Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 15-04-2015, 05:21   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Best Smelling Head Tank Treatment

Peggy,
Money be darned, what is the best sanitation hose? I assume some are better than others, and while I am frugal, if I'm going to do the work myself, I want the best hose as I want it to last.
I only flush with fresh water if that makes a difference. My current hoses are 13 yrs old and I do have some odor in the locker where the tank is, I have to assume it's from the hoses as I can find no leaks, besides I figure at 13, they have earned retirement.

Old 15-04-2015, 05:27   #17
cruiser

Boat: Camano Troll

Odorloss for me. Get it at an RV store for less than West Marine. Follow the directions and don't add bleach or anything else that could kill the Odorloss.

Old 15-04-2015, 06:43   #18
Don't ask if you can't handle it

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Peggy,
Money be darned, what is the best sanitation hose? I assume some are better than others, and while I am frugal, if I'm going to do the work myself, I want the best hose as I want it to last.
I only flush with fresh water if that makes a difference. My current hoses are 13 yrs old and I do have some odor in the locker where the tank is, I have to assume it's from the hoses as I can find no leaks, besides I figure at 13, they have earned retirement.
Probably no fairly common question that hasn't been asked before:

Best Head Hose

When head hose goes bad they go REAL BAD fast (chased me off the boat with burning eyes). I used the 101 hoses last year and to do all lines on two heads it was over $600 just for the hoses.

Odor in a locker would make me check connections before thinking the hoses were bad.
Old 15-04-2015, 08:29   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Been asked many, many times of course, a little search turned up dozens of threads with ABS and PVC pipe, wet exhaust hose etc being recommended.
But even though I read through a few, I didn't see Peggy weigh in, I'm sure she did and I just missed it, and I wanted her opinion.
Not to say I don't value others, I do, just she is sort of a subject matter expert.
Old 21-07-2015, 18:25   #20

If the plastic hose or plastic tank has any buildup of waste the odors will permeate .Waste contains a lot of oils and fats that just lock on and migrate thru plastic carrying the smells no problem.
The trick is keeping the hose and tank walls clean if you use plastic.
Or replacing every couple of years.
What are called sewage hoses are just very dense plastic hoses that slow the migration of smells

Other choice is metal (copper, iron, titanium) or fiberglass piping like you see on engine exhausts.

I imagine multi layered chemical resistant transfer hose may work but that would be a project in its own.

Cheapest is to keep everything clean inside
Old 25-07-2015, 05:55   #21

Boat: 1974 Bristol 27

I remove the small holding tank whenever it needs to be emptied. I clean it at this time.

My problems were corrected by the advice received in earlier posts. My boat had a "Y" valve and hand pump with lots of connections.

I cut all this out and capped it off. The vent is still hooked up.

I bought two the products mentioned earlier. I dropped in one of the orange packets with the clean water I added at the start of the season.

The head has been used a couple times and hasn't been emptied/pumped out since which was maybe a month or more ago, and there is zero problem with bad smells.

Thanks all.
Old 25-07-2015, 06:31   #22
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

odorlos -- the ONLY thing that works, i found, tried everything from 1990=current--nada w orks but odorlos. good stuff. enzymes.
hoses--white sani hose lasts best. pricey for a reason.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2015, 07:38   #23
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Been asked many, many times of course, a little search turned up dozens of threads with ABS and PVC pipe, wet exhaust hose etc being recommended.
But even though I read through a few, I didn't see Peggy weigh in, I'm sure she did and I just missed it, and I wanted her opinion.
Not to say I don't value others, I do, just she is sort of a subject matter expert.
She has posted that Trident 101/102 is her favorite. Search Peggy + Trident. I've done some long-term testing and agree she is right, though there are some other good hoses too.

Writing full-time since 2014.
Bookstore:http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/20...ook-store.html
thinwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2015, 10:17   #24
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

After reading this thread I decided to bring Noflex Digester into my store. I've sold about two dozen bottles in the last month. Yesterday one of my regular customers came up to me and started telling me how well it had cleaned his tank and hoses. Might be something to this stuff. Noflex Digester Sewage Treatment
Old 29-08-2015, 11:57   #25

Boat: 42' Sportfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
After reading this thread I decided to bring Noflex Digester into my store. I've sold about two dozen bottles in the last month. Yesterday one of my regular customers came up to me and started telling me how well it had cleaned his tank and hoses. Might be something to this stuff. Noflex Digester Sewage Treatment

I've been using it, this is our second season. Not seeing any magic, but it seems to work as well as KO -- which is what we used for the 15 or so years before.

Hard to get ground truth from anecdotal reports; few have confirmed that they actually opened up hoses and tank and stared inside to gauge results. And it's difficult to get points for direct comparison; skipper used nothing for years and now uses Noflex, all good... but skipper could maybe have gotten the same results with any of several other products. And so forth.

And I'm often amused at how many people automatically think every odor they discover must be about the head!

Some have spoken about stuck holding tank sensors magically coming back to life; ours has not. I don't consider that a criticism of Noflex; maybe we've just gotten our money's worth out of that sensor. Ordered a new one yesterday, so when it arrives I'll get better eyeballs-on info about the sensor and the inside of the tank... so in the meantime, my verdict is still in the "wait and see -- but hopeful" camp.

Wish shipping wasn't such a big hit...

-Chris
Old 29-08-2015, 12:54   #26

Boat: Baba 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
I used that crappy smelling Blue stuff from West Marine last year, and it didn't smell that great.

Any recommendations besides a new Composting Head?
Yeast and TWO vents to allow the tank to breathe. Anything else is, at best, perfume and, at worst, kill off all the helpful bacteria. Either will make it smell far, far worse.

Oh, and you may want to read a rather groovy book about getting rid of head odors. "Get Rid of Boat Odors" by Peggy Hall
Old 04-10-2015, 12:43   #27

Boat: Ocean Alexander tri cabin 52'

I found most head odors come from water supply to bowl, not tank. The inl8de feed becomes a petri dish for foul smelling growth. You can purchase biocide feed hose. I used platinum pipe to build a manifold with a screw on access cap in which I insert chlorine tablets. Works great. You can also look at an Electra Scan unit that treats sewage for pumping overboard. No tank needed. $1,200

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 04-10-2015, 12:45   #28

Boat: Ocean Alexander tri cabin 52'

Correction, plastic, not platinum pipe.

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Tags
head, men

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: