Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-03-2011, 23:56   #1

pirate Best Sleep Possible?

Hey all, how goes it?

Well I have one curiosity about living and spending a lot of time on a cruiser. It's about getting used to sleeping on a vessel and what's the best way to do it? I know "at night" would be an obvious answer, (Or all day for some ), but I'm really wondering if sleeping in a hammock might not be such a bad idea? The only problems I can think of is the possibility of compromising the integrity of your hull or possibly bumping into the walls with every lurch.

To me, sleeping in a hammock would definitely be a possibility, it sounds like the same principle found in maritime stove designs.

Has anyone ever done it? What's the best ways you have found to settle into sleeping on your vessel? I'm curious about getting used to it after living on land your whole life; Also how do old salts ensure that they always get the sleep they need whether sailing, anchored or docked? (Or is a nightcap routine the only real option? )
PlumKrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2011, 00:14   #2
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Best Sleep Possible?

You might find this interesting: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ock-42136.html

We find sleeping in hammocks very comfortable. It can be a problem, because we hang them behind the helm, line them with lounger cushions, and, and use them as the 'driver seats'. Not good if one falls asleep at the helm!! See it in action here: The $15 MILLION Fireworks! « Saucysailoress's Blog
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2011, 04:14   #3
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
but I'm really wondering if sleeping in a hammock might not be such a bad idea? The only problems I can think of is the possibility of compromising the integrity of your hull or possibly bumping into the walls with every lurch
The only time I saw in done, it engendered massive sea sickness. ALso for people who sleep on their side or stomach, hammocks dont really work.

I find that, after the usual lead in period, you sleep really well. Heeling isnt a problem with good lee cloths.Id list in order of preference

(a) Berth is long enough ( im 6'5")
(b) Berth is wide enough at the shoulders and has good lee cloths ( ie high enough)
(c) Mattress is thick, 4" min, 6" better
(d) Comfy pillow
(e) A duvet& sheet, and dont use sleeping bags
(f) Dry and no damp
(g) Quiet, ie no footfall, isnt used as a day seat/sofa
(h) Not a hot bunk, ie set it up for you and you alone
(i) not subject to sudden light pollution or crew noise.

WHy do you ask the question, have you a specific concern.
Old 30-03-2011, 05:11   #4

The only really good night's sleep you'll ever have on a boat is if it is some one else's boat. Then you'll sleep like a baby because it is some one else's problem. Short of that, get thee to Froli. Froli makes plastic springs that support whatever kind of mattress and keep the bunk dry and comfortable.
Hannah on 'Rita T' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2011, 05:26   #5

Boat: Tanzer 26, Walk22

I never used a hammock. I always sleep very well on my sailboat but thats usually at anchor. On the work boat i don't sleep well the first day or two but after working on deck for 20 hours i seem to drift right off no matter what. No matter what the conditions most people can adapt after a short period.
Mark1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2011, 05:27   #6

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 15.5m

Just like at home, a comfortable mattress! We have 6" foam with a 2" memory foam topper on it. A gentle motion is very conducive to sleep, and more vigorous motion is just something that you deal with.
Troubadour52993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2011, 07:56   #7

I've tried to use a hammock before and found it very uncomfortable for regular sleeping, night after night. They're great for a lazy snooze on a sunny afternoon, but every night? Been there, done that, ain't going back!
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2011, 14:23   #8

Boat: Gib'Sea 302, 30' - Hydra

I have slept in a hammock on French Navy schooner "Belle Poule". It was a genuine Navy hammock, with spreaders at the head & foot.

I had to stand on the mess table to climb in the hammock. After that, I even managed to sleep on my side, with some clothes as padding under my head.

It was very comfortable in a gale because I didn't feel the ship rolling (some sailors fell from their bunks in the crew's quarters further forward).

The problem is that you need to be fully awake when going to the heads in the middle of the night.

Alain
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	belle_poule.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	414.2 KB
ID:	25668  
Hydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2011, 14:38   #9

Boat: Cal 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah on 'Rita T' View Post
The only really good night's sleep you'll ever have on a boat is if it is some one else's boat. Then you'll sleep like a baby because it is some one else's problem.
Never has there been a truer thing said.

My boat = No Sleep
Someone else's = Like a log
S/VSkylark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2011, 17:32   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Laurent Giles Salar 40

I'm re-doing my aft cabin to make a queen size berth. Will sleeping athwartships (it's less work to make the bigger bunk) create sleeping issues vs center axis bunk? I'm very prone to sea sickness, not at all sure at this point I'm going to be able to go below and sleep in any orientation.
chris07732 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2011, 02:12   #11
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris07732
I'm re-doing my aft cabin to make a queen size berth. Will sleeping athwartships (it's less work to make the bigger bunk) create sleeping issues vs center axis bunk? I'm very prone to sea sickness, not at all sure at this point I'm going to be able to go below and sleep in any orientation.
Athwartships orientation is not great especially downwind. Humans generally don't like sleeping downhill. It will lead to more seasickness.

Dave
Old 31-03-2011, 03:33   #12

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Athwartships orientation is not great especially downwind. Humans generally don't like sleeping downhill. It will lead to more seasickness.

Dave
I agree. I've always liked my head facing aft too, but that might be from my old Navy days.
Khagan1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2011, 05:02   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khagan1227 View Post
I agree. I've always liked my head facing aft too, but that might be from my old Navy days.
That's in case of sudden stops, you land on your feet. At least that's what the captain did when I ran us fast and hard aground in Florida.
Hannah on 'Rita T' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2011, 13:15   #14

Boat: Gib'Sea 302, 30' - Hydra

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris07732 View Post
Will sleeping athwartships (it's less work to make the bigger bunk) create sleeping issues vs center axis bunk?
IME, yes, it is difficult to sleep athwartships in a seaway because rolling causes your head and feet to go up and down. Once, I left an athwartship bunk to sleep lengthwise on the saloon deck.

I have seen it mentioned in a contract for buiding a warship (where motions should be less of an issue) that no berths were to be athwartships.

Alain
Hydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2011, 14:00   #15

Boat: S.V. Wildheart - 1976 Douglas 32'
Send a message via MSN to serah

We regularly put up our hammock; it hangs from the spinnaker pole slide on the mast, and from a carabiner hooked around the forestay and through the jib halyard shackle (to get height correct). On a warm summer day, it's divine. Overnight, not so much. The hammock is in constant motion, far far more than you would be lying in a bunk, even on a relatively calm day. You will swing. A lot. It's really not even comparable to how it is sleeping in a bunk, or the v-berth. I suppose you could rig one down below, but I imagine the motion situation would be just as bad.

As for laying athwartships, I can't stand it. Up and down laterally is bearable, such as riding through seas, but rolling from side to side all night; unbearable. On the flip side, if we anchor out in English Bay, we find that it's too rolly, and that the wind and the waves are misaligned. So despite having our nose into the wind, we roll all night. (yes, yes we've learnt how to deal with it now) We'd often choose to lay athwartships in the v-berth to avoid the rolling.

Best way to acclimate to the boat's motion. Anchor in a safe, protected cove where you won't worry until you're used to the boat's motion. And buy a big anchor
serah is offline   Reply With Quote