Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-02-2010, 20:06   #16

Boat: 122 year old Historical Sailing vessel
Well stay away from Rolly Tasker in Thailand unless of coarse you like paying over the moon prices for cheap cloth and more or less workmanship. He actually quoted higher than Hood sails in Mass! And they quoted using their special tall ships cloth with leather chaff patches.
H/V Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2010, 20:12   #17

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide
Consider Paul Lockwood, with Omar Sails Home Great sails (4 years ago), lots of references... really listened to me and gave me exactly what I wanted at a lower price then I could buy from the 'production sail makers'. Call him for a quote 800 533 3082

s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2010, 20:33   #18

Boat: Devlin 48 Moon River & Marshal Catboat
The best sail maker may be you- I have been makeing sails from sailrite kits for almost 30 years- it is not hard to do with their instructions -the materials are top notch and panels are numbered and computer generated and cut . You can put the care and detail labor in where it counts and where most mass production sails have gone to short cuts-once you own a mechine and make a sail ytou are ready for repairs and making other canvas goods for your boat it will not take long for machine(esp. used) to pay for itself many times over. Start with a storm jib and work your way up.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2010, 23:54   #19

Boat: Lancer 30, Little Jumps
Quantum main, about 4 years ago, very pleased all aspects...
bought local so I would not have any fit problems...but was I surprised it was not built by local Quantum loft...live and learn.
hugosalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2010, 09:39   #20

Boat: Devlin 48 Moon River & Marshal Catboat
A lot of quantum stuff from Africa- I had a shipping problem a few years ago with quantum had to go to another sailmaker-a few weeks after alternate delivered the quantum product arrived. It was a lazzy jack sail cover combo and I was hesitant to make it myself at the time -now that I have used one and got a good look at it I would not hesitate to do one-it would be cheaper and quicker that way and I would reinforce wear points
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2010, 15:14   #21

Boat: a sailing boat
No hard rules - all will depend on what is available in your area. All top sailmakers are top notch and some local ones are twice that good.

I use a local Swedish sailmaker (Boding) and also sails from Neil Pryde and Doyle (all of them excellent). I have also used sails from most of big names and all of them were perfect or nearly perfect.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2010, 15:42   #22

Boat: 74 Tartan 34
i bought 130 rf genoa and full batten main and profurl (included new headstay and 3 reef points) from Mack sails the whole package cost 5k in 1999. the fabric is a quality bainbridge.
I was amazed at the performance difference with the new sails, I dont race but i seem to catch boats that should be faster. I got many quotes and Mack was in the middle.
I recently read an article in a sailing magazine about buying sails and the quality you should look for. Things like tripple stitching and other hand sewn stuff. my mack sails had all the items mentioned.
I lived in annapolis at the time I bought the sails. yes sails are now designed by computer programs and maybe if any body had the software then you could design sails too. but then they need to be cut and fabric chosen. Famous sailmakers make many sails offshore. I remember a choice of a 20% premium if you wanted american sewn sails.
annapolis sailmakers seemed to be race and high end oriented-yes the best, but for us regular sailor ??? Mack makes sails in stuart florida and I am Happy with them.
lostsoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2010, 16:03   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post

It seems many, many sails - including major brand names mentioned above, are all now made in one high tech facility in China.
Well, I do not know about N/S but if you have your sails from Doyle or Quantum in Auckland, then they are NOT made in China.

BTW I have seen one of those China made sails by a top name sailmaker and it was top notch workmanship, and the cloth was the same stuff the sailmaker uses in-house.

Still, if available, I would always go for a good local loft - walk in, talk to 'your' sailmaker, explain, ask, get exactly what you want - the cloth, the detailing. That's my way. It is more expensive though (do not expect a local sailmaker to be able to beat the mass production rules of economy).

Buy the better sail, not the cheaper.

b
Old 15-02-2010, 22:18   #24
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
23 posts and nobody mentioned Elvstrom-Sobstad???!! It's side by side on quality with North if not better and we got a better price than even Doyle!

cheers,
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2010, 11:09   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
I am staying with local companies, or at least made in countries whose politics I understand. I am tired of this capitalism disconnect with morality. I will no longer buy from those that kill other people- yeah I know that may include Raytheon.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2010, 11:12   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Baier View Post
Most sailmakers are actually Franchises using the name brands and the price and quality will not be reflected by the name brand. You need to ask around and get feedback from the locals as to who does the best job for the price. The type of sailing you plan to do, racing around the buoys or sailing around the world, will determine weight, cut, and a lot of other factors. That is where a "knowledgeable" sailmaker comes in handy and that might be a local independent loft as opposed to a named brand.
I don't know the particulars, but I do know this to be true. I visited Rolly Tasker's loft in Thailand, for example, and they readily admitted their sails are rebranded by well-known lofts (but wouldn't say which ones). I think RT is good quality and value for money, btw ... but go directly to the loft in Phuket.
Old 16-02-2010, 11:24   #27
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
Although I haven't personally used them (that's probably a year or so away), I've never heard a bad word about Port Townsend Sails - new sails and repair for all sailboats

Carol Hasse does a lot of seminars on sail making and repair. I went to one a few years ago, learned a lot, and came away thinking that she would get my business.

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2010, 11:25   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Mack Sails made a new main, 130 genoa, and Asym as well as supplied a new boom for me. Sails and service were great and the price was good. AFAIK, they were made in the Mack loft in Florida.

The large sail lofts farm some of their sails out to overseas builders. North has their cruising sails made in China, for one. Sails are labor intensive so not a surprize that the Chinese are getting a lot of business. BTW, China has been making sails at least since I've been sailing and that's a long, long time. Used to be questions about their cut and fabric. Now they advertise US fabric, don't know if that is US made fabric or made by US cloth manufacturers overseas mills. In any case, the quality of cloth is no longer an issue. Assume that computer cutting has taken care of any questions about cut. Handwork was always first class on the Chinese sails.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2010, 13:10   #29

Boat: 36' custom steel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intentional Drifter View Post
Although I haven't personally used them (that's probably a year or so away), I've never heard a bad word about Port Townsend Sails - new sails and repair for all sailboats

Carol Hasse does a lot of seminars on sail making and repair. I went to one a few years ago, learned a lot, and came away thinking that she would get my business.

ID
I've never purchased her sails, but have already decided that she will get my business someday when needed.

It should be noted that John Neal uses her sails exclusively because he claims her stuff lasts longer. That's over a quarter of a million sea miles speaking.
Old 16-02-2010, 14:54   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
23 posts and nobody mentioned Elvstrom-Sobstad???!! It's side by side on quality with North if not better and we got a better price than even Doyle!

cheers,
Nick.
Sailing a Swedish boat with Swedish sails I must disappoint you: the two sails I have seen (one on a new mass production boat and one we took into repair) E-S is nowhere close to N/S, Doyle, Quantum, Incidences (list here ...).

I believe the same can (?) be said about any sails by the big shots made for the mass production boats, but since in my case it was E-S hence my sad report. I believe if you order a custom thing in one of their lofts they can be as good as any good sailmaker.

b.