Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 10-02-2010, 01:30   #1

Best Boat

I am relativly new to sailing, and I was wondering what everyone oppinion is on what is the best off-shore sailboat out there for a 4 person crew for an extended period of time say 3 years, and by best I mean most forgiving/best in heavy weather.

Old 10-02-2010, 03:31   #2

Boat: Nauticat 42
it sort of depends on, your budget, what cabin layout you want ie one double and two singles, two doubles with two heads for two couples etc, I've just been through this proces and came up with centre cockpit, pilot house with internal helm for cold weather, two doubles with two heads and individual showers and no more than 45', but not many fit the mould and all for my budget,

Check out the Ted Brewer Motion Comfort Ratio, its a good guide for sea friendly boats

Old 10-02-2010, 07:59   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Yemen & Lebanon... the sailboat is in Lebenon, the dhow is in Yemen
Boat: 1978 CT48 & 65ft Cargo Dhow
Welcome guys.....what did you get Isobar1013.
Got any pictures?
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 08:08   #4

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 331
The best boat is one that is paid for!
Old 10-02-2010, 14:14   #5

Boat: Nauticat 42
James Haven't bought it yet but I found one on the planet in my price range, Its a 1990 Holeman & Pyke designed Wauquiez Amphitrite MS45, with a MCR of 40 and great build quality and layout it ticks all the boxes except the mast furling main and no cutter rig but I can cope with them. I hope to fly over in April if its still around.
Old 10-02-2010, 14:43   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Yemen & Lebanon... the sailboat is in Lebenon, the dhow is in Yemen
Boat: 1978 CT48 & 65ft Cargo Dhow
Just had a look at one...very unusual cabin lay out...I like it.
Classy looking hull as well.....nice!
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 16:00   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cascade, Sloop, 42 - "Casual"
Aloha Unsafe,
Welcome to the forum of many opinions and thread hijacking.
The more you know about sailing and boats the more you realize that "best boat" is the opinion of the individual sailor.
Please have a look at the links after my signature and find a copy of the book that I recommend.
I think best boat is a fiberglass hull, diesel engine, aft cockpit, cutter rigged and under 36 feet. Not everyone here agrees with me. There are many makers of such boats in different qualities and costs so it is good that you get some sailing time and look at each boat and have a marine surveryor help you pick a good one.
kind regards,
Old 10-02-2010, 18:41   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat
Bowman 57/8,
Maramu 46,
Catana 43/47

b.
Old 10-02-2010, 19:22   #9

Send a message via Skype™ to olsneezy
Hi, I've been reading this forum for at least 5 years.
And "unsafe" has a legitimate question, but he will not get the answers he seeks until somewhat more is known about his requirements.
Many of us here have lived on boats, and probably just as many have raced.
If you can, look at Swan and Hinckley.
Any boat that you get must have the capability of being sailed single-handed. No exceptions.
Get a yacht that can "point". Look for the least maintenance possible (yes difficult). Go with an experienced sailor who has raced and cruised and look at used boats.
Regretfully I must suggest that you keep your target boat under 20 years old.
Why ? engine, sails and rigging.
Next, waterline length (LWL), more important than L.O.A.
An old 42' boat with a 29' LWL will not have the room that a 38', with 33' LWL, and won't sail as well.
Designs after 1985 have improved hull shapes, some, even Catalina, have better build quality after 1990. Plus don't worry about draft, unless you plan to sail in swamps.
Obviously these comments will offend some.
Allen
Old 10-02-2010, 20:30   #10
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsafebutton View Post
I am relativly new to sailing, and I was wondering what everyone oppinion is on what is the best off-shore sailboat out there for a 4 person crew for an extended period of time say 3 years, and by best I mean most forgiving/best in heavy weather.
For newbies I recommend this

Deck guns are extra
Old 11-02-2010, 16:54   #11

Boat: Devlin 48 Moon River,j/100 BJ
Tropic Cat I hope they have done something about the tendancy to roll in big seas- the 311 ft tin can I spent time on in the noth atlantic was top heavy.
Old 11-02-2010, 19:02   #12

Boat: Bristol 34
Two cents (or pence) worth:

Start with this link: Amazon.com: Twenty Small Sailboats to Take You Anywhere (9780939837328): John Vigor: Books

Also, carefully read the Atom Voyages list referenced earlier.

My learning is towards a well maintained boat under 34 feet built in the early seventies and then upgrading the standing and running rigging as well as some other modifications you may need for single handing.

When you think you have found the right boat, pay for a good survey - it is money well spent on something your life will (not may) depend on.

Many of the smaller "seaworthy" boats of that era can be had for far less than your budget, leaving enough funds to insure that you can do the upgrades.

Part of my reasoning on age is that boats later than 85 but newer than 2000 would probably not have seen upgrades of items you don't want to be in doubt of (rigging, chain plates, etc).

As far as a particular make, use the suggested reference material as a guide but if you find a boat not listed, most makes and models are easily researched on the internet.

Personally, I would insist on an encapsulated (full or 3/4) deep keel and skeg hung rudder at minimum, but many would argue my position.
Old 11-02-2010, 20:08   #13
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsafebutton View Post
It helps to know which side of the Atlantic you are... a lot on here are USA so their recomendations are not much use unless you plan on flying across to buy..... if your on that side o the Pond ignore this post.....

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 21:30   #14

Boat: boatless atm
Send a message via MSN to bobfnbw
Quote:
Originally Posted by olsneezy View Post
Any boat that you get must have the capability of being sailed single-handed. No exceptions.
Get a yacht that can "point". Look for the least maintenance possible (yes difficult). Go with an experienced sailor who has raced and cruised and look at used boats.
Regretfully I must suggest that you keep your target boat under 20 years old.
Why ? engine, sails and rigging.
Next, waterline length (LWL), more important than L.O.A.
An old 42' boat with a 29' LWL will not have the room that a 38', with 33' LWL, and won't sail as well.

Allen
Allen, very general and inaccurate I would say.
For one, to say to keep the boat under 20 years old due to things that will be replaced/upgraded during that time is not correct. Rigging has to be changed out, sails as well, engines rebuilt or replaced. Its all part of it. A boat that is 20 years old with the original rigging and sails... is not a boat to buy unless you understand that your will be spending some money on her... which as we all know, is impossible NOT to do on any used or new boat.
Again with the waterline length. To say that it won't sail as well is not accurate. Many older boats had long overhands to comply with old sailing rules, but when heeled over the LWL increased.

So the truth is, a old boat can be a great value, and as long as it is properly surveyed, and you know what you are getting into, a good buy. A newer boat can be a great boat as well. But don't mistake the fact that a newer boat will have less problems, more room, point higher or be less maintaince than a older boat. It just ain't so.
Bob
Old 11-02-2010, 22:41   #15

Boat: Devlin 48 Moon River,j/100 BJ
Opinion( not fact)- the best boat is one that has a knowlegable skipper who understands his steed and knows how to use the reins and spurs- If you don't think the annalogy works you should see the difference between a horse ridden by a beginner student and an old pro trainer its like magic. Was it not spray that went around the world with Slokum- Do you think it was the boat or the man?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: