Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-02-2016, 10:59   #16

Boat: Hunter 386
Re: Best way to gain experience

Not windy? You should be out there today :-0

Anyway, sailing in 5 knots of wind is a great way to get to learn your boat. you will surprised how fast you will mosey around and you will have lots of time to screw up and correct your errors.

Are you in Sidney or Tsehum?
Old 28-02-2016, 11:04   #17

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RekkaBell View Post
Hey everyone!

I have just purchased my first sailboat! Everything i've learned about sailing so far has been from books, videos online and from talking to other people. I've also had a bit of sailing experience last summer (cruise and learn), i didn't grow up with boats but i decided that this is what i wanted for myself.

I still have a lot more to learn, for now I've just been taking the boat out every few days to practice. I was hoping to volunteer to be part of a crew but I don't know if most people would mind having a total beginner onboard. I have a very limited budget at the moment, classes would be wonderful but they're crazy costly.

Thoughts on that?
Wander about the marina. Someone will take you under their arm. Just insure it is some crotchety old bastard not a blow hard. The experienced guy won't be blowing his own horn.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2016, 12:58   #18

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Rather than trying to get invited on other people's boats, I suggest inviting experienced sailors onto yours. There are tons of young (and young at heart) people with great sailing skills and no boat who would love to spend time with you on your boat, and teach you a thing or two. Sounds like fun! If I were closer (I'm in Ontario) I would definitely go with you, and I'd even bring our lunch!

So post a note at the local club, sailing school, marina, supermarket, kijiji, wherever...and get out there! Another great aspect of sailing...is making new friends!!!

Don't make me come out there...!!!
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2016, 14:10   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uricanejack View Post
I see your location is Sydney. Where do you keep the boat. It can still get pretty windy and wet round here.
Try joining a local club.
If all else fails are you free during the week? for an afternoon.
If you can make it to Ganges, I could take you out.
Uricanejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2016, 15:11   #20

This is getting to be a competition ;-0). I'll be checking into Long Harbour in August. Roll, boys, Roll!

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2016, 15:28   #21

Ooooooooooh! A YAMAHA!

I saw one of those at a boat show years ago, and really liked it.

But I didn't buy one, as I was riding Kawasaki's at the time, so I thought I'd wait for them to make one.

But they didn't.

I am sure you will have great fun with it.
Ribbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2016, 16:54   #22

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by seasick View Post
You're in the perfect location for learning the ropes. Much of what you will need to learn will have little to do with actually sailing. Venture out to the Gulf Islands and Flat Tops as your time allows. Practice anchoring. Find some flotsome and practice approaching it under motor and sail and stopping the boat in such a manner that if it were a person conscious or unconscious, you would have the ability to wrestled them aboard.

Above all else, don't be a wheel hog. It is exceedingly important that your partner is comfortable with steering, docking, starting the engine, sail handling, radio communication etc, etc. the person she may have to go back and pick up out of the water may be you. Can't stress this enough. I sold a 42' ketch to a couple once and their maiden voyage was from Bainbridge Is. to Tacoma. He went over the side and she was clueless about every aspect of disengaging the autopilot, getting it out of gear, etc. He drowned and she couldn't even call for help.

Tippy-toe further and further afield. Get used to doing things the same way time and again. Done with the winch handle? Put it back in its sleeve. It's the little things like this, that you both need to become 2nd nature so that you can do it safely in the dark.

Oh, and I recommend a good wet or dry suit be kept aboard with face mask and fins because it is only a matter of time before a line goes in the prop and you'll be seriously glad you have this gear.

The rest is practice, common sense and learning by your mistakes. As I have told all my sail trainees over the years, "if you have an inkling of a thought that you should do something... Reef, put out another anchor, shift anchorages, pull the dink aboard, etc etc. it's likely past time that it was done. Err on the side of caution... Be safe, smooth sailing.
I agree with 90% of this. Especially that everyone onboard should be both comfortable doing, & well versed at ever job onboard. Particularly, being in command, helming, & handling the boat in close quarters.

But: I do take Exception, to the casual reference to putting someone into the water to clear the prop. Unless you're referring only to when the boat is docked, in a protected harbor, which has few to no currents.

As in any other circumstance, such an undertaking has a lot of contingencies which need to be thought through, weighed over, & planned for, before sending in a diver.
Particularly when, in such a circumstance, there are far, far less options for manuvering the vessel (if any), should the diver get into trouble.
And even with a seasoned skipper & crew, doing so, many times, still has a lot of unknowns, & perils to it.

The other caveat to this is, the whole prop fouling risk is being over hyped. And I've way more than enough sea miles/experience to make such a statement.
So, bringing up the idea is putting the cart before the horse.

One needs to know the risks associated with such evolutions, first. And to learn the various ways of mitigating them, & or removing them entirely. Most of which aren't things those new to sailing need to focus on right away.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2016, 17:13   #23

Boat: Brewer designed Pacific 43 in fiberglass. Center cockpit set up for long-distance single handing.

Thank you Uncivilized for this input. I really didn't mean to suggest that going by the board to free a line from the prop out in open water was a good idea under any circumstances. The novice sailor is more likely to back down on their anchor line or dinghy painter then a more experienced sailor, this usually happens in protected water.

I very nearly died of hypothermia in Alaska when commercial fishing alone. I wound the anchor line around the prop in a protected cove and for want of a wetsuit was left without the strength to climb back up my boarding ladder. It is for this reason that I threw that sentence in. In this case I was saved by another fisherman who by the grace of God happened into the bay as I was about to go down.

Getting A line in the prop it not such a rare occurrence for me. Perhaps it is my I attention at times. I always try a few turns of the prop in the opposite direction that ate it. Failing this I most often use a sharp knife on a pike pole to cut it away. Sometimes going in the drink is the only way to save some very expensive anchor gear or when the skiff is doing a nose stand half submerged. Maybe it's just me, but this happens way too often. Thanks again.
seasick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2016, 18:27   #24

I learned in college in the 70s, they had sailing courses and i took them every semester while there. The cost was far below private sailing classes. Out of that I met all kinds of people and there was no shortage of learning/sailing opportunities. Too many in fact.

Im in Penang, Malaysia these days and havent sailed in years. I plan to buy a boat but want to first re-learn skills, especially in heavier weather.

To my ears the best of this thread is
1) practice going astern
2) try to join a racing crew, and boat delivery crew
3) flyers, bulletin boards and get on the docks and make friends in order to crew for any kind of a sail

That said, i have a lot of difficulty trying to join anyone. Often the attitude is: "do i know you? who would recommend you to come aboard MY boat? can you prove your experience? are you going to kill or rob me or steal the boat once we are underway?" So there is (justifiable) mistrust in gaining anything and it will just take time. In old times the Indonesians are believed to have invented piracy and in fact taught the same to the Portuguese in these waters and the fear/threat remains real. To offer to be crew is easier said than done.
CharlesV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2016, 19:14   #25

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

To the OP, my apoligies for the Thread Drift. It seemed a matter of safety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seasick View Post
Thank you Uncivilized for this input. I really didn't mean to suggest that going by the board to free a line from the prop out in open water was a good idea under any circumstances. The novice sailor is more likely to back down on their anchor line or dinghy painter then a more experienced sailor, this usually happens in protected water.
Even in "sheltered waters", there can be significant currents. And only someone in shape, posessing of a cool head, will figure out that they're in one & what to do, in time to save themselves.
As in "only" a 2kt current, such as in a harbor. You're a long way from the boat -> Quick. Like, in seconds.

I very nearly died of hypothermia in Alaska when commercial fishing alone. I wound the anchor line around the prop in a protected cove and for want of a wetsuit was left without the strength to climb back up my boarding ladder. It is for this reason that I threw that sentence in. In this case I was saved by another fisherman who by the grace of God happened into the bay as I was about to go down.

Getting A line in the prop it not such a rare occurrence for me. Perhaps it is my I attention at times. I always try a few turns of the prop in the opposite direction that ate it. Failing this I most often use a sharp knife on a pike pole to cut it away. Sometimes going in the drink is the only way to save some very expensive anchor gear or when the skiff is doing a nose stand half submerged. Maybe it's just me, but this happens way too often. Thanks again.
I commented on it, as it IS dangerous to do so. As you're fortunate to have lived to tell your tale of such. Thankfully!
The other reasoning for my comments are based on my experience, & that of Many, Many, other Professional Mariner's whom I know. Most of whom, too, have some rather harrowing tales of losing or almost losing, divers/swimmers.

Plus, in 4+ decades of going to sea, much of that professionally, I can't say that I've ever fouled a prop. Even when spending stupid amounts of time on the water in New England. Where the fog is so thick you can't see your own bow, & the crab/lobster pots outnumber mosquitos in Minnesota on a Summer night.

The big thing in avoiding it, has been training. Of what; to do, & not to do, in situations, X, y, & Z. Plus how to rig various pieces of gear, so as to avoid prop snags.
Though, yeah, it certainly can still happen. And does.

Plan A, for a; New (or veteran) boat owner would be to fit their prop/shaft, with a good, built-in, like cutter. That, & to have a radar which is good enough to pick up the floats on crab pots... sea conditions permitting. Along with the knowledge of how to tune said unit so that it ooes so.

And yep, I own both wetsuits, & a drysuit. Along with dive gear. But the drysuit goes with me on most all trips (for a multiplicity of reasons). Primarily to keep my a$$ warm when Neptune decides to throw a fit. And 2ndarily, as an ad hoc survival suit (AKA, again, to keep my heiney warm).

PS: My apoligies if I'm a bit short. It's about time for me to call it a day

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2016, 21:55   #26

Location: Full time RV traveler presently (temporarily) in Mesa AZ
Boat: Cal 39
Thumbs up Re: Best way to gain experience

I agree with the others that suggest that racing will teach you about all aspects of sailing much faster than gunkholing. I'll go further though.
Racing as crew you learn a lot. But to learn YOUR boat well race YOUR boat. Find some "laid back" local club races. Borrow an experienced skipper to crew for you and to teach you (and maybe take the helm in scary situations).
The advantahes of racing - even if you're really not interested in being a competitor, are many. Just a few:
1. You CAN'T use the motor and must do everything under sail
2. You have ample opportunity to observe experienced skippers
3. You will learn to handle YOUR boat in situations you might otherwise avoid, like crowded start lines and mark rounding
4. The "shooting the ----" at the bar after the race will get you pointers of what mistakes you made AND congratulations for things you did right
5. Having to SAIL to the next mark even when it is directly to winward

Most "cruisers" (not real ocean passage cruisers, but just guys that motor-sail around the bay) never get the experience that will, for instance, allow them to sail into their berth or to the dock when their motor failed. Notice I said "when" their motor failed, not "if" - because you WILL have that occurrence eventually.

You will become a safer cruiser if you have experience racing. You don't have to be a died-in-the-wool competitor.

And when I had inexperienced crew on my boat I always told them that when I speak loudly it is NOT yelling in anger, it is that I want to be heard the first time so I don't have to repeat, and that "PLEASE" and "THANK YOU" are to be understood even if I forget to so state.

But go racing and LEARN.
secrabtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2016, 00:52   #27

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

There is a saying,

"Racing teaches you sailmanship, cruising teachers you seamanship"

My input, just get out there and learn by doing. Be conservative as you learn.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2016, 02:25   #28

Boat: Bénéteau First 25.7

Join a sailing club, or a sailing association ! Plenty to learn, and if you get involved with the club's boats, start boat for races, safety boats, helping with fitting out, you will discover lots and lots of good friends, and gain invaluable experience.

Good sailing, Guy <<Former insurance broker for Lloyd's of London.>>
Delafontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2016, 17:02   #29

Boat: Niagara 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
I agree with 90% of this. Especially that everyone onboard should be both comfortable doing, & well versed at ever job onboard. Particularly, being in command, helming, & handling the boat in close quarters.

But: I do take Exception, to the casual reference to putting someone into the water to clear the prop. Unless you're referring only to when the boat is docked, in a protected harbor, which has few to no currents.

As in any other circumstance, such an undertaking has a lot of contingencies which need to be thought through, weighed over, & planned for, before sending in a diver.
Particularly when, in such a circumstance, there are far, far less options for manuvering the vessel (if any), should the diver get into trouble.
And even with a seasoned skipper & crew, doing so, many times, still has a lot of unknowns, & perils to it.

The other caveat to this is, the whole prop fouling risk is being over hyped. And I've way more than enough sea miles/experience to make such a statement.
So, bringing up the idea is putting the cart before the horse.

One needs to know the risks associated with such evolutions, first. And to learn the various ways of mitigating them, & or removing them entirely. Most of which aren't things those new to sailing need to focus on right away.
I've had to go into the water enough times. Usually due to a loose zinc or some such, though. And I strongly prefer to do it at anchor and not in a marina. Marina water is yucky!
Old 29-02-2016, 17:10   #30

Boat: Niagara 35

Sidney is a fantastic place to learn to sail. And now is the time when you can find wind! It'll largely shut off in the summer, so get some decent weather gear">foul weather gear and get out there! The anchorages are largely deserted in the winter, too.

If you want to try some racing and see if you like it, there are some great clubs in Victoria that are very welcoming (Royal Victoria Yacht Club and Turkey Head). I've raced with both and they're great people. I haven't raced with the Sidney folks, but I often see them go by and they seem to have a good fleet.

I have mixed feelings about racing. It was great for me. I think you need to have at least a beginner's course before you crew (which you do), and it isn't for everyone. It will teach you to sail, but will leave out a lot of seamanship skills. Luckily, you have your own boat to fill in the gaps.

Here's a quick article about how to get on a crew.

Tags
enc