Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2017, 08:19   #16

Boat: 1989 Morgan-44CP
Re: Best town for sailors between Savannah, GA, and Georgia, FL

Keep in mind the difference between a Yankee and a Damn Yankee, and down South they don't care how you did it up North. It you liked that so well you should have stay up North.

Semi-local in NC/SC,

jewt
jewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 08:28   #17

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

jsw -
Of the places mentioned, I can heartily recommend St. Simons Island. I've also lived there for an extended period, it's gotten crowded and more expensive of course, but it's a comfortable scenic area, and relatively sophisticated. With some delightful restaurants lol.
St. Simons Sound is right there for day sails and easy access to the Atlantic.
Old 12-02-2017, 08:30   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Best town for sailors between Savannah, GA, and Georgia, FL

Interesting I'm not blocked
Google Ludowicci Ga. speed trap, spelling is close enough I'm sure.
It got so bad the Gov of Georgia paid for large billboard signs warning travelers that Ludowicci was a trap.
But it is a Deep South area and as long as your OK with and respect that you will find its fine and 99% of the people are very kind and generous. However, we really, really do not care how it's done in New Jersey.

Years ago when J was still in the Army I came through Alabama and had my Air Cav Stetson on the back shelf of my car. I had a couple of Rednecks eyeballing it hard and one asked why I had it. I told them I was in the Air Cav as an attack pilot. They got over it, but we're still real suspicious of me.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 08:33   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I all honesty, if you are from NY, or at least NY City, you will not enjoy the Low Country.
Completely different world. I for instance cannot stand NY City, although I am certain there are areas in NY State I would enjoy immensely.
Now this was long ago, when most of us were children,but worth reading
http://www.atlantatimemachine.com/misc/ludowici.htm

Then honestly watch this movie, it's not really that bad, but it isn't far off the mark, really
My Cousin Vinny (1992) - Plot Summary - IMDb
Ah, yes. Ludowici. That might be where the speed trap was invented. The town is located on highway 301 which was the only north/south highway back in the olden days before interstates. Anyone from the east coast headed to Florida on vacation would pass through Ludowici.

I was born in Statesboro, about 60 miles north on 301 and growing up everyone knew about Ludowici. You didn't have to be from out of state, they were happy to write tickets to anyone passing through, even locals. Got pulled over there once myself and might be the only person in history that was pulled over and didn't get a ticket.

And yes, My Cousin Vinny does have some elements of truth to what it's like in a small town in the south but of course, it is a Hollywood movie and folks out there can't resist gross exaggeration of anything and everything.

SE GA is definitely another universe compared to NYC. Coming from the city to the GA coast, if you've never been there, will incur some culture shock. I do confess I enjoy visiting NYC. Lots of great restaurants, museums and fun stuff to do but I am always happy to get back to the country.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 08:37   #20

Boat: Catalina 42 MKII Pullman

Well.

We bought a sailboat in St Simon's. Brought it back to Savannah. There are only 3 real marinas that will cater to liveaboards.

Thunderbolt Morningstar bahia bleu
Sail Harbor
Isle of hope
Bull River (2nd closest)

We chose isle of hope. It is more expensive but worth it for its quaint town shopping close. Amenities are ok . We are about 1 1/2 hours out from open water to Wassaw sound. 3 hours to the 3 mile mark. Great sailing out the Wilmington river to Wassaw.

There are more marinas.

Delegal (closest to open]
Hinckley
Savannah yacht club
Hogan's marina
Savannah bend
Coffee bluff
Youngs marina

Some of those are not suitable for larger boats. We have enjoyed our stay pretty good choice of suppliers and workers are the typical boating companies. They are not the fastest for repairs.

We try to go out every other weekend. Working full time as well as liveaboards. Plenty of areas to travel. Islands to anchor around. We traveled to St Mary's for thanksgiving! Took a week and be bopper down an back. Your only 5 hours to Hilton Head. Plenty to enjoy.

Good luck. We are tied up for another 2 years and will be heading south.
98blackbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 08:37   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

My Cousin Vinny was filmed in Eatonton Ga. It is a real town pretty much central Ga.
From my perspective the movie was really pretty darn close to reality. Yes it made fun of the South, but most of that is real
Old 12-02-2017, 08:43   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswensen View Post
The link to the Atlantatimemachine blocks access. Have watched My Cousin Vinny but Tom hasn't so it's in our cue. Thanks!
Not sure why your question has attracted so much negative comment about the hospitality (or lack of it) in SE GA but don't believe it. The people are friendly and helpful, even if you do talk funny.
Old 12-02-2017, 08:44   #23
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

One big, happy, family here at Brunswick Landing Marina: A liveaboard's paradise in Georgia. Plenty of Yankees, Aussies, Swedish, Danish, Texans, and more. Free beer on tap 7 days a week, with Happy Hours every Mon, Wed, and Friday. Free laundry, loaner bikes, wifi, grills on every dock. Known as a "hurricane hole", and proved it this year! Come on down. Heading over to https://www.everfest.com/e/whiskey-w...kyll-island-ga in a few minutes. Always something going on here.

Ralph
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 08:57   #24

Boat: Nordhavn 46, 46'

Cast your net wider. IF restaurants are important, try Charleston and the surrounding region. Many superb restaurants. Within a 30 minute drive is kinda limiting, but try the marina on the Stono River (Buzzard's Roost) or the marina at the old navy yard on the Cooper. Georgetown, 45 minutes north, is much cheaper. Heading south are Beaufort (that's the one pronounced "Bufort") and Savannah.
Moody46CC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 09:00   #25

Boat: ODAY 28

I think the best way for you is do a road trip to several areas on your list, spend some time and check out what things that would be important to you and your sailing.
boeing1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 09:02   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moody46CC View Post
Cast your net wider. IF restaurants are important, try Charleston and the surrounding region. Many superb restaurants. Within a 30 minute drive is kinda limiting, but try the marina on the Stono River (Buzzard's Roost) or the marina at the old navy yard on the Cooper. Georgetown, 45 minutes north, is much cheaper. Heading south are Beaufort (that's the one pronounced "Bufort") and Savannah.
When I brought my boat south a few years ago Charleston was one of my favorite stops.
Old 12-02-2017, 09:04   #27

Going to move South and want to daysail: Sarasota would definitely be my choice having lived in 3 of the areas over 15 years.
Scaramanga F25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 09:11   #28

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoleo View Post
I was stopped for speeding 37mph in a 30mph zone (in Darien) and a dirty License Plate My "Bond" was $675 cash or Jail. (no refunds) . Fine was $320+$135=$475. I saw a Lawyer and he said they just prey on all outsiders as a way of life. He also said its revenge for being in a poor area and the previous Sherrif was much worse than the current one! Good Luck there -worst place Ive ever been world wide.
I have not read the entire thread, so don't know if this has been addressed (there were several references to speed traps in GA early on), but...

The law in GA holds that other than by direct tail (which has its own stipulations, I'm sure, though I don't know it), to prevent such shenanigans, other than state police may not (successfully) prosecute a radar stop at under 10 miles per hour over the posted limit. If you're one to rush, you might look up the statute and have a copy ready to hand the arresting officer as you wish him or her a good day...

As to bugs, I can highly recommend St. Marys at the town area; we spent a summer there and there wasn't the FIRST bug, despite being surrounded by marshes, due to the flocks of barn swallows and bats prolific there, each eating their weight in mossies and other biters daily. It was plenty hot, but no bites, and distinctly cruiser friendly, home of the annual Thanksgiving bash sponsored by the locals and the hotel (which is also the 2012 SSCA Cruising Station of the Year)'s owners Gayla and Jerry (who is also a past mayor of St. Marys GA).

We've never used the yard there, but have several cruising buddies who have/do, and have heard nothing other than praise for it.

YMMV

L8R

Skip
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 09:13   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Not sure why your question has attracted so much negative comment about the hospitality (or lack of it) in SE GA but don't believe it. The people are friendly and helpful, even if you do talk funny.

I don't mean for it to be negative, but if night life, nice places to eat and maybe visiting museums etc is your thing and being around fellow New Yorkers, you will not enjoy the Low Country.
Now if you wanna go Gator or Hog hunting, it might be paradise
Old 12-02-2017, 09:14   #30

Boat: Carver,Cobia,Nacra, Columbia

Jackie,
You couldnt pick a worst location to try and sail a monohull. South GA and North FL have very high tides, 5' min and up to 8' during certain moon cycles. Very much like Maine, however unlike Maine where you have deep water, this region has very shallow water and mud banks along the ICW and inlets. The only sailing you can accomplish in this area is outside in the Atlantic, which can be a 3-4 hour trip one way depending upon currents and weather.

I would suggest you go further south to Cocoa, or Melbourne or Biscayne Bay (Miami) where you can sail the Atlantic coast or protected deep water in the bays and ICW. Another good location for sailors in Florida is Tampa Bay - or the panhandle near Panama City or Pensacola.

But dont take my opinion, or any one elses - instead move down and rent in each area for 6 months to determine which part of the south suits you best.
flyingfin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
georgia, sail