Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-06-2013, 11:08   #1

Boat: CD 26D.
Best Place To Get Sea Charts?

Yes I searched first!

I can't seem to find anything [FOR PAPER] other than here:

Nautical Charts Online - Search Results

Which tools would I need to get going?!!

Thus far I have a Sextant. Not sure what else is needed, there seems to be A LOT of chart tools. Are all of these required for getting an accurate lock on your position out there?!!

<3~~
Old 04-06-2013, 11:14   #2

Re: Best Place To Get Sea Charts?

There is a book called Dutton's Piloting and Seamanship (IIRC). It has all the information you need. That's why they write books.

You could also search on Amazon or even Google for "navigation instruments" --- the list goes on.

You are asking a really open ended question that covers a lot of ground, more than a reply or a series of replies on an internet forum can handle.

Good luck.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 11:19   #3

You need a set of parallel rulers and a set of dividers to get you going. Try bluewater books in Ft. Lauderdale for paper charts.
haw1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 11:20   #4

Does Dutton's Piloting and Seamanship include where to get these paper charts?

Are Pilot and Nautical charts different? Where can I get both?

Ahhhhhh, so many questions..
Old 04-06-2013, 13:17   #5

At this point you need nautical charts. They are similar to a road map, except, they are of the water and they have lat. lon. markings on the edge. I would suggest a navigation class of some kind. Maybe the USPS has one you can take. Good luck.
haw1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 13:19   #6

Boat: Outbound 44

Bellingham Chart Printers offers some decent pricing on packages.
Old 04-06-2013, 17:21   #7

Thanks guys!!

So sea charts are typically for location and (if you're lucky buoys and depth or other important land marks? That's all?

<3~~~~~~~
Old 04-06-2013, 17:58   #8

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

You need to study a chart's legend; it describes the symbols on the chart. You need to take a navigation course, the old fashion way but not going back to using a sextant to find your position; a GPS will give you that information, in an instant. In a navigation class, you'll learn how to plot a course and learn the factors that will influence your chartered course while underway. Water depth, currents, tides, obstructions, markers, visual navigation aids must all be considered prior to heading to a destination. To sum up, a navigation course is a must have if you intend on sailing the seven seas. The United States Power Squadron and the US Coast Guard Auxiliary offer very low cost navigation classes, in major cities; check them out. You can self-teach yourself navigation, if you are up to it; a good navigation textbook, referenced chart(s), dividers, a plotter, among other tools you'll need to undertake this discipline.
With respect to charts used in aviation, unless you are a pilot, there is no need to have them on-board. Good luck! Mauritz
Teknav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 18:17   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

I have to say that the questions you are asking make me a bit nervous about your safety going on the water before a good bit more study.

Yes the a nautical chart is a like a street map but instead it is for the water. Will show the water depth, channel markets (sort of like street signs), lights that you would see at night and many other details needed to safely navigate a boat from here to there.

Considering your lack of experience, instead of a sextant I think you would do better with a GPS. A fancy (expensive) GPS will have charts built in and will keep track of exactly where you are AND show that on the chart on the screen. A cheaper GPS will keep track of your location but you will have to take that information and locate that spot on the chart. Like you look at a house and see you are at 123 Main Street but do not know where that is in the city so you get a street map and find 123 Main St on the map and see where you are and how to get to where you want to go.

A Pilot Chart is for planning an ocean voyage. It will show the average wind speed and direction for that part of the world shown on that chart. There are separate pilot charts for each month of the year since the winds and weather can vary a lot depending on the season.

Have you thought about taking some sailing classes?
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 18:45   #10

Boat: 40' Northstar 80/20

There is a lot more to navigating by charts than you might think at a cursory glance, it's definitely worthwhile to take a class in it. I wouldn't attempt to go anywhere you're unfamiliar with until you know how to navigate with a chart (or you have a GPS). Sail in an area you're familiar with until you feel confident in your charting.
Old 04-06-2013, 18:55   #11

Boat: Columbia 41

I bought a "portfolio" of charts for the N. Atlantic from Bellingham Chart Printers. Thay sell them in full size or half size prints. They scan the originals to PDF and then print the PDF's on an as ordered basis. The chart paper is common bond and the prints are in black and white. I found that to be okay since it gave me something to do, color the charts. Also, coloring the charts forces one to actually study them.
Bellingham Chart Printers
You can also watch ebay. Charts do come up now and then.

As for the sextant, I would advise you to buy W.F. Bucley's DVD on reducing sun sights. He uses HO 249. The DVD is available from bennettmarine.com. If the sight reduction process looks interesting to you then go forward. If it is not your cup of tea, that's okay too. I bought a nice WW2 US Navy sextant on ebay for $225, in the box with all the tools. People generally can't be bothered with celestial nav anymore so even the best sextants (C Plath, Tamaya, David White) go for a fraction of what they did 20 years ago. I would not go with a plastic sextant. The price for first quality is so close to bottom end that is just didn't make sense.
Sam Plan B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:58   #12

Boat: 2018 Senesco 110'

Try here OceanGrafix the charts are printed to the most recent Notices and Local Notices. There are several good books on piloting and I recommend hard copies you can keep on board. Definitely get a good GPS, and plotting tools (I prefer 2 triangles myself), practice with them. You should also make sure you have a good VHF radio for when it all goes wrong.
BigBoater917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:28   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
I have to say that the questions you are asking make me a bit nervous about your safety going on the water before a good bit more study.

Yes the a nautical chart is a like a street map but instead it is for the water. Will show the water depth, channel markets (sort of like street signs), lights that you would see at night and many other details needed to safely navigate a boat from here to there.

Considering your lack of experience, instead of a sextant I think you would do better with a GPS. A fancy (expensive) GPS will have charts built in and will keep track of exactly where you are AND show that on the chart on the screen. A cheaper GPS will keep track of your location but you will have to take that information and locate that spot on the chart. Like you look at a house and see you are at 123 Main Street but do not know where that is in the city so you get a street map and find 123 Main St on the map and see where you are and how to get to where you want to go.

A Pilot Chart is for planning an ocean voyage. It will show the average wind speed and direction for that part of the world shown on that chart. There are separate pilot charts for each month of the year since the winds and weather can vary a lot depending on the season.

Have you thought about taking some sailing classes?
I knew MOST of this information.

I'm about to take off across the planet, so I'm making sure all basics are covered. I will of course be using a GPS primary (5 actually), but I'd like to be backed up and ready incase of a massive CME ;D

Thanks so much all!!
Old 05-06-2013, 09:33   #14
cruiser

Best Place To Get Sea Charts?

Ship Chandler

Thus far I have a Sextant. Not sure what else is needed

You need an accurate chronometer, nautical almanac, sight reduction tables for air (marine) navigation, nautical triangle(s)/ plotter, divider, pencil and rubber.
maybe calculator, depend how you intend to do the calculations and what type of calculations you are doing.
gindac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:38   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOMN View Post
I knew MOST of this information.

I'm about to take off across the planet, so I'm making sure all basics are covered. I will of course be using a GPS primary (5 actually), but I'd like to be backed up and ready incase of a massive CME ;D

Thanks so much all!!
Well based on what you are asking, I am concerned about your understanding of charts which is the most basic skill needed to even leave the dock, much less sail around the world.

Can you read and completely understand a nautical chart? Do you know what the purple, exclamation point shaped marks mean? If you see this next to the purple mark "FL (2) 30s 163ft 26M" do you know what that means?

Not trying to bust your chops here, just a little concerned about your plans.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charts