Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-09-2015, 04:06   #106

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: Best quality coastal cruiser

A boat with two heads:

1984 Westerly Corsair sailboat for sale in Maryland
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2015, 09:48   #107

Boat: Seawind 1160 38' # 60

Maybe ,join a sailing club in San Diego . most clubs have boat size selections from 25 ' to ----- . you will get to know the pros and cons of the different sizes and will understand why you need a boat closer to 40 ' to have enough space for 2 heads . Same with electric winches not that necessary on smaller boats with lighter sails . We have a 38 ' catamaran with one electric winch that every line on the boat leads to, makes every day sailing easy . Also electric toilets , auto pilot , roller furling everything, all this stuff comes with a price , and probley wont fit in a $ 60,000.00 budget . like the other sailors that answered you, this knowledge and wants come with many years of trial and error from dingy sailing to our present boat . Happy Sailing Dave
David Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2015, 12:25   #108

Boat: Cape Dory 28

Here is some idea of what the separating door between the v berth in the front, the head in the middle and the salon with two berths looks like on my boat, which is probably smaller than you would want. Maybe it will help you picture the size. The head is on the left and a sink, mirror and cupboards are on the right.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	409.5 KB
ID:	109605  
northoceanbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2015, 23:25   #109

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

It was only emntioned once previously, I think, but you really should be very cencerned about headroom. If you have to stoop all time you are in the cabin, you'll be miserable. If you gravitate towards the more modern boats, you can easily find a 33 footer with 2 cabins and 6' 2-3" hearoom.

The 2 heads are more difficult although I believe they are around. If you really want electric winches - they can be retrofitted or else buy one of the electric winnch handles.

You'll probably also be surprised that you'll find out that having guests staying more than a night or two is a PITA, unless they are sailors also.

We have a 40 footer and well, guest really tend to fill the boat and they get in the way when you are sailing. Mind you, we have guests all the time - but we're happy when they leave after a couple of days.

When I say they get in the way - try tacking with 2 or 3 people in the cockpit who have no idea what is going on - best to just send them below for a couple of minutes.

Docking in winds or a difficult docking maneuver is also quite a task when there are people filling up the cockpit.

Your boat is out there - especially if you are willing to make a compromise or two. Were I you, I'd join a sailing club or go to one and ask to crew on various boats that seem to meet your requirements.

You'll soon find out what is improtant and what can be compromised on

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2015, 16:58   #110

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"

Wow, your cockpit must be tiny if you can't tell a couple of people where they can sit to be out of the way!
Old 24-09-2015, 17:15   #111

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
That would be an excellent choice ( if its still on the market ).... the Corsair is the little sister of the Sealord.... a few feet shorter with a smaller aft cabin.

A go anywhere boat.

Tags
cruise, cruiser