Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2014, 14:30   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Best Marina and yard in Panama City Beach area

Probably will buy a sailboat this month, currently keep a small powerboat at Naval base, but can't keep a larger sailboat there, so I'm looking for recommendations for first a yard to re-step the mast and tune the rigging / launch as I may have to have a boat trucked in.
Then where to keep it? How about Destin area, is that better? Looking for a slip that is protected, in a marina that has good amenities and is safe, live aboard is not yet an option, so I don't need that. Pump out facility would be a plus too.
Boat size 36 to maybe 40 ft max, surely 30 amp power is all.
Looking for recommendations or also warning of where to stay away from too
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 14:44   #2

Boat: Hunter 2003 356 - Persistence
Re: Best Marina and yard in Panama City Beach area

On my way south to Florida this fall, we left our 36 foot boat at Baypoint Marina for the month of November while we returned home. Very friendly place and was fast out to the Gulf. Staff was excellent and very helpful. Restricted access to the Baypoint Resort gave me a better feeling about security. We had access to the full range of facilities but didn't need them. Fuel dock was very clean and there are some amenities nearby. Close to West Marine and Publix, so for a cruiser, it was a good spot, but not within walking distance. Car rentals available at the hotel and we rented and returned our car there. After returning the car, we were shuttled back to the marina by golf cart. That was nice for us and if you were there permanently, you could get shuttled to the hotel or other on-site restaurants. A nice touch for transients was a daily paper delivered to the slip while we were there. My wife liked that a lot.

No boatyard, but did see mechanics and electronics work being performed on nearby boats, so work not requiring haul out was being done there. If you had to haul out, I don't know where you would go for that if you were there permanently.
J Clark H356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 15:10   #3

Boat: Various

As transients our experiences won't necessarily hold for you, plus we were restricted by a larger boat. However, we have been very pleased with Bay Point in Panama City, Baytowne in Destin, and Palafax Harbor in Pensacola.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 15:16   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I'm thinking best thing to do is maybe rent a transient slip before you commit? Of course Bay Point look a little high rent for me, just from looking on the internet. I'd like to keep slip fees under $500 if possible.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Panama