moment, lets give Raven the benefit of the doubt that his/her post was well meaning, eh? Sometimes we're ahead by learning from others mistakes which, in my view, is preferable to making our own.

FWIW...

You are correct in surmising my intent. Thank you for understanding without adding unnecessary criticism.
Old 05-01-2017, 06:19   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
I just look at the URL.

If there is a ".gov" in the URL, you can be sure that it is someone collecting additional fees for doing something you can do yourself directly and cheaper.
Let me correct that for you
Pete7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 06:46   #20

Boat: Irwin 41 cc Ketch
Send a message via Yahoo to fishsail18

Raven, I saw the same site when getting our docs, the fee was just under $500.00 Wifey said no way. We went direct to the GOV. site had about the same forms to fill out, same info but the fees wee only around $115.00, we sent the check but have not heard from them since. so I'm not sure who has our money or when we will see the new docs? it's been a couple months now. I will leave it in God's hands for the mean time.
fishsail18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 06:53   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishsail18 View Post
Raven, I saw the same site when getting our docs, the fee was just under $500.00 Wifey said no way. We went direct to the GOV. site had about the same forms to fill out, same info but the fees wee only around $115.00, we sent the check but have not heard from them since. so I'm not sure who has our money or when we will see the new docs? it's been a couple months now. I will leave it in God's hands for the mean time.

They say otherwise, but you can always call the USCG NVDC and get an update on your particular work packet. You can also get some information regarding processing dates, which in my case was nearing 4 months. I requested a priority handling and the NVDC FedEx'd my COD 48 hours later.
Old 05-01-2017, 09:58   #22

I apologize if my post offended. It was not intended to. It's kind of one of my pet peeves, and like I said, I just don't "get it." But I guess that's my problem, so I will shut up now.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 10:35   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven Odyssey View Post
They say otherwise, but you can always call the USCG NVDC and get an update on your particular work packet. You can also get some information regarding processing dates, which in my case was nearing 4 months. I requested a priority handling and the NVDC FedEx'd my COD 48 hours later.

I know of several people, and I myself participated in getting an expedited certificate for an out of country sailboat. I cannot say enough good things about the documentation service. When it was free they acted (when one called or emailed) like they really cared. Now that it costs ( a small middling charge really) they STILL act like they care. GREAT people, always looking to SOLVE the problem, not make it worse... (in my personal experience, and that of helping 3 other people.......)
h20man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 10:46   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by h20man View Post
I know of several people, and I myself participated in getting an expedited certificate for an out of country sailboat. I cannot say enough good things about the documentation service. When it was free they acted (when one called or emailed) like they really cared. Now that it costs ( a small middling charge really) they STILL act like they care. GREAT people, always looking to SOLVE the problem, not make it worse... (in my personal experience, and that of helping 3 other people.......)

I agree. The USCG NVDC folks are excellent, and are quite responsive. I just wish I hadn't made the mistake of calling the wrong number in the beginning. The mistake, amounted to about $300 in additional documentation fees - which isn't really the primary issue. Profit is not a dirty word. The issue was the dishonesty and misleading practices of the company.

By the way, the NVDC does not yet charge a fee for priority handling of work packets. The only additional charge I incurred was from FedEx for Int'l Priority delivery of my COD - which was entirely expected.
Old 05-01-2017, 10:54   #25

Quote:
I agree. The USCG NVDC folks are excellent, and are quite responsive. I just wish I hadn't made the mistake of calling the wrong number in the beginning. The mistake, amounted to about $300 in additional documentation fees - which isn't really the primary issue. Profit is not a dirty word. The issue was the dishonesty and misleading practices of the company.

By the way, the NVDC does not yet charge a fee for priority handling of work packets. The only additional charge I incurred was from FedEx for Int'l Priority delivery of my COD - which was entirely expected.
and I agree with you that it is not the PRICE GOUGING, nor is it the DISHONESTY, but the total inability to deliver promised services, and the inordinate time wastage that results in. Those incompetent clowns are a waste of space.

But.. to insure that google rankings do not increase for those 'things', I suggest that everyone remember the REAL web site:

USCG National Vessel Documentation Center, Home Page

look on the side menu to see where it says renewal...

It will give you two popups and then take you to a us government site that is designed to take your $.

But system works very well.. or, if you have some special issue, call them, the people are VERY HELPFUL.

You may contact the National Vessel Documentation Center
(NVDC) at 800-799-8362.
h20man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 11:23   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by h20man View Post
and I agree with you that it is not the PRICE GOUGING, nor is it the DISHONESTY, but the total inability to deliver promised services, and the inordinate time wastage that results in. Those incompetent clowns are a waste of space.

But.. to insure that google rankings do not increase for those 'things', I suggest that everyone remember the REAL web site:

USCG National Vessel Documentation Center, Home Page

look on the side menu to see where it says renewal...

It will give you two popups and then take you to a us government site that is designed to take your $.

But system works very well.. or, if you have some special issue, call them, the people are VERY HELPFUL.

You may contact the National Vessel Documentation Center

(NVDC) at 800-799-8362.

Agreed. Thank you.
Old 05-01-2017, 14:33   #27

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Let me correct that for you
True, dat!
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 21:15   #28

Boat: 1975 Morgan OI 41 Ketch

Quote:
You can check processing dates at the uscg website and get the status of your packet on their (uscg) work packet inquiry page.
shotglass is offline   Reply With Quote