Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 26-09-2013, 04:48   #31

Re: Best America's Cup series EVER!

They said SF would not work as a venue, they were wrong.
They said AC72s cant perform, they were wrong.
They said it would not be exciting, boy they were wrong!
They said Spithill is crazy when at 8-1 he said "i'm going to win this", they were wrong.

This has been in my view the best AC in history, as well as the greatest comeback in sports! Never stop fighting till the fight is over, that's what Oracle did and they won.

Awesome regatta. Now its a matter of lowering the cost to attract more teams for the next one.

Old 27-09-2013, 11:33   #32
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide
Thumbs up Re: Best America's Cup series EVER!

The kiwis are a class act!

Full page add in the SF Chronicle from the NZ government thanking the city for being such a great host.

Very cool.... And consistent with every Kiwi I talked to... Great folks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	403.2 KB
ID:	67939  

Old 27-09-2013, 11:54   #33

Boat: Irwin sloop

Oracle's change from "U" shaped foils to the "L" shape seemed to make a huge difference in boat performance. Not sure why they didn't start out with them.
Old 28-09-2013, 04:06   #34

Boat: 45ft Ketch

I've heard that Oracle was being directed by an aircraft technology computer powered by the grinders. Faster interpretation, readouts and decision-making. Minimised errors as well. Declared legit by the race committee.
Old 28-09-2013, 05:09   #35
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Corsair Dash MKII

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
Don't you mean Go USD
(US Dollar)

There was stuff all American involvement out on the water other than what $$$$ paid for
Yep. It's great to see Aus take its second cup
Old 28-09-2013, 05:43   #36
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Laurent Giles Salar 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
Oracle's change from "U" shaped foils to the "L" shape seemed to make a huge difference in boat performance. Not sure why they didn't start out with them.
I'm looking for a link that describes changes to Oracle's boat to explain the dramatic increase in speed. Anyone??
Old 28-09-2013, 07:19   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumnMad View Post
I've heard that Oracle was being directed by an aircraft technology computer powered by the grinders. Faster interpretation, readouts and decision-making. Minimised errors as well. Declared legit by the race committee.
And that same committee declared they could not have hydraulic pumps on board and had to use manpower to pump up the hydraulics.
Old 28-09-2013, 08:35   #38

Boat: Kelsall Suncat 40

Power vs Control

There is a big difference in these two concepts.

I am no expert, but I think there might have been an issue with CONTROL. There is no issue with power, because it pretty much all comes from the grinders.

However, if the foils were controlled (not powered) by a computer, what does that mean according to the AC rules? According to a quote from colemj (Mark), all control must be manual.

Anyone have anything more specific?

Jimbo485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2013, 08:47   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo485 View Post
I am no expert, but I think there might have been an issue with CONTROL. There is no issue with power, because it pretty much all comes from the grinders.
But the average age of the crew on ETNZ was 10 years older than on OTUSA. I'll take the 30 year-olds power over the 40 year-olds.
Old 28-09-2013, 08:54   #40
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Yes, power isn't the issue - only control of that power.

I have not found anything more than speculation yet, but am very curious. The rules seem extremely specific on computers and control - to the point of explicitly stating that any data acquisition systems, sensor and electronic controls must be physically separate and completely isolated from any electrical operation of hydraulic valves and drive clutches.

The purported system has been on Oracle since the beginning and TNZ asked for a ruling in the beginning. The rules committee accepted Oracle's system as legal. Oracle claims that their boat was remeasured before every race and obtained clean certificates. This doesn't seem like a lie, because it is public that it was so.

Oracle originally gave up on using the system because they could never get it to work. They seemed to go on a crash program to get it working when TNZ was demonstrably faster in the earlier races - particularly upwind.

The one thing that has come out is that Oracle bet BIG on weather. They made a lot of changes to the boat that required heavier winds to work. Even the control system is speculated to have used smaller foils and require foiling upwind at specific speeds to get better VMG. Any lesser wind, or flukier wind, would bring them off their foils and they would lose by a large margin.

You could see this on the upwind leg, where Oracle was foiling at larger angles than TNZ and the VMG was pretty much even until boat speed hit ~28kts. It was only then that Oracle started to walk TNZ upwind at their larger angles.

Perhaps TNZ's largest mistake of the whole series was not pulling their lay-day card and waiting for the next day's light winds.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2013, 09:29   #41

While it may not technically be cheating, it certainly has bad optics that Oracle was down 8-1, installs this piece of aircraft technology to control the foils, and PRESTO! then wins the next 8 races.

It also points out how these things really are closer to planes than boats. The equipment they installed (evidently sometimes called on planes a "Little Herbie") was invented by Boeing to control yaw. On planes it will help get out of a "Dutch Roll".

Perhaps the Dutch members of this board could explain the term

And - just in case - here's how to get out of a Dutch Roll.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Du..._Technique.jpg
Old 28-09-2013, 09:50   #42
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
It also points out how these things really are closer to planes than boats. The equipment they installed (evidently sometimes called on planes a "Little Herbie") was invented by Boeing to control yaw. On planes it will help get out of a "Dutch Roll".
Not anymore than it makes the newest planes using advanced composites closer to boats than planes. Or boats using GPS closer to battle tanks and cruise missiles than boats.

I am having a difficult time equating the use of a system with a type of craft.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Old 28-09-2013, 10:18   #43

Boat: Switch 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
The purported system has been on Oracle since the beginning and TNZ asked for a ruling in the beginning. The rules committee accepted Oracle's system as legal.
This is not exactly as I have read. I read that ETNZ asked for a ruling but it was denied as being submitted too late. But the jury purportedly said they would have found it legal if timely submitted anyway.
Old 28-09-2013, 10:36   #44

After finally conceding that their boat was not competitive, USA took a time out to tweak things in order to get back in it. Why, after it was clear beyond any doubt that the USA boat had become vastly superior, did NZ not do the same thing? Did anyone have any doubt that USA would power by NZ on the upwind leg in the last race after having done exactly that the previous day? The boats were essentially in different classes going upwind. I felt zero excitement about the final race because the result was clearly a foregone conclusion.
Old 28-09-2013, 11:14   #45
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVNeko View Post
This is not exactly as I have read. I read that ETNZ asked for a ruling but it was denied as being submitted too late. But the jury purportedly said they would have found it legal if timely submitted anyway.
Yes, that is exactly the way I should have stated it. In the meantime, the boat was remeasured every race day, so any issues should have come up during those.

Mark

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: