Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 12-02-2010, 08:22   #16

Boat: Bristol 34
Two things come to mind when reading through this thread:

(1) I have read (and once posted myself) similar posts on “what boat to buy”. Never have I seen a poster proclaim: “I have unlimited funds with which to buy a boat”. On the contrary, most of us have budgets and in this world economy those budgets are often severely constrained.

(2) When I look around at all my “junk” one thing appears universal. Stuff made thirty years ago is simply much higher quality of stuff made three years ago. My Nikon Digital camera is cool, but not built nearly as solid as my old Nikon F2. My new truck is painfully not as well made as my first one was. Etc. Etc., ad naseum.

Those observations considered and with the caveat that this is only my humble opinion, I also have to respectfully disagree with Allen about newer boats. If I had a $55,000 budget and the choice of a 1974 ($15,000) boat, or similar 2004 ($55,000) boat, I’d go with the older boat and put the $40,000 difference in new sails, rigging, wiring, fiberglass reinforcement and equipment. Again, just my opinion and worth exactly what it costs.

Now to simply answer the original question:

Wait until Jessica Watson completes her circumnavigation, fly to Australia and buy the S&S 34 “Pink Lady”. For God’s sake just leave enough in the budget for a paint job ……. (bless you Jess, pink is just not my thing).

rover88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: