Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-11-2010, 08:19   #1

Boat: Catalina 22 / ... wants a Cat'
Best Used Cats - Opinions ? Suggestions ?

Didn't see another related thread; so, hope this isn't redundant .....

I'm interested in some experienced feedback on what (used) catamaran models would be best suited for coastal cruising from South Padre Island, TX round to Virgin Islands. And, some suggestions on water and fuel tank sizes / capacities for 4-6 persons. ($200k-ish, or less...)

THANKS!
troyfrazier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2010, 08:41   #2
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
My tanks are only 20gl each. So I carry another 80 in cans. I would think that about 80 gls would be good. We also carry 120gls of water, and with a watermaker it is a huge surplus. We have 2 heads, and one shower. We find this to be plenty even when we have 6 aboard. A head per cabin is wasted space imo, unless you are chartering.

Do you want a sailor, or a condo will be a choice for you to make. For some accommodations are more important than sailing abilities. You will have all kinds of choices to make. Don't be afraid to look at cold molded boats that are one off. Get Chris White's book on multis, and anything else you can find. research, research, and more research is what you need......i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2010, 09:44   #3

Boat: Maine Cat 41
Troy,

Have you searched over in the Multihulls section of CF? FWIW, I am not completely sure I would term your described range as strictly "coastal cruising".

What is your thinking in terms of how long you plan to be on the boat, anchoring vs. marina hopping and safety/navigation items/creature comforts that you would like to have on-board?

Fair Winds,
Mike
YOGAO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2010, 03:51   #4

Boat: Catalina 22 / ... wants a Cat'
Thanks!

Thanks for the feedback. and "true" (to Mike); being a sailboat 'newbie' and not wanting to buy a second home in any particular place to be by the water, when I could cruiser and be WHERE EVER I WANT TO BE, I would much rather have the boat = cruisier / part-time live aboard solution. But not having much experience, I'm assuming that I would be cruising not TOO far from land and probably mooring or stopping to take in the sites along the way: i.e. the SPI, TX to Virgin Islands "coastal" comment (albeit, there are some potential bluewater stretches along the way) ;o)

to "Imagine": so are you saying you'd prefer a hypothetical 100g fuel tank vs. the cans?
troyfrazier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2010, 07:30   #5
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Yes I would. Hauling cans around the deck is a pain in the butt. Getting them out of the storage in front of the house, and topping off while under way is a pain too. Everything is a compromise on boats.......i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2010, 09:06   #6
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
I agree it is nice to have large tankage as long as you have a boat big enough to handle it. We just got back from the fuel dock adding 80 gallons of water to our Seawind 1000 xl and man could we feel the extra weight. Maybe time for a watermaker? But honestly probably the best boat for you would be the Solaris Sunstar 36 we have for sale in Galveston
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2010, 09:19   #7
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36
smj, I thought you would have sold it by now? Btw, it does not come up in the tag that I can see.

Ralph
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2010, 13:40   #8
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTB View Post
smj, I thought you would have sold it by now? Btw, it does not come up in the tag that I can see.

Ralph
We thought she would have sold by now but Texas is a rough market for multihulls. Excuse my ignorance but could you please explain what a tag is. Not very computer savvy. Thanks.
Old 26-11-2010, 13:57   #9
RTB

smj, I know as little as you about computer stuff, but think that in your post, where you say "for sale", (see that it's blue) is a tag? Anyway, I thought it would be a link to your ad but it isn't. Click on the blue highlighted "for sale"...

I have looked at your cat in various ads. She is sweet! If I had the boat bucks for it, I'd be knocking on your door. Unfortunately, not all Texans are as smart as me! Also, I have been less than impressed with brokers in the area. Do you have it listed currently?

Ralph
Old 26-11-2010, 14:43   #10
smj

Ralph, I'm not a big fan of using brokers but after having her for sale by owner with us in Fl. And the boat in Tx. We put her with two brokers. HSH in Kemah and The Multihull Company in Ft. Lauderdale. Thanks for the info on tags, I hope the " for sale by owner" doesn't tag on this post!
Old 26-11-2010, 17:57   #11

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by troyfrazier View Post
Didn't see another related thread; so, hope this isn't redundant .....

I'm interested in some experienced feedback on what (used) catamaran models would be best suited for coastal cruising from South Padre Island, TX round to Virgin Islands. And, some suggestions on water and fuel tank sizes / capacities for 4-6 persons. ($200k-ish, or less...)

THANKS!

Mine!

But not for six.

Only a friendly 4.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2010, 18:46   #12
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
Mine!

But not for six.

Only a friendly 4.
Hey Therapy, I don't think there's enough room on this forum for both of us to be putting cheesy boat ads on this thread..........so I'll leave
Old 26-11-2010, 18:54   #13
RTB

Since I'm in the neighborhood, I'll keep my ears open for you smj. Like I said, I figured she was sold. There are brokerage docks by me, so people wandering by looking all the time.

Ralph
Old 26-11-2010, 19:35   #14
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTB View Post
Since I'm in the neighborhood, I'll keep my ears open for you smj. Like I said, I figured she was sold. There are brokerage docks by me, so people wandering by looking all the time.

Ralph
Thanks Ralph, I appreciate it.

AJ