Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-04-2015, 06:32   #1

Boat: Bristol 27
Best Smelling Head Tank Treatment

I used that crappy smelling Blue stuff from West Marine last year, and it didn't smell that great.

Any recommendations besides a new Composting Head?
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2015, 06:39   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Best Smelling Head Tank Treatment

The orange stuff has been working well for me, I used it in an RV before with good results.
I believe the "blue" stuff is largely formaldehyde with the theory being sterilize everything to prevent smell, where the orange stuff doesn't kill the bacteria.
I may be wrong though, this is what I use Amazon.com: Camco 41189 TST Orange Drop-Ins Holding Tank Treatment - 15 pack: Automotive

There are many sources of head smell, perhaps you should look into permeated hoses etc as maybe those could be an issue, first thing is to find the source of the smell, is it the tank, hoses, or the head itself, possibly the vent? There is a book dealing with this exact subject
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2015, 06:46   #3

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
The orange stuff has been working well for me, I used it in an RV before with good results.
I believe the "blue" stuff is largely formaldehyde with the theory being sterilize everything to prevent smell, where the orange stuff doesn't kill the bacteria.
I may be wrong though, this is what I use Amazon.com: Camco 41189 TST Orange Drop-Ins Holding Tank Treatment - 15 pack: Automotive

There are many sources of head smell, perhaps you should look into permeated hoses etc as maybe those could be an issue, first thing is to find the source of the smell, is it the tank, hoses, or the head itself, possibly the vent? There is a book dealing with this exact subject
Thanks!

It must be my tank because I don't have it pumped. I remove the whole thing and take it to the boatyard and pour it into the government provided disposal unit.

Mine is like a portapotty looking thing with a 3-5 gallon holding tank at the bottom but it is hooked up the Y valve system.

It's a Thetford Marine Aquamate.

Thetford Aquamate 365 MSD Marine Head
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2015, 06:50   #4

Boat: Sunbeam, 37, Ziamar

Yep, by Peggy Hall Get Rid of Boat Odors: A Boat Owner's Guide to Marine Sanitation Systems and Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor: Peggie Hall: 9781892399151: Amazon.com: Books

She has a lot of great suggestions and I think still does some web posting. Search for her name on this forum and you'll find a lot of help.

Bill
Old 14-04-2015, 08:44   #5

Composting toilet and you don't need treatments.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2015, 08:59   #6

Odorlos

Head Odors 101 http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,5755.0.html

Head Odors 101.1 - "T" into sink drain: http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,5....html#msg38216

Head Leaks and Vented Loops 101.1.a http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,5865.0.html

Head Odors 101.2 The Difference between KO & Odorlos (scroll up to Reply #2) http://forums.catalina.sailboatowner...hlight=odorlos

Head Odors 101.3 Flix of New Vent http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,8....html#msg57288

Head Hoses 101 http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,5738.0.html

Head Pumps 101 Why just pouring water into the bowl is NOT a good idea http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,5865.msg40604.html#msg40604
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2015, 12:26   #7

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

I've had good luck over the years with KO (Peggie's liquid product).

More recently, folks in our owners club have been raving about Zaal Noflex Digester, which is granulated.

Practical Sailor did a review of various products, I think a few years ago now.

-Chris
Old 14-04-2015, 12:51   #8

Boat: Stevens 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
I've had good luck over the years with KO (Peggie's liquid product).

More recently, folks in our owners club have been raving about Zaal Noflex Digester, which is granulated.

Practical Sailor did a review of various products, I think a few years ago now.

-Chris
Hey Chris:

Do you have a web site for the owner's club you referred to, I'd like to read the comments about this product.

Thanks!

gunk
gunkylump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2015, 14:12   #9

Well, it's a paid-membership site... but you'd probably be welcome to join. PM me if you'd like to proceed.

OTOH, if you just do a net search on the Noflex stuff, there are other (I think open) sites that seem to have similar results. I think the SeaRay site is one of those.

I can say my own results have been favorable, but I'm not seeing the magic some folks have claimed. OTOH, we've never really had any head odor problems anyway (perhaps because of the KO treatments)... so that kinda makes me wonder what kind of situations some of those folks have been dealing with.

-Chris
Old 14-04-2015, 14:23   #10

Boat: Corbin 39
Thumbs up Re: Best Smelling Head Tank Treatment

I used Odorlos after reading practical sailor and I give it a thumb up. I have a sealand bowl that sits on top of a 9 gal tank. Maker sure you have a good vent to the outside.
toddedger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2015, 14:42   #11

+1 Odorloss. No smell (neither formaldehyde or perfume).

KO is good but it has a little smell (which is fairly pleasant).

When I am leaving the boat for more than a week, I add a shot of KO for "belts and suspenders" with the Odorloss in the tank.

Also, if you flush with salt water, when I leave the boat I follow Peggy's suggestion to flush with fresh water from the shower and pump enough to leave the the hoses full of fresh, clean water. I add a cap full of KO to the last flush to keep the water in the bowl from growing anything.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2015, 15:07   #12
Marine Service Provider

I'm a big fan of Odorlos Odorlos Holding Tank Treatment Archives - Valterra.com | Valterra.com

It's available from RV supply stores for a LOT less than marine store prices.

Fwiw, the holding tank, unless it's leaking, is rarely if ever the source of odor INSIDE a boat...'cuz odor from inside the tank has only one place to go--out the tank vent. If you have odor out the vent, you don't want the "best smelling" tank product, you want one that has no odor at all. If you have odor inside the boat, nothing you put in the tank will help...the odor is from another source...permeated sanitation hoses are the most common culprit (new hoses are the ONLY cure for that), followed by a wet dirty bilge that needs more cleaning than just dumping in more bilge cleaner and calling it done. It's helpful to know that odors are always strongest at their source, so start lifting hatches and sniffing when you first come aboard BEFORE the boat has a chance to air out.
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2015, 15:13   #13

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"

For the Porta Potti, I use the Camco Orange, but in liquid form. I am not sure my porta potti has enough in it to make the drop ins dissolve well. I don't know what else it does, but the orange oil makes it float on top so that it forms a kind of seal over the waste.
Greenhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2015, 04:01   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by peghall View Post
If you have odor inside the boat, nothing you put in the tank will help...the odor is from another source...permeated sanitation hoses are the most common culprit (new hoses are the ONLY cure for that), followed by a wet dirty bilge that needs more cleaning than just dumping in more bilge cleaner and calling it done. It's helpful to know that odors are always strongest at their source, so start lifting hatches and sniffing when you first come aboard BEFORE the boat has a chance to air out.

Yeah, seems like most boat odor is actually NOT anything to do with the head, tank, or hoses. Folks just seem to light on that as the most obvious culprit, but our club members identified something like 32 different sources of odor... shower sumps, dirty bilges, sink traps, etc...

-Chris
Old 15-04-2015, 04:13   #15

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

We love "digest it" used it in our last boat and. The enzymes or bugs. actually cleaned the inside of the tank and hoses and it smelled like nothing in a few days.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head, men