Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-09-2015, 13:28   #16
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Best quality coastal cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul J. Nolan View Post
The man's (I assume) problem is not not knowing what is available in a boat with a cabin; his problem is that he doesn't know how to sail. By the time he has earned the right to call himself a sailor, he'll know what boat to buy.

Paul

When does one earn the right to call himself a sailor?

When he knows how to sail?

When he buys a boat?

When he joins the Navy?

When he is no longer a pollywog?

Both you and the OP are new members here on this forum. One of the key points of this forum is a "Be Nice" rule. Let's not judge anyone too harshly or prematurely, or make statements that diminish others we don't know personally.

This forum is made up of many people with diverse backgrounds and levels of experience sailing. The great thing about this forum is the willingness of sailors to offer helpful advice in a friendly atmosphere where just about any question or topic is possible and welcomed, without ridicule.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2015, 13:32   #17

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy

If you want two heads and two cabins on a boat less than 35'; get a catamaran (and you'll still likely have to refit another head in, but it will be easier to replace the other forward berth with a head than trying to find space for one on a mono). Or get a portapotti and stick it in the other cabin (again, you'll probably have to do some carpentry to fit it in). There are a few monos with two heads I'm sure, but it will take some looking and since, with your budget, you will be buying used, you may not find yourself on a boat for a long time. With slip fees an issue, a catamaran isn't a good choice either as they *may* make you pay more. But, catamarans where it would be relatively easy to install a second head and that come up for sale in your range include: wharrams, Iroquois, and possibly a Gemini.
If you can live without two heads, but still want two cabins on a monohull, relatively inexpensive boats that will do fine for coastal cruising include the pearson 28-2 (built between 1981 to the late 80's, I believe) and the allmand 30. These have enclosed stern cabins in addition to the regular forward vberth. However, stern cabins often suck because if the people in the vberth want privacy and close the door, the stern cabin, especially if it's door is also closed, loses pretty much all airflow and gets stale, hot, and icky. So, also look for hatches on the cabin top, and possibly hatches opening into the cockpit, and be prepared to find space to install extra fans.
On the higher end of your range, you may be able to find some more expensive ex-charter boats which may have more of the amenities you are looking for.
I hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
brownoarsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2015, 13:36   #18

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

OK I swear when I suggested these boats I had no idea they were offered side by side in Marina Del Rey... I don't work for the broker! But still, here is a Pearson 365 there. Take a couple hours and drive up to have a look I'd say.
Marina del Rey Yacht Sales : 1977 Pearson 365 for sale CA US
That is a lot of boat for the money.

But I bet you have a great selection down there in San Diego too.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2015, 13:45   #19

Awesome I'll keep my options open and consider your super helpful tips. Much obliged and blue waters.
sjenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2015, 13:47   #20
g_3

Boat: 9'2" Pride Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul J. Nolan View Post
In his fourth year, he came in tenth in the Star Olympic trials. You might not progress to that level at that speed,

Good luck.

Paul
It's always nice to remember that no matter how great you think you are at something, there are always people who are better and think you yourself are pretty much a newbie.

It helps to keep that in mind when you decide to condescend to others.

I've been hip-deep in another industry (Skiing) that has the same level of "snob reputation" that elite sailing and some yacht owners appear to possess. Funny how it was often the mid-level guys who are the most arrogant. No one should be like that.

I, for one, came in here and asked some basic questions, and everyone was really cool to me. The OP deserves the same treatment.
g_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2015, 13:51   #21

Boat: Cape Dory 28

Lol. I don't think you need to sail lasers for a year. Go buy a 30-33 foot boat and learn to sail better. A
Six week course is good but single handing a 30 foot boat yourself is harder than you think. But you can do it. And within a couple months take yourself to Catalina.

But two heads, two cabins and electric winches are not things someone who knows how to sail asks for. But you're new. You didn't know.

I'm a single guy. I have a 28 foot boat. There is a cabin in the front then a door than a head then a door then the main cabin. There you go. Two separate sleeping areas.
northoceanbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2015, 14:01   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by northoceanbeach View Post
Lol. I don't think you need to sail lasers for a year. Go buy a 30-33 foot boat and learn to sail better. A
Six week course is good but single handing a 30 foot boat yourself is harder than you think. But you can do it. And within a couple months take yourself to Catalina.

But two heads, two cabins and electric winches are not things someone who knows how to sail asks for. But you're new. You didn't know.

I'm a single guy. I have a 28 foot boat. There is a cabin in the front then a door than a head then a door then the main cabin. There you go. Two separate sleeping areas.
Oh yeah, of course! Cape Dories are great boats too. Certainly fits your desire for a well-made boat. North Ocean Beach can tell you all about his 28, and there is a 30 and a 32. The 32 has a quarter berth with a door I think to close it off. That is one boat, and the kind of boat, that if you want to go farther, it's a great choice. There is a beautiful 28 offered on SD craigslist.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 20-09-2015, 14:10   #23

I forgot you asked for quality construction! For the allmand 30, if you go that way, be sure to look for ones with a lead keel rather than iron. It's not the most fun, best sailing, or well-constructed boat ever, but manages to create a lot of space in 30 feet. I also realise that there probably won't be a lot of those in CA, apologies for my east coast bias!

O'day made some larger 35-37' boats with center cockpits that divided into an aft and forward cabin. Moody also did the same starting at 32' if I remember correctly from when I was looking. In fact, it's probably not a bad idea to look at center cockpit boats (if you don't mind them), as they will often divide up the cabin arrangements at the center cockpit. A quick search of the forum will give you more than you want to know about center cockpits vs aft cockpits.

Hope this helps.

Old 20-09-2015, 14:16   #24

P.s. One other thought (depending on location and appetite for risk): underway or at night, the outside of the boat becomes a de facto second head for men going number one. It makes a real difference not to have to listen to someone pumping a head at 2 am!
*cue some CF stories about coast guard body finds usually being men with their pants down and about how peeing in the water while at anchor makes you a terrible person

Old 20-09-2015, 15:07   #25
cruiser

1) A six week course will not teach you how to sail. Would you board a jumbo jet flown by a "pilot" with six weeks of flight school? Go under the knife of a "surgeon" who had had only a semester of medical school? What's the difference? Right now you can't even spell "sailor" let alone bear the burden of command.

2) A woman who had raced four years on a friend's boat, including four Mackinaws, told me she still didn't feel comfortable aboard. It turns out the only thing she had done was handle the backstays. For four years. She was no more a sailor than John Wayne was a war hero. I gave her the same advice I gave you. She wrinkled up her pretty little nose and said, "I don't think I want to do that!"

3). I know precisely what boat you should buy. Come back in a few years as a sailor; we'll discuss it then.

4) I was reading a thread just last night on this very forum, I believe, pondering the morality of encouraging neophytes and lubbers to " follow their (offshore) dreams." The problem with 90% of the people in our sport is they have never iearned to sail! First you're an apprentice... crew for someone skilled who will teach you or sail a Laser and learn--really learn--on your own. Then journeyman, race your own Lightning for a few years. There is a reason a vessel's captain is called the Master.

5) Don't call me "dude."

Paul
Paul J. Nolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2015, 15:26   #26

Oh well, better discount all my tips. I'm not a saillorr either.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 20-09-2015, 15:36   #27

Paul, you never know what kind of experience some one has outside of sailing that could make one well suited to skippering a boat with out a strong knowledge of sailing.

Heavy equipment operators, pilots, professional mariners, some types of soldiers (artillery?), long haul truckers all come to mind. Good spatial awareness and an ability to maintain and operate machinery and some familiarity with navigation are all core elements in sailing.

Hobbies that have good transferrable skills might be motorcyclists, automotive enthusiasts, off roaders, back country explorers.

Sent from my XP7700 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2015, 15:47   #28
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyVan View Post
Paul, you never know what kind of experience some one has outside of sailing that could make one well suited to skippering a boat with out a strong knowledge of sailing.

Heavy equipment operators, pilots, professional mariners, some types of soldiers (artillery?), long haul truckers all come to mind. Good spatial awareness and an ability to maintain and operate machinery and some familiarity with navigation are all core elements in sailing.

Hobbies that have good transferrable skills might be motorcyclists, automotive enthusiasts, off roaders, back country explorers.

Sent from my XP7700 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Don't forget rock climbers, they know how to shiver for hours on end while trying to reach a goal
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2015, 15:54   #29
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

This is a funny thread. Being a PNW "sailor" (still a beginner after 30 years) I have to question the motives of many replies. He's going to get out there solo no matter what you say (I did). Hopefully, he's going to come home wet, cold and a whole lot wiser. Some don't come home at all, but they are in the minority.
Answer his question, let him buy the electric winch and wish him fair seas. He's not asking for advice as to whether he should go or not.
BTW: you can upgrade any newer Andersen winch to electric, and I don't know any monohull boat less than 40 that is seaworthy and two heads.
Fair seas.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2015, 15:55   #30

Well I am a fairly new sailor but I'm also a scuba diver and pilot so these help with sailing indirectly.
sjenner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, cruiser