Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-01-2010, 14:02   #1

Boat: Harstad 31' (32' LOD) Serendipity
Send a message via ICQ to tomperanteau Send a message via AIM to tomperanteau Send a message via MSN to tomperanteau Send a message via Yahoo to tomperanteau Send a message via Skype™ to tomperanteau
Best Sailing Simulator?

Here is a question that I have not seen posed. I have looked at VirtualSkipper, Virtual Sailor and Sail Simulator 5. Has anyone downloaded any of these? I would really appreciate any opinions! I have a lot of experience with Flight Simulator, and some with Ship and Train Simulators, but have not tried out any of the sailboat simulators.

Tom
tomperanteau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2010, 02:02   #2

I've downloaded and played virtual skipper (latest version, think it's 7). It's a free download and you can play all the courses for free, think you only have to buy it too compete online? not sure about that.

It's actually pretty decent. Graphics are servicable (it's not the latest greatest half-life/unreal engine game but they're ok still).

I pretty much used it as my learning how to sail program, you can heave-to in the game and it's good for learning wind angles etc. Obviously sail handling is a bit easier then in real life , but it's definately worth downloading and having a go.
troymclure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2010, 02:16   #3

Boat: Kerr 11.3
I've thought about selling these products on my website but always thought most people would not be interested. What do you think?
Old 27-01-2010, 15:02   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbenest View Post
I've thought about selling these products on my website but always thought most people would not be interested. What do you think?

Ok well i don't know what the licences or commissions or fees or anything are for selling games online but if it doesn't take too long or cost too much too setup then even just a few sales will make it worthwhile. Personally I wouldnt' buy virtual sailor because I'm happy with the free offline aspect of the game but I know there are a few forums about the game around so it has a bit of a following and you might get a few sales from there, can't speak for the others as I haven't tried them.
troymclure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2010, 08:46   #5

Boat: Devlin 48 Moon River & Marshal Catboat
You put on a wet or dry suit and get on a single hand raceing sailboat and tangle with a raceing fleet- You won't need any softwear just be prepared to learn.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2018, 06:47   #6

Re: Best Sailing Simulator?

I have just being trying out eSail (https://www.esailyachtsimulator.com) - seems to work pretty well. It depends what you want though; some simulators are mainly aimed at racing while eSail is more about cruising...
AbiD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2021, 10:17   #7

Boat: Minicat 310 Sport

Let me come back to the topic, I did train with a simulator, at the time I did not own a boat, non of my friends had one, and I had no way to learn any basics, except books, and YouTube, which is a good source of information, but not experience. I used eSail, and tried sailway, I can now tell after I actually started to sail, that eSail really is decent. I used it to prepare my self for a practical exam for my inland licence, as well I used it for "training" specific scenarios. Well there is nothing like real sailing, but if real live sailing is out of your reach for now, a simulator will help in the first steps, thats my experience.
DanielCZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2021, 10:25   #8

Boat: Bateau FS17

Marineverse cup is fun,

https://www.marineverse.com/oculus-quest-sailing
Narfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2021, 13:26   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narfi View Post
how is the physics in the VR game I tried one last year and the physics where totally unreal, boat was not leaning, wind directions vague translated, you could not capsize at all, and even setting the sails and trimming was too simplified and limited.
Old 26-04-2021, 15:50   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielCZ View Post
how is the physics in the VR game I tried one last year and the physics where totally unreal, boat was not leaning, wind directions vague translated, you could not capsize at all, and even setting the sails and trimming was too simplified and limited.
I have only had time to play around in the dingy so far, but you can certainly shift your weight some.

I haven't capsized, not sure if you can or not, I wasn't really trying.

Obviously you cant 'feel' the wind so you have to go on the instruments provided, but it does shift and seems realistic enough to me. Letting the sails in or out does have an effect on your telltales and speed.

Sort of hard for me to describe the physics I guess..... I'm not 'invested' in it in that I have no interest in convincing anyone to play it, but I did enjoy it and do a couple races a week, would do the daily ones if I had more time but gaming is low on my list these days.

I found I get VR sickness less if I sit down, standing the motion of the boat plus the disconnect of being in VR is too much for me after 10 or 15 minutes, but sitting down I can go till I get bored.
Old 26-04-2021, 23:35   #11

Well if the VR Games have really developed so much, so better Every simulator that is actually usable definitely helps.
Old 27-04-2021, 06:12   #12

Imo the quest and I assume quest 2 have made VR a viable reality for us.

Stand alone with no need for a computer or wires they are great and somewhat affordable devices.

Great for games and workout programs both, it is amazing what they can do.