Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-09-2013, 11:20   #46
Senior Cruiser
 
colemj's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Presently on US East Coast
Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Posts: 10,049
Images: 12
Re: Best America's Cup series EVER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sardinebreath View Post
After finally conceding that their boat was not competitive, USA took a time out to tweak things in order to get back in it. Why, after it was clear beyond any doubt that the USA boat had become vastly superior, did NZ not do the same thing? Did anyone have any doubt that USA would power by NZ on the upwind leg in the last race after having done exactly that the previous day? The boats were essentially in different classes going upwind. I felt zero excitement about the final race because the result was clearly a foregone conclusion.
Money. TNZ were broke by the final race. Besides, the purported system is said to have existed on Oracle since the beginning - they simply got it working finally. There would have been no time between races to actually install one of those systems, let alone calibrate and tweak it from fresh.

Purported system and purported usage. The only thing we can do right now is speculate - nothing has been shown yet.

Cheer up - one zero excitement race out of 17 races is a better proportion than most previous AC events!

Mark
__________________

__________________
www.svreach.com

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2013, 11:36   #47
Registered User
 
Stu Jackson's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Cowichan Bay, BC (Maple Bay Marina)
Posts: 6,385
Re: Best America's Cup series EVER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris07732 View Post
I'm looking for a link that describes changes to Oracle's boat to explain the dramatic increase in speed. Anyone??

Latitude 38 - 'Lectronic Latitude
__________________

__________________
Stu Jackson
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, (Maple Bay Marina) SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2013, 11:48   #48
Senior Cruiser
 
delmarrey's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Now in Blaine, WA
Boat: Modified Choate 40
Posts: 10,702
Images: 122
Re: Best America's Cup series EVER!

What a great race!


.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Oracle_bridge.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	402.1 KB
ID:	67978  
__________________
Faithful are the Wounds of a Friend, but the Kisses of the Enemy are Deceitful! ........
A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves!

Unprepared boaters, end up as floatsum!.......
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2013, 11:51   #49
Senior Cruiser
 
colemj's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Presently on US East Coast
Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Posts: 10,049
Images: 12
Re: Best America's Cup series EVER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
That link is pure speculation referencing a letter by some unknown "Kiwi technology bloke," and spread around by Alan Wiltshire of Takapuna Beach, New Zealand.

Note that the person writing the "letter" is unnamed and the person spreading and publishing the "letter" is simply some property development realtor in NZ.

Again, nobody yet knows anything definitive and everything right now is speculation. Many publications are actually referencing the same couple of blog posts where the bloggers simply pulled speculation out of their rears.

Doesn't mean they are not correct, though - just that none of it is confirmed in any way.

Mark
__________________
www.svreach.com

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2013, 14:23   #50
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Highlands, NJ 07732
Boat: Laurent Giles Salar 40
Posts: 260
Re: Best America's Cup series EVER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
That link is pure speculation referencing a letter by some unknown "Kiwi technology bloke," and spread around by Alan Wiltshire of Takapuna Beach, New Zealand.

Note that the person writing the "letter" is unnamed and the person spreading and publishing the "letter" is simply some property development realtor in NZ.

Again, nobody yet knows anything definitive and everything right now is speculation. Many publications are actually referencing the same couple of blog posts where the bloggers simply pulled speculation out of their rears.

Doesn't mean they are not correct, though - just that none of it is confirmed in any way.

Mark
Still a great read. Thanks for posting it, Stu
__________________
chris07732 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2013, 12:22   #51
Senior Cruiser
 
delmarrey's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Now in Blaine, WA
Boat: Modified Choate 40
Posts: 10,702
Images: 122
Re: Best America's Cup series EVER!

Here is some good info on the technology.

Videos on Americas Cup Technology | Boating Safety Tips, Tricks & Thoughts from Captnmike
__________________
Faithful are the Wounds of a Friend, but the Kisses of the Enemy are Deceitful! ........
A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves!

Unprepared boaters, end up as floatsum!.......
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2013, 13:31   #52
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Edmonds, WA
Boat: 19T Gaff Cutter
Posts: 87
Re: Best America's Cup series EVER!

My wife and myself arrived in San Francisco with the score 8-1 not knowing if we would see any racing.......well miracle of miracles they did not lose another race. The Kiwis were a class act as was the City, even spent some time in the enemy camp ! lol.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5522.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	415.2 KB
ID:	68003  
__________________
Stonefloat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2013, 14:53   #53
Registered User
 
neelie's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: On the boat
Boat: Valiant 50
Posts: 514
Re: Best America's Cup series EVER!

All this speculation about the installation of a secret go fast weapon seems to have overlooked the arrival of Ben Ainslie and their subsequent winning streak. Carrying two tacticians who gelled and made them all sail a team was in my view one of the main reasons for the turnaround. They started sailing the boat better and better with each race. As Spithill says in every interview - its the team that made him look good and without them he would be nothing.
__________________
The light at the end of the tunnel are no longer the headlights of the oncoming train......yippee
neelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2013, 15:33   #54
Registered User
 
Albro359's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Elyse is in Fiji
Boat: Amel Super Maramu 2000
Posts: 510
Re: Best America's Cup series EVER!

Intrigued by the use of "we" by Oracle supporters...there was only one American on that boat !! So much for Team USA ... Ellison has so much money he just buys what he wants....and what will happen with the next Americas Cup ? Ellison will win by default 'cos he has the most money....hollow victory surely
__________________
See you out there ....... Alan S.V. Elyse
now http://svelyse.weebly.com
older http://voyagesofDIVA.weebly.com
Albro359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2013, 16:31   #55
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2010
Boat: Beneteau/343
Posts: 181
So, how many competitors are there typically? This has always been a sport for the very rich. Is this time all that different?
__________________
davefromoregon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2013, 16:55   #56
Senior Cruiser
 
colemj's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Presently on US East Coast
Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Posts: 10,049
Images: 12
Re: Best America's Cup series EVER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davefromoregon View Post
So, how many competitors are there typically? This has always been a sport for the very rich. Is this time all that different?
No. We hashed that out over on the "Twenty Knots" thread. Yes, the absolute dollars may be more this year (I don't know how it compared to the J-boat era in relative dollars), but the fact remains that this has always been a sport for the rich, and the highest technology/fastest boat has almost always won the event.

Past series included the likes of Vanderbilt, Sopwith, Lipton, Bond, Bich, Packer, and the list goes on. All of them some of the richest people in the world. A couple of them THE richest person in the world at the time.

While not a single person, the New York Yacht Club combined to put unbelievable wealth into their boat. They also took full advantage of having the cup by putting in place rules that were specifically meant to make it very difficult for a challenger to even get a boat to the race, let alone win it. It took a very rich Australian with some new technology to finally wrest it away from the NYYC and begin changing the boats and the rules to be more world-friendly.

Number of competitors ranges from 2 to a lot. The J-boat days were so rich that only 2 or 3 boats ever showed up for the challenger series. That is less than this year's event.

So, nothing is really any different than the past, but some people have had problems with the boats being catamarans and the fact that Larry Ellison is involved.

Mark
__________________
www.svreach.com

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2013, 17:04   #57
Registered User
 
thomm225's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Hampton Roads
Boat: 1974 Bristol 27
Posts: 3,456
Re: Best America's Cup series EVER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sardinebreath View Post
After finally conceding that their boat was not competitive, USA took a time out to tweak things in order to get back in it. Why, after it was clear beyond any doubt that the USA boat had become vastly superior, did NZ not do the same thing? Did anyone have any doubt that USA would power by NZ on the upwind leg in the last race after having done exactly that the previous day? The boats were essentially in different classes going upwind. I felt zero excitement about the final race because the result was clearly a foregone conclusion.
Yep, pretty much the only chance I saw for ETNZ was maybe playing their card for a lighter wind day.

The final race was only exciting because Dean Barker had an excellent start and was able to control Oracle on the first downwind leg. (Plus Oracle plowed in at the mark) Not a big deal, but good for TV.

In a normal catamaran race, that type thing happens all the time. In the old days, they would have pitchpoled, but with the newer, narrow, rounded hulls in the bow section that we've had since the late '90s todays catamarans pop right back up.

Speaking of todays catamarans, they are changing fast. This is the new NACRA F-17. It is so different from the one I raced 2002 - 2006. My bows were straight/ vertical as were the daggerboards. (but we could hit 25 knots on the old model) These newer boats have the wave piercing hulls/bow sections and the curved daggerboards like we saw on the AC72's. I'm sure the A Class Catamarans even have more similarities:

__________________
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2013, 17:14   #58
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Cruising NC, FL, Bahamas, TCI & VIs
Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide
Posts: 1,531
Re: Best America's Cup series EVER!

I suppose some in this thread do not like the Olympics either? I guess it is just WWF and NASCAR that are really "American" enough?
__________________
s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2013, 18:03   #59
Registered User
 
neelie's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: On the boat
Boat: Valiant 50
Posts: 514
Re: Best America's Cup series EVER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albro359 View Post
Intrigued by the use of "we" by Oracle supporters...there was only one American on that boat !! So much for Team USA ... Ellison has so much money he just buys what he wants....and what will happen with the next Americas Cup ? Ellison will win by default 'cos he has the most money....hollow victory surely

Come on.. don't be bitter. In this modern era of globalization and professional racing sailors, does it really matter about the nationality of the crews?

It was a GREAT SPECTACLE. A match between two excellent teams comprising of arguably the best match racing sailors in the world today.

This excellent AC series was made possible only because of Ellison's money. Like him or loathe him, this event has been the huge success because of him.

The real winner is yacht racing.
__________________
The light at the end of the tunnel are no longer the headlights of the oncoming train......yippee
neelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2013, 18:14   #60
Nearly an old salt
 
goboatingnow's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 13,649
Images: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by neelie View Post

Come on.. don't be bitter. In this modern era of globalization and professional racing sailors, does it really matter about the nationality of the crews?

It was a GREAT SPECTACLE. A match between two excellent teams comprising of arguably the best match racing sailors in the world today.

This excellent AC series was made possible only because of Ellison's money. Like him or loathe him, this event has been the huge success because of him.

The real winner is yacht racing.
Well how many other countries are prepared to put in $30 million dollars of public money! . The next AC will have Ellison racing against himself , unless the rules get changed.

Dave
__________________

__________________
Check out my new blog on smart boat technology, networking and gadgets for the connected sailor! - http://smartboats.tumblr.com
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 21:53.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.