Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-07-2013, 14:59   #31

Boat: PETERSON 44
I thought mold needed a organic introduced so it can grow. Seems like if the surface is glass then if its clean and not organic you can't have mold. Maybe I'm missng something
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2013, 15:04   #32

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS
Re: Best Way to Remove Mold in the Cabin

All of you are addressing the killing of the mold. Mold spores are everywhere. They hide in the fabric and fissures of the spaces around you. They float in with the air. Killing them is only one side of the discussion. What makes them keep coming back is that they have access to MOISTURE. Reduce the moisture and they cannot flourish. The calcium chloride knockoffs (Damp Rid, etc.) merely suck water out of the air and collect it in a bowl. We live in an environment that sits in water. You are simply wasting time and money and hope in trying to eliminate moisture with chemicals. It is far simpler and effective to reduce moisture through the circulation of outside air flowing through the boat and the higher humidity inside. Make an active pathway for air circulation using open ports or dorades OF SUFFICIENT CAPACITY to allow passing breezes to sweep through the boat. Use fans to SUCK the air out of the aft end of an anchored boat, or the downwind portion of a docked boat. Make an inlet of fresh, outside air at the windward part of the boat. Move lots of air and you won't need to wash with vinegar, use hygroscopic chemicals to suck up excess moisture, or suffer the irritating odors of Lysol, vinegar, etc. Eliminate the excess moisture and eliminate the mold that grows because water's available.

Sabray, you forget that we shed skin cells, bacteria, hair, that breezes carry dust, that critters too small to see are living and dying around us and their residues are collecting on every available surface. That makes food for the mildew spores, who then need only water, collected from the air, to survive and prosper. Nobody keeps their boat so clean as to be sterile.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2013, 15:19   #33

Roy thanks I was trying to get to that. I. Just suck at writing. I knew someone would write it better then I could. Mold spores are in the air. Treating or cleaning works. But if you don't change the environment then it just happens again. Which is not a big deal most of the time. You just clean again.
Old 27-07-2013, 15:39   #34
o_q

While this thread is about cleaning, and not prevention, I thought it would be worth a mention: H2Out seems like a great product. It uses silica gel, the stuff they put in a box of new shoes.

When it has absorbed all the moisture it can, it changes color. You can then heat it up in a pot on the stove to dry it out. It's reusable.

H2Out | Protect Your Investment
o_q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2013, 16:29   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy M View Post
....................... It is far simpler and effective to reduce moisture through the circulation of outside air flowing through the boat and the higher humidity inside. ...........................
Location, location, location....... as the realtors say. It's important to note that you are speaking as a person aboard in San Diego. When I step outside from my cabin in Florida or other areas in the SE US, my glasses fog up due to the far greater humidity outside. I do actively remove moisture from my interior cabin and outside, here, is always more humid than my cabin below while I'm at the dock. If I'm anchored out, then I'm doing my best at ventilation, but it's far from "San Diego" dry out there!
Old 27-07-2013, 16:39   #36

One point is that you may kill the spore on the non porous surface. If the surface was clean it would not be able to grow. Something is on that non porous surface that is allowing growth. Simple cleaning and ventilation will solve the problem. Until its dirty and there is something that can grow mold back on the surface. This is easy remediation. 10 to one water to bleach mux is a standard used by commercial mold remediation company's. vinegar will leave a residue that may have some effect but it is not as effective. That's what my environmental consultant says.
Old 27-07-2013, 17:21   #37

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Clorox brand "Anti-hongos" is powerful stuff to get rid of bad mold but not good for you so use carefully. Not sure what they call it outside of Latin America.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2013, 08:08   #38

Boat: 2017 Jeanneau 519
1 neat trick I used on my oday was to leave on a 100 watt light bulb in the cabin once I cleaned it washed everything and left the light bulb on it never came back. I got the info from the sailor next to me. I had to run a chord to the boat but we'll worth it.
scuba0_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2013, 08:22   #39
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by o_q View Post
I never got why people don't have the same reaction as I do with vinegar. It's a horrible smell. But if it got the job done, I'd use it begrudgingly, but would finish it off with bleach, assuming this doesn't undo the first step.
I understand. Makes me want to york.

Try some of these formulations with washing soda and borax. The effect is similar to vinegar, though in my testing last longer and is without odor. Also can be used on carpet liners and upholstery. Which one cleans better depends on the nature of the stain, since vinegar is acid and borax is alkaline.

Sail Delmarva: Borax: Stopping Mildew and Rot on the Cheap... and How the EPA Can Make Everything Complicated

It is important to use the recommended strength--no more nor less--and to leave the residue (after vacuuming or wiping excess) to dry as that provides the protection.
Old 18-06-2017, 19:04   #40

Boat: 88 36' Hunter

What is CL?
flblowfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2017, 23:18   #41

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by flblowfish View Post
What is CL?
Clorox Limpiador. It means, "Clorox Cleaner". Must be from somewhere they speak Spanish.

Try the clove oil, I've heard real raves about it. You can get it at a pharmacy, comes in little bottles, but at 1/4 teaspoon to a liter of water, you'll be able to trial it. And it should kill the spores in your "mouse fur".

Ann
Old 20-06-2017, 10:07   #42

Boat: Catalina 30 MKII

Is there an existing threat on ventilation out here already? We're looking for ways to achieve some air "exchange" in our boat, but simple ventilation doesn't seem to be of much use on Lake Ponchartrain in summer (80% humidity is pretty typical).

We don't want to get into running a dehumidifier 24/7 like the PO did, and "Damp Rid" products have so little capacity that I'd need a case every week.

BTW, we've been using the bleach-containing grocery stores sprays and they do a great job.
ValiantV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2017, 10:37   #43

I bought a moldy boat once. A ozone generator worked very well at killing the smell (after I replaced the foam and cushions)

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2017, 15:29   #44

Boat: 88 36' Hunter

Gracias!

Have you heard anything about eucalyptus oil?

Thanks again!
flblowfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2017, 07:50   #45
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i have discovered the fine art of steam cleaning. awesome miraculous and kills all spores eggs and other offensive stuff as well as sparkling the finish. i clean with vinegar full strength after vacuuming, then steam. everything. all finishes and materials are improved with steam except the plastic stuff that melts into awesome artwork. is as good for cleaning as is sunshine. with a sock on the cleaner it provides the best ever dusting, as spores and dust mites are killed dead.
awesome invention.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cabin, mold