Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-08-2017, 15:34   #1

Boat: Boatless
Best Ridgid Solar Panels?

Hi All;

What brand is the best solar panel manufacturer for use on a sail boat?

Thanks in advance for your input.
Roniszoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2017, 16:55   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Re: Best Ridgid Solar Panels?

There are so many good brands out there . We need some more information about your boat and expected power use/ needs. To give you a better answer.
I install renogy 100 watt panels ( mono panels using sunpower cells) on most customers boats anywhere from one to 4 panels. (Most are under 36 ft vessels )
Old 31-08-2017, 17:15   #3

Boat: Tartan 4100

I think you will find that most people will be happy with their panels although there are probably a few that are not built for the long haul. I had 2 Kyrocera's on my old boat and when I bought my current boat two years ago, one of the first things I did was to buy 3 Kyrocera 150 Watt panels.......they've come down in price so much that it almost doesn't make sense not have them, unless of course your one of those racer types
Cheers,
Tom
Tortuga's Lie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2017, 17:21   #4

My boat is a 35 foot sloop.

I want to be able to provide for my requirements when at anchor; LED lighting, Alder Barbour frig, stereo, VHF, about 6-7 amps. When voyaging I need to add the autopilot and perhaps a chart plotter so lets say a total of 11-12 amps.

Perhaps the panels can't provide for all of my requirements , but hopefully most of them.
Old 31-08-2017, 18:39   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

So somewhere between 40 and 100 ah thats a big range. how big is your battery house bank?
Old 31-08-2017, 19:58   #6

420 Amps is the house bank.

When voyaging I usually run the engine twice a 24 day (every 12 hours or so) for about 45 minutes to an hour to bring the bank up to 85-90% full. I have a high output alternator. The chart plotter is the one new item I didn't have. I'd use the SSB to download GRIB charts when the engine was running so as to reduce drain on the batteries.
Old 31-08-2017, 20:22   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roniszoro View Post
420 Amps is the house bank.

When voyaging I usually run the engine twice a 24 day (every 12 hours or so) for about 45 minutes to an hour to bring the bank up to 85-90% full. I have a high output alternator. The chart plotter is the one new item I didn't have. I'd use the SSB to download GRIB charts when the engine was running so as to reduce drain on the batteries.
Ok I would recomend 400 watts of solar ( general rule of thumb is 1 watt per ah of battery bank)
Along with a decent charge controller. Should be plenty.
And no more need for the iron wind to charge batteries ( except long periods of no sun.)
Old 01-09-2017, 03:55   #8

Boat: Tartan 4100

On a 35' boat, you could have two mounted on the bimini, hopefully out of the shadow of the boom and if you have davits, that's where a third panel could go. Some people will hinge them of of the stern pushpit but that takes due diligence propping them up and taking them down when underway. A radar arch is also another option although they can be pricey, but could double as a platform for other things like a davit system, antennae farm, wind generator platform etc....... decisions, decisions.

On my 37 footer, I had two on the bimini for years without issue and with the MC4 quick connectors, I could remove both panels in under ten minutes for storm prep.
On my 41, I also have two on the bimini (could put 3 but worried about weight) and a third on the davits, they are out of the way and do not interfere with anything and no shadows. I did, however, had to re-locate my stern light but that was due to the dinghy blocking it when hanging from the davits.
Tortuga's Lie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 10:01   #9

Boat: Moody 54
Send a message via MSN to MARIADZ

We have just undertaken this on our Moody 54. We added three Panasonic 240W HIT panels giving a total of 720W paired with a Victron MPPT and 880Ah of battery. They are mounted on a frame mounted on our davits (Simpsons 300kg).

https://mariadz.com/2017/09/01/bring...aysolar-power/
MARIADZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
panels, solar, solar panels