Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-03-2012, 20:49   #61

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 43 & S2 6.9
Re: Best Sailing Dog ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic View Post
If you have one by all means they can be a great boat dog. However, I wouldn't get one as a new boat dog.

1) they are more difficult than many other breeds.

2) I would argue with the 'intelligent' part My Dal had what I would call selective intelligence. Sometimes he was really smart, figured out how to climb a very steep 6 step companionway ladder for example, but then other times, like if you'd say 'come' for example, he'd look at you like "no comprende senor"

3) They shed. A LOT. And it's particularly troublesome little spiked hair that thoroughly embeds in everything. It also shows up on everything white hairs on the dark clothes and black hairs on the light clothes, and in addition to that, the immense amount of hair that is on everything, well that's only half of it
1) Already have one, so he'll be going, unless he hates it. But he loves the water and swimming so I think he'll do ok. He's actually the 3rd we've had so we know the breed.

2) That just proves the intelligence. They know what they can and can't get away with. He very likely knows exactly what you want when you say "come", but doesn't feel like it. We're working on ours coming the instant we call - getting there, but a lot of work to do still.. he's distracted easily by scents in the woods.

3) Very used to that. Funny thing with this one though is his hair is so fine and sharp, it's actually pierced my skin like a splinter a few times. Never happened in the 13 years prior with our other Dal(s).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Nitro at home 2011-08-24 026.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	330.3 KB
ID:	39314  
maytrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2012, 21:33   #62

Boat: NA, Looking for a 36-47 ketch.

Hot dogs count? If it falls overboard you still got 7 more lefts and when it starts smelling a bit ripe you can take it fishing. Just stuff it in a bait ball with a wire leader and some hooks and you can get some inexpensive shark for dinner.
sycpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2012, 21:44   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytrix View Post
1) Already have one, so he'll be going, unless he hates it. But he loves the water and swimming so I think he'll do ok. He's actually the 3rd we've had so we know the breed.

2) That just proves the intelligence. They know what they can and can't get away with. He very likely knows exactly what you want when you say "come", but doesn't feel like it. We're working on ours coming the instant we call - getting there, but a lot of work to do still.. he's distracted easily by scents in the woods.

3) Very used to that. Funny thing with this one though is his hair is so fine and sharp, it's actually pierced my skin like a splinter a few times. Never happened in the 13 years prior with our other Dal(s).
oh, my, god... is he cute!
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2012, 22:05   #64

Boat: Ed Monk designed 34' Sloop Second Wind

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDH View Post
We have mini-schnauzers but a standard might also work on a boat (but not a giant).
Thunder my giant would have disagreed with you. He would however have disagreed with you very nicely. There is a giant in my marina who would also disagree with you.

My rescue dog an American Stratfordshire Terrier is a great boat dog. He always keeps a weather eye out for pirates of the Columbia.

Brad
Ironhorse74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2012, 22:51   #65

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

I think that dogs that reall love to swim might be bad on a boat. A friend had a lab that would jump off of the boat when they were 20-30-40 miles offshore. Once he didn't notice for awhile, he backtracked a couple miles and found the dog but that dog's sailing days were done.
Old 30-03-2012, 06:59   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic View Post
oh, my, god... is he cute!
Thanks.

He took a little getting used to since he is so different from our last that we had for 14 years. Our last one was so quiet and never kissed. Nitro (this one) is a huge kisser and talker. It's funny... on a cold night he'll sit in front of the wood stove and sometimes will whine until the fan kicks in and starts blowing the hot air on him..

He did the same the other night when I put him in his crate without his blanket.. whined until I got it for him LOL

He's quite the character..
Old 30-03-2012, 07:00   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by sww914 View Post
I think that dogs that reall love to swim might be bad on a boat. A friend had a lab that would jump off of the boat when they were 20-30-40 miles offshore. Once he didn't notice for awhile, he backtracked a couple miles and found the dog but that dog's sailing days were done.
Getting them to stay on board while underway certainly is critical.
Old 11-04-2012, 12:58   #68
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucySailoress View Post
OK, Since you'll need to buy him a life jacket anyway, I suggest you try him in it from the very beginning - even entering in shallow water. As someone suggested, dense (not thick, dense as in heavy) dogs do tend to sink, and giving them that flotation ensures they enjoy it more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyver View Post
Thanks. Great idea!! Would have never thought of it.

Guy
That said, when we pushed our 6 month lab cross overboard for his first swim from the boat this weekend, we did it sans jacket... we figured we don't want him to interpret us putting his lifejacket on as a signal to jump in the water, since he will mostly only wear it in heavy weather!!! Esp since he quite seems to like it!

After the first push he went straight back to the platform. The second time he was hovering, and just needed a tap on the bum to send him in, and he swam to me at the end of the drift line, then back to boat again. No probs getting up onto the platform and from there up the ladder onto the scoop whilst underway. Apparently we were only making half a knot at the time, but we were still proud!!!

The St Bernard cross, however, doesn't like to swim without hers, so she wears it every time. But she is old and wise enough to be trusted to NEVER jump off.
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2012, 16:34   #69

Any dog you get at a shelter or rescue group will be neutered or spayed. The humping will continue regardless. Our 9 & 11 yr old dogs hump each other (neutered male at 7 months approx. and female) when they get really excited. They still get the urge. On long 8 hours trips down the icw, we take numerous walks around the deck. I need it more than they do. I do not know if we will ever be successful in teaching them to use the astroturf (when we recently went tubing, she still had to find grass to pee on).
Sunnyside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2012, 19:42   #70
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

I think a lab is the most wonderful animal ever created. Mine was loving, patient and loyal. But she did get seasick, and after sailing a few times, she stayed at home.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2012, 13:02   #71

Boat: Catalina 34

My $0.02 in response to the OP would be, the best sailing dog is your dog. While some breeds (or mixes) might work better on some boats (120 lb Great Dane on 25 boat might be a problem) some simple common sense should be all that's necessary. I have a Siberian Husky (on the large side, 80 lb) who does fine on my 28.5 ft Pearson Triton. It's not his favorite place in the world but he would rather be with me than left at home. A Husky might not be the kind of dog that most people would suggest for a boat dog, but here's a blog by three brothers who are circumnavigating with their Husky: The Crew: The Broken Compass. The dog seems to be enjoying the trip.

There are so many dogs that need homes that even if the dog would rather be running around a 50 acre estate, some time on a boat still beats being euthanized.
saw77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2012, 19:50   #72

Boat: Jensen Marine 24.5
Send a message via Skype™ to iamadifferentbreed
Our Catahoula Leopard Cur is a good boat dog. Intelligent, good swimmer, won't jump off the boat unless called. That said, I agree, the dog you have, has to be the right one for you.
Old 17-10-2012, 21:40   #73

Boat: Haida 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamadifferentbreed View Post
Our Catahoula Leopard Cur is a good boat dog. Intelligent, good swimmer, won't jump off the boat unless called. That said, I agree, the dog you have, has to be the right one for you.
Catahoula...The greatest dog I've ever owned, but did not like swimming. Buster passed away last year @ 13 years. I really miss him...Michael..
rubyjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2012, 04:51   #74

Boat: Jensen Marine 24.5
Send a message via Skype™ to iamadifferentbreed
Bernie loves to swim, but hates baths. I think it's amazing how their personalities and traits develop. Gotta say Catahoulas are definitely my favorite breed.
Old 18-10-2012, 05:31   #75

Boat: 1990 Ericson 32-200
Send a message via Skype™ to DennisM

Mini Australian Shepherd. My constant cruising companion. Loves to swim. Jumps into the dinghy from the transom, no problem.Click image for larger version

Name:	10-22-11c.JPG
Views:	233
Size:	144.9 KB
ID:	48452
DennisM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sailing