Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-07-2018, 04:48   #31

Boat: Hunter 380
Re: Best US boat show?

Howdy Neighbor,

Before we bought Sommer Wind we made a vacation of the Annapolis show and loved it. We actually got lucky and were able to get a room at the Marriott on the dock. You will definitely see your dream boat but more than that, there is a ton of information to be had. Contact a couple vendors about going out on one of their boats. Plan to enjoy the Chesapeake area as 2 days of boat show pretty much does it.
Dallasron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 18:02   #32

Re: Best US boat show?

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Trusty View Post
I'm not experienced as some on this forum with being an exhibitor etc., but I've been to a few shows including Annapolis and Miami. Both of these are head-and-shoulders above the regional shows, particularly if looking at sailboats. Even then, they do not always get all of the brands (particularly of note is Catalina, which I guess is sick of selling yachts?). You should check the websites, where they post their committed vendors months in advance. You sound like you've planned out this purchase in advance (great), so you'll be less likely to be taken in by some slick sales talk by charter companies telling you to sign-on-the-line and they'll pay you for the honor of owning a boat.

The two major shows are much like their towns - Miami is big and glitzy, Annapolis is like a small town. Both have 'preview' days on the first day (usually Thursday) which I really liked. The tickets are about $20 higher for first-day, but this is nothing compared to your other travel costs, and the crowds are much less. You don't wait in as many lines to get on-board the popular boats, and the sales people are still friendly. Like any major event, go in with a plan for stuff you must see, nice-to-see, and a couple hours of wandering around the booths.
Considering doing the Annapolis boat show in October this year. Recommendations on things to do and things to avoid?
ScouseBubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, boat show