Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-07-2016, 19:24   #1

Boat: Challenger 7.4 but looking for 30-40ft with a wheel
Best cellphone for sailing

So I fried my LGG4 whilst sailing the Grenadines in May. Can't believe that I have lasted this long without one but it is now time to replace. Would an Iphone make the most sense for Sailing the Caribbean because there are so many sailing apps compared to Android?
earthmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2016, 19:28   #2

Boat: Farr Phase 4, 12.8m
Re: Best cellphone for sailing

Iphones aren't very robust. I prefer a more robust and waterproof phone like the Sony Xperia or the Samsung Galaxy S7....
Old 26-07-2016, 19:39   #3

Boat: Challenger 7.4 but looking for 30-40ft with a wheel

So the Sony is saltwaterproof?
earthmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2016, 20:08   #4

Depends entirely what you use the cellphone for. Android devices come in more form factors and if you look, you'll find multiple SIM capability, better battery life, and more robust weather proofing. But you have to deal with more bugs, less security and fewer higher quality apps.

If you use Iridum Go, Android had the better results the last I checked.
SV DestinyAscen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2016, 20:24   #5

LifeProof make water proof cases for iPhone and Samsung Galaxy. I have lost several phones to saltwater, and for me the availability of a LifeProof case is the determining factor. Recently bought a LifeProof case for my Samsung Galaxy and while it has not yet been tested in anger, I feel confident in the quality of the case.

See the LifeProof site to check exactly which models are covered.

Lee
banjoship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2016, 21:02   #6

Boat: Vagabond 14

https://www.amazon.com/Plano-3440-10.../dp/B00469G31G

Cheap cell phone protection

Of course... this answer doesn't work while you use the phone.

If you don't use the cell phone a lot... something similar to a TrackFone... but don't activate it till you need it. (not sure about international equivalent "disposable" cell phones)
With Trackfone $20 can get you a basic phone and a month of service... or $20 for a smartphone and then you have to add an airtime card. Nice backup.
TurninTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2016, 01:09   #7

Boat: Farr Phase 4, 12.8m

Waterproof is waterproof, fresh or salt. Why buy a case when you can just buy a waterproof, ruggedised phone? My Sony has been swimming in the bottom of the dingy, washed under the tap, dropped, and otherwise abused. Still works fine, it's been great.

Sent from my D5503 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 27-07-2016, 03:45   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune's Gear View Post
Waterproof is waterproof, fresh or salt. Why buy a case when you can just buy a waterproof, ruggedised phone? My Sony has been swimming in the bottom of the dingy, washed under the tap, dropped, and otherwise abused. Still works fine, it's been great.

Sent from my D5503 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
I am not an expert on phones, and tend to be guided by reviews and tests on technology sites. Googling on "is the Samsung S7 (or Sony Xperia) waterproof" draws a raft of reviews and tests. Most are heavily qualified, saying the waterproofing is partial, that the phones are splashproof or will/may take a brief accidental immersion.

The reviews draw a distinction between fresh and salt water exposure. See for example Sony's Xperia Z3 phone - not as waterproof as you think – Blog – ABC Technology and Games (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)
That review covers the Sony and includes direct quotes from the Sony company that their phone should not be exposed to salt water, and if it is it should be immediately rinsed in fresh, and dried.

Your experience seems to be the exception.

For me, I prefer the added protection of a case. But then I also put my waterproof handheld VHF and waterproof camera (rated to 10 metres continious) in special waterproofing bags. The case for the phone also adds shock protection.

Lee
banjoship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2016, 04:20   #9

Boat: 2018 Seadoo GTX 230

I think the some of the android phones are 'water resistant' so you still need to baby them most of the time.

iPhone - weaker batteries, and got to really baby it.

Android Motorola Turbo 2 comes with a shatter proof screen.

Both iPhone and Android come with more apps than you can shake a stick at.

I personally think a cell phone as being usless on a boat. What am I missing?

Sent from my SM-G360V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2016, 04:39   #10

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

I have a Sony Xperia.It is splashproof at least.
Was very happy when we got pooped by a wave the other day when taking the dinghy ashore.
No waterdamage.

The important part are the seals. Should water get inside you can expect damage in almost any phone.

Still will keep in a ziplock in these situations next time.

Oh and by the way have a very robust casing and screenprotector on it now.
Don't ask how I learned about that one :$

http://ladyrover.jimdo.com/photo-log...hannel-beyond/
Old 27-07-2016, 04:47   #11
cruiser

An Iphone 6 or iphone 6s with 64GB memory in a Lifeproof nuud waterproof case wearing a lifeproof lifejacket is a fantastic combo.

It floats and is waterproof to two meters, drop and shock proof, accepts international SIM cards, takes great pictures, internal GPS, navigates and has a complete set of Mediterranean and EU charts.

My wife's Samsung Note..... takes great pictures, but can't do any of the rest and needs to be constantly babied. On the water, it's a piece of junk that can't do much of anything, but..... it takes great pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	397.6 KB
ID:	128520  
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2016, 05:07   #12
cruiser

Here's my two year old Samsung Galaxy S4 wearing a Lifeproof case and the Iphone's lifejacket. I paid to have it unlocked so that it will accept international SIM cards, most Samsung phones from America don't have this ability.

Also, the Galaxy doesn't have a program like INavx available as an app and it can't take photos while wearing the lifejacket. We basically keep it around as a spare phone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	378.1 KB
ID:	128521  
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2016, 05:38   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cheoy Lee, 44 Cutter. Dolce Far Niente

I have been around boats my whole life and have dropped more than my share in the water. This time around I bought a Sony Experia Z1 Compact which is waterproof/submersible, dust and shock resistant. So far it has been great. I had to replace the screen once after leaving it on the roof of the car and driving away, but even that did not damage the internals of the phone. Also I cannot see paying $800 for another iphone that I don't use very much, I've had every iPhone 1-4 and found they are not very rugged and the battery life sucks. Not a recipe for life on a boat unless you are willing to encase it in a bulky stupid looking plastic case which ruin the size and ascetics of the phone.
rourkeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2016, 06:02   #14

I have a Samsung S5 Active. It is an older phone but it is waterproof and rugged. No issues on the boat or on the beach. I do try to keep in a plastic bag when I am not using it since why subject it to anymore abuse than necessary.
Hoosiersailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2016, 06:08   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

The best cell phone for use on a boat, is whatever you like best to use, but chosen from among what is already or what can be made reasonably splash-proof if not waterproof.

I cannot count the number of phones I have destroyed by dunking them in salt water, dropping them into the bilge, etc., etc. In my opinion, a normal phone with no waterproofing is just not suitable for use on board.

I use a Sony Xperia and it's very good in all kinds of ways. It has no problem being dunked briefly in salt water (you have to remember to keep the charger flap closed tight, however). I also use a Sony Xperia tablet with OpenCPN, Go Free, and other programs, and it is brilliant, and also natively waterproof.

Some other phone in a rugged, waterproof, accessory case might be even better -- but will you always keep it in the case? If you are sure you will, then go for it. Otherwise -- I would personally choose a phone which is already waterproof. All phones, actually, should be waterproof, in my opinion. Phones don't get dunked in water only on boats.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
phone, sail, sailing